PDA

View Full Version : What accessory to manage lens changing?

nutsnbolts
17th of August 2007 (Fri), 12:27
Ok, I know that there are vests, harnesses and what not but I don't want to stand out too much. Given the circumstance that I either carry my Vertex 200 or Slingshot 300, lens changing is obviously not as easy as getting to my camera if I'm using the slingshot.

What do you guys use to have the lens easily accesible? I know that there are carriers out there for lenses but I want to know what is really practical? I'm looking for at least 1 or two carriers/holders for 2 lens for that's what I usually use at any given time.

Jon
17th of August 2007 (Fri), 12:34
That's why I like the Domke shoulder bags unless walking rather than photographing is my primary purpose. Bag's right at my side to catch the old lens while I attach the new one. No muss, no fuss.

nutsnbolts
17th of August 2007 (Fri), 13:02
That's why I like the Domke shoulder bags unless walking rather than photographing is my primary purpose. Bag's right at my side to catch the old lens while I attach the new one. No muss, no fuss.

Well, I have the Domke f-3x and let's just say I use it to carry my 2 lens and camera. That's it really. It's nice but well, I wish I had a little more room.

Then again, it's a totally different purpose altogether, I'm looking for something I can attach to my backpack per say.

DavidW
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 05:26
You can carry a Lowepro Toploader on most backpack harnesses - you need one with a Toploader Chest Harness included, such as the Toploader 75AW, or buy a separate harness to dismember for the straps. If you search the forums, at least one person is doing this - hopefully you can find the reference.

For extra lenses, use Lowepro Lens Cases sliplocked to the side of the Toploader.

David

Eagle
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:11
I think any shoulder bag will do. I use the Lowepro Nova 5 and switching lenses is done with ease.

JWright
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 15:46
Pouches on belts work well also.

Tapeman
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 16:28
A shoulder bag would be my first choice.

nutsnbolts
18th of August 2007 (Sat), 23:00
I'm looking for something that can attach to a bag or backpack. It's essentially going to be used when I'm ready to start taking pictures, just something to drop the lens in and out when i need it instead of opening and closing the backpack (nevermind removing it on and off)

MDJAK
19th of August 2007 (Sun), 16:25
Besides the quick lens changer pouches from ThinkTank, I find the Slingshot works perfectly. Especially if I'm planning on carrying my camera separately from the bag. I can carry two or three lenses in it, swing it around and change them quite easily.

mark

JohnJ80
19th of August 2007 (Sun), 16:25
Ok, I know that there are vests, harnesses and what not but I don't want to stand out too much. Given the circumstance that I either carry my Vertex 200 or Slingshot 300, lens changing is obviously not as easy as getting to my camera if I'm using the slingshot.

What do you guys use to have the lens easily accesible? I know that there are carriers out there for lenses but I want to know what is really practical? I'm looking for at least 1 or two carriers/holders for 2 lens for that's what I usually use at any given time.

The Think Tank Change Up is the one for me. Been using this bag hard now for 3 months. It is better than pockets.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ChngUp.php

J.

nutsnbolts
19th of August 2007 (Sun), 18:55
Besides the quick lens changer pouches from ThinkTank, I find the Slingshot works perfectly. Especially if I'm planning on carrying my camera separately from the bag. I can carry two or three lenses in it, swing it around and change them quite easily.

mark

That's fine and dandy, I have the 300 slingshot and it does great with the in and out of the camera, unfortunately, once i have the camera out, getting the lens is another story. I would like to have something external I guess to plop my lens in and out.

nutsnbolts
19th of August 2007 (Sun), 18:57
The Think Tank Change Up is the one for me. Been using this bag hard now for 3 months. It is better than pockets.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ChngUp.php

J.

In theory, the most I used at a time is three lenses, usually I have the 70-200 out, the 85 or 50 or 17-55. So essentially, if I need the 85, the 50 stays in or vice versa while the 17-55 will be on there for the most part or the 70-200.

Do you have two thinktank pouches or only one? And if you only have one, do you feel that you should have gotten two, in other words, is one enough?

JohnJ80
19th of August 2007 (Sun), 19:18
I typically use 2 or 3 lenses - 24-105, 70-200 f/4L IS and a 300f/4L IS.

I can get the 5D in the bag with the 70-200 f/4 alongside it. 300 f/4 can replace the 70-200.

If I need to carry more lenses, I just add a lens changer on the changeup. Because of the harness capability, you can carry more than you would with just a belt pack.

If I were carrying three lenses and not the 300, I could get them all in the changeup while shooting and keeping the camera out of the bag.

When shooting with just a belt system and using two lenses, I carry two lens changers. One with the extra lens in it, the other as the place to put the lens I'm taking off into first. This works really well for fast changes.

J

nutsnbolts
19th of August 2007 (Sun), 19:33
I typically use 2 or 3 lenses - 24-105, 70-200 f/4L IS and a 300f/4L IS.

I can get the 5D in the bag with the 70-200 f/4 alongside it. 300 f/4 can replace the 70-200.

If I need to carry more lenses, I just add a lens changer on the changeup. Because of the harness capability, you can carry more than you would with just a belt pack.

If I were carrying three lenses and not the 300, I could get them all in the changeup while shooting and keeping the camera out of the bag.

When shooting with just a belt system and using two lenses, I carry two lens changers. One with the extra lens in it, the other as the place to put the lens I'm taking off into first. This works really well for fast changes.

J

Ahh I technically need two. That makes sense. Good thing I asked. Look at this.

I'm thinking of actually getting these two..

Here is the quick drop in. Trying to think though whether my wide angle would fit in it. Not like I use it all the time but just curious I guess. Not a deal breaker.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_LnsDrpIn.php

Anyone have any experience with this.

Now, instead of getting two of the above, I'm thinking of getting this along with it.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_LC75PpDwn.php

This actually doubles as a holster when I have my 70-200 around, I know I'm always hugging it as I perouse through the crowds.

Anyone have experience in this?

Rehuel
19th of August 2007 (Sun), 20:18
I personally attach two Lowepro lens cases to my Vortex 300. Use the sliplock on the lens cases and attach them to the belt of the back pack. I use the front ones which gives me a good position to reach the lenses. That will give you two lenses in cases and one on the camera for a total of three.