PDA

View Full Version : Artist at the Met

simmonsrandal
1st of July 2002 (Mon), 22:47
My first picture for critique. All critisism/ suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Randal

http://members.cox.net/illuminati/artist.jpg

dn7elson
2nd of July 2002 (Tue), 11:28
I like the shot. Timing is perfect as the artist seems to be contemplating his palette.

I wonder if it might have been even more expressive in landscape format?

In a museum, lighting (flash) can be an issue so speed and DOF can be limited unless you shoot from a tripod. The image darkens to the right and becomes less focused, likely a result of this condition.

Leighow
2nd of July 2002 (Tue), 12:24
Randal

I like the shot . It is soft, thanks I assume to natural lighting (although the artist’s arms look a tinge reddish.

However, I just don't feel comfortable with live paint next to a master. Plus the "new work" looks fairly complete. I just refuse to believe that musem staff would allow anyone on the floor. So if find the shot to be unbelievable.If the objective of the exercise was to convey a message of student-master continuity over time, a sketch book in hand and some sort of visual examination of the original might have been more convincing to me.

I hope that I have not missed the point.

HOWIE

simmonsrandal
2nd of July 2002 (Tue), 19:30
dn7elson & leighow,

Thanks for the feedback.

The museum actually had several people inside painting and the staff/security didnt seem to mind.

I was unable to use a flash as "flash photography" was not allowed.

Is there a way to sharpen this picture up?

Thanks again,
Randal

clkgtr37
2nd of July 2002 (Tue), 22:46
Randel,
Beautiful picture.
What settings did you use and what post exposure work did this piece recieve.
Thank you,
Blair

MickDublin
3rd of July 2002 (Wed), 05:41
Really nice photo. Did u take any more of the artist, as the potential is there for a great photo-essay.

Good luck

Mick

Leighow
3rd of July 2002 (Wed), 15:49
RANDAL

I am no whiz on "sharpening" and I only have experience with my G2. Here I use the Unmask Sharpening function in PS 5.

If you are using a D30, and do not hear from other users, I suggest that you look for the linear sharpening software that I believe Pekka has made available elsewhere. I have seen some rave reviews about same. Your picture looks pretty sharp to me. Certainly the oak flooring's grain is perfect…at least in the foreground.

I might add that I like the student-master depiction here, and this artist looks young and involved. Also, because he is in the "light" I am not put off by the right side’s shadowing -- which I assume to be due in part to window or column affects. Also, I find that the scale of everything grows on you…as does the spatial play and size relationships between the wall… floor… and the paintings themselves.

HOWIE

simmonsrandal
5th of July 2002 (Fri), 15:10
clkgtr37,

I have done any post exposure work on this picture (i'm still a real photoshop novice).

the settings are as below.

Regards,
Randal

Camera Model Name
Canon PowerShot G1
Shooting Date/Time
6/25/2002 12:16:08 PM
Shooting Mode
Auto
Tv (Shutter Speed)
1/20
Av (Aperture Value)
Metering Mode
Center-weighted averaging
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Auto
Lens
7.0 - 21.0 mm
Focal Length
8.3 mm
Digital Zoom
None
Image Size
1024 x 768
Image Quality
Super Fine
Flash
Off
White Balance
Auto
AF Mode
Continuous
Parameters
Contrast Normal
Sharpness Normal
Color Saturation Normal
File Size
523 KB
Serial Number
100-0084
Drive Mode
Single-frame shooting
Macro
Off

jasenh7
9th of July 2002 (Tue), 00:01
Nice shot. I also like how you got the artist pondering his next brush stroke. Does he know you copied the painting faster than he did?? :)

avisprobob
12th of July 2002 (Fri), 13:02
That was done with the G1 ???!!!!!!!!

The sharpness is really good----opposed to what I've seen done with the G2. Maybe they made the lens cheaper for the G2's ? But that would be hardly believeable.

Your sharpness....I don't get it. I not sure what to think.