PDA

View Full Version : (OT) Things life throws at you

shesgotthepic
20th of August 2007 (Mon), 02:34
There has been a sudden turn of events in my life. I was over to se my family in Sweden for 10 days. It was a blast. I also learnt that my reptilian brain with have me killed one day. I'm one of those who stop thinking emotionally and just act when things go wrong. So when my sister's horse jumps the breast bar in the trailer in a silly attempt of committing suicide I'm in the trailer before anyone blinks to dismantle it and save the horse. Horse is fine, no problem. Trailer was put back together later that day as well.

The day after (sunday) I'm flying back to UK. By friday I realize I haven't checked text messages on my phone, so I do. 5 minutes later I'm busy pulling boxes out of the basement, suitcases down from the attic and ripping stuff out of my wardrobe. When I finally get hold of my parents I shout "I'm coming home!"

My sister had an epileptic seizure wednesday afternoon. She was rushed to hospital in an ambulance. Allowed to come back home over the weekend and was supposed to go back in today. She got back in yesterday when mom thought that she was acting a little too strange and stopped remembering things.

MRI and scans have been done. Preliminary results on the MRI says everything is fine. Still waiting for results on the elctrio whatsits.

My parents are aging. My sister lives on a cottage on the neighboring farm. My parents' place has a few acres and stables with my sisters' horses. There are cats, dogs and rabbits to tend to. My sister is also a 3 times kidney transplantee. There is a suspision that her anti-rejection drugs is causing this.

My car just failed MOT and is in a garage being repaired. I'm packing and sorting (James, Tipsy, selling loads of household stuff if you are looking for things. Just let me know.) so that what I'm bringing back to sweden is only what fits in the Mondeo. Nothing more. The rest is to be sold or in to storage. I might ship the rest at a later stage or I might be back in UK in 6 months to a year. No one knows yet.

The good thing is that I will have wildlife around the corner and 90 minutes down the road is one of the country's main gigs. I have friends at the promoter's office so will see if I can't get myself a permanent photo pass for it. A few clubs in town as well (all though the town has a dome/cathedral it is very small. only 18.000 occupants. Another good friend of mine is a press photographer. I'll try go see him and his girlfriend and have a few lessons while there.

Funny, when I was over there walking around the town center I said I could never see myself moving back. Now I can't get there fast enough. I'm shipping out in two weeks.

That part of he brain that acts on instinct will be the death of me.

/She

Ps. Tipsy, if you want to make sure I'm all female you better hurry up.

DwightMcCann
20th of August 2007 (Mon), 12:51
Exciting times, SHE! It's not quite clear to me why you are going home ... because your sister needs a caretaker and your parents aren't capable? Sister has no significant other either? That must run in the family, eh? And you prefer to be in the middle of all this rather than in a distant country? I'm not sure what I would do, but then I have substantial ties to my community, family and work.

I hope you don't frighten Tipsy with such aggressive talk!

Please remember you are always welcome to come visit us if things get too far out of hand or events require a significant recovery. :-)

shesgotthepic
20th of August 2007 (Mon), 13:34
She does not need a care taker but I know what my family is like. They tend to run around like headless chicken when **** hits the fan whereas I just go in to action. Whatever is causing the epilepsia has to be investigated and if it is the anti rejection medication then there is further compications to find replacement drugs that will work.

Family is important. I've been living abroad for 4 years now. It's time to go home. Now is as good a time as ever. When over there last week I really did not want to get on that flight back to UK. I haven't been happy in UK for a while. Not trying to run away and I know you can't go back to what was. It's a new phase.

I'm sure I'll be back in UK again eventually.

I am most definitely not leaving the board so you guys are not rid of me. HA! :p I'll just be posting more diverse images as I will have more diverse things to photograph. And I'll be closer to Kalle. Maybe I'll pop over to his place and see if I can have a lesson or two. ;)

Anyway - waiting to hear what the neurologist had to say. They wanted to see her today considering her short term memory is some what gone.

johnstoy
20th of August 2007 (Mon), 13:40
Quite an adventure... Family is always enjoyable company... Epilepsy can be worked with through regular doses of medicine and regular Dr. check ups... I was on medicine for a while, after a near fatal head injury from a car accident...

Family is great to have around ... And the farm sounds great...

DwightMcCann
20th of August 2007 (Mon), 13:42
I was on medicine for a while, after a near fatal head injury from a car accident...

I thought it was fatal, John! ;)

shesgotthepic
20th of August 2007 (Mon), 13:51
Quite an adventure... Family is always enjoyable company... Epilepsy can be worked with through regular doses of medicine and regular Dr. check ups... I was on medicine for a while, after a near fatal head injury from a car accident...

Family is great to have around ... And the farm sounds great...

I know it can. Hopefully she will not have to lose her driving license. That is quite a worry as she is successfully competing in western riding and she just recently finished a job as production crew on the biggest budgeted feature film in Sweden and wants to continue working as film crew. Driving license is a must.

Me coming back gives them some breathing space to get themselves sorted and organized.

The farm is great. It is small, not a working farm. Just under 10 acres (4 hectares, just did the conversion) of land, stables, horses, cats, dogs. I still have a horse there and my 3 cats so I'd be back with them again. Got a horse here that needs to be shipped back to Sweden in about 2 months as he is on loan.

It's right in the middle of a forest. No neighbours in sight. Deer, elks, foxes, bats (found a bat in the attic I photographed last week). Massive big bird sanctuary on the door step. I'll post some pictures of the place once back out there.

/T

johnstoy
20th of August 2007 (Mon), 14:59
I thought it was fatal, John! ;)
That's a good one Dwight...
The first cops on the accident scene said it was pretty grim... The other "Jeep" ran a stop sign... Man, that sh_t hurts... couldn't move my head for half a year... You know what saved me is having the seatbelt on, and both hands on the steering wheel ... With no time to react, other than to hold on tight to the steering wheel and resist the impact with all the strength possible...Almost broke both wrists while at it... Cracked my head open and the "axis" in my neck... My knee took a shot too...and now years later, the knees are staring to give me a lot of problems...

Just got an Email... Will probably have two pictures published in the Camden, NJ Daily newspaper, this Wednesday... Their circulation is probably close to 1 million...

I know it can. Hopefully she will not have to lose her driving license. That is quite a worry as she is successfully competing in western riding and she just recently finished a job as production crew on the biggest budgeted feature film in Sweden and wants to continue working as film crew. Driving license is a must.

Me coming back gives them some breathing space to get themselves sorted and organized.

The farm is great. It is small, not a working farm. Just under 10 acres (4 hectares, just did the conversion) of land, stables, horses, cats, dogs. I still have a horse there and my 3 cats so I'd be back with them again. Got a horse here that needs to be shipped back to Sweden in about 2 months as he is on loan.

It's right in the middle of a forest. No neighbours in sight. Deer, elks, foxes, bats (found a bat in the attic I photographed last week). Massive big bird sanctuary on the door step. I'll post some pictures of the place once back out there.

/T

Lots of city people just dream of going to a "heavenly farm" like the one you describe... I'm taking some time off from photographing the shows to work around the house too... Nature has a lot to offer, in terms of subjects to photograph... You could compile it into a book and publish it... Children's books are always big sellers in the US...

shesgotthepic
20th of August 2007 (Mon), 16:07
You know what saved me is having the seatbelt on, and both hands on the steering wheel

I crawled out of a wreck that was upside down, once. What saved me was not having a seatbelt and being the front seat passenger. Driver had no belt on either. When it all went quiet I found myself in the ceiling in the back. Front was smashed in. No space for two there. Driver was in the front across the ceiling. Front windshield was 10-15 feet up the hill from where we had come. We were unharmed apart from minor scratches and bruises. I had a swollen neck the next day so went to hospital and had x-rays checking for whiplash.

I ALWAYS wear a belt these days. I've also turned in to a terrified passenger.

Lots of city people just dream of going to a "heavenly farm" like the one you describe... I'm taking some time off from photographing the shows to work around the house too... Nature has a lot to offer, in terms of subjects to photograph... You could compile it into a book and publish it... Children's books are always big sellers in the US...

Thinks for the hint.

Here (http://shesgotthepic.com/farm) are a few wintery images of the place.

Barn and chicken house (wire is now gone) and a tree in one of the horse fields. As this is performance art I didn't post the images. Just a link to the directory.

johnstoy
20th of August 2007 (Mon), 16:58
Me too... Always a seat belt on, both hands on the steering wheel... Also upgraded from a sedan to a full size 8 cyl. 4 x 4 pick up truck...

The farm house looks to offer lots of room for storage... Friends of mine in school used to live in one that was converted to an apartment upstairs... The horse lived downstairs... Always a great place to hang out...

shesgotthepic
20th of August 2007 (Mon), 17:56
Me too... Always a seat belt on, both hands on the steering wheel... Also upgraded from a sedan to a full size 8 cyl. 4 x 4 pick up truck...

Please don't tell me it's the toyota hilux 4x4. If it is I'll marry you and have your children....

The farm house looks to offer lots of room for storage... Friends of mine in school used to live in one that was converted to an apartment upstairs... The horse lived downstairs... Always a great place to hang out...

Been my plan for ages. Barn is much bigger than the house. It'll either be a loft apartment there or one over the garage. There are 4 outbuildings in total + main house at the place.

Anyway - sleep is imminent.

rab_cilbup
21st of August 2007 (Tue), 03:11
Cracked my head open and the "axis" in my neck... My knee took a shot too...

Ouch !

I was in a major RTA about 9-10 years ago, managed to break my left leg, fracture the orbit in my right cheekbone, shatter my right elbow and put a hole in my right leg down to the bone.

Have got some 'interesting' scars, it's a good thing I don't do self portraits :lol:

Jim G
21st of August 2007 (Tue), 04:05
Hopefully she will not have to lose her driving license. That is quite a worry as she is successfully competing in western riding and she just recently finished a job as production crew on the biggest budgeted feature film in Sweden and wants to continue working as film crew. Driving license is a must.

A friend of mine has epilepsy (brought on by a head injury, they suspect) and hasn't lost his license - they still let him drive though I'm not sure if there's any restrictions (i.e. can't drive for a short period after a seizure etc.). Not sure what the regulations are in the UK but having epilepsy doesn't guarantee you losing your license over here.

shesgotthepic
21st of August 2007 (Tue), 05:50
A friend of mine has epilepsy (brought on by a head injury, they suspect) and hasn't lost his license - they still let him drive though I'm not sure if there's any restrictions (i.e. can't drive for a short period after a seizure etc.). Not sure what the regulations are in the UK but having epilepsy doesn't guarantee you losing your license over here.

Well, so far they haven't revoked it but she has been told she may lose it if they can't control the epilepsy. It is most likely drug induced by the cocktail of anti-rejection drugs she is taking for the kidney so that does complicates matter.

I know that when I get there I'll teach mom about ebay (now that she has a G4 PowerMac) and start getting rid of stuff from the loft above the garage. I'd love to turn that in to a makeshift studio. Then there is a massive space in the barn with high ceiling which I'd happily turn in to a flat. Would probably cost a fortune to do but.....

Anyway - I better get going here.

Sold the Tamrac bag. Yiihaa!

rab_cilbup
21st of August 2007 (Tue), 08:31
...and good luck btw !!! :)

narlus
21st of August 2007 (Tue), 08:48
good luck SGTP! sounds like you are ready for the changes.

tipsy
21st of August 2007 (Tue), 12:21
good luck she. let me know if and when you come back and me you and james can all meet up in cheltenham or something.

I've been too busy with a levels and america recently.

Hope everything goes okay and your sister is alright, at least you have some decent subjects to photography.

x

René Damkot
24th of August 2007 (Fri), 07:17
Good luck from me as well.

johnstoy
24th of August 2007 (Fri), 12:53
I crawled out of a wreck that was upside down, once. What saved me was not having a seatbelt and being the front seat passenger. Driver had no belt on either. When it all went quiet I found myself in the ceiling in the back. Front was smashed in. No space for two there. Driver was in the front across the ceiling. Front windshield was 10-15 feet up the hill from where we had come. We were unharmed apart from minor scratches and bruises. I had a swollen neck the next day so went to hospital and had x-rays checking for whiplash.

I ALWAYS wear a belt these days. I've also turned in to a terrified passenger.

Thinks for the hint.

Here (http://shesgotthepic.com/farm) are a few wintery images of the place.

Barn and chicken house (wire is now gone) and a tree in one of the horse fields. As this is performance art I didn't post the images. Just a link to the directory.

Terrified passenger is almost as bad as a terrified driver... Than you would be reluctant to go anywhere.

The farm buildings look like a lot of fun... Post some pics in Nature and share the links with us here...

Please don't tell me it's the toyota hilux 4x4. If it is I'll marry you and have your children....

Been my plan for ages. Barn is much bigger than the house. It'll either be a loft apartment there or one over the garage. There are 4 outbuildings in total + main house at the place.

Anyway - sleep is imminent.

Not to worry too much... I have a GMC Sierra 4x4 Pick Up truck, with an 8' bed and a Vortec V-8 engine... It's a powerhouse, gas guzzler... It's a good thing I'm retired and only use it to haul landscape materials around my yard, and the daily trip to town...

Ouch !

I was in a major RTA about 9-10 years ago, managed to break my left leg, fracture the orbit in my right cheekbone, shatter my right elbow and put a hole in my right leg down to the bone.

Have got some 'interesting' scars, it's a good thing I don't do self portraits :lol:

Good thing you got out of it OK rab_cilbup...

Although my pick up truck isn't the safest of vehicles to be driving when in an accident ... it is "big", and oncoming traffic (including the real big SUV vehicles) tend to stay in their lanes... I hate it, when big vehicles hog the road, creep across lanes and intimidate small cars...

shesgotthepic
24th of August 2007 (Fri), 15:47
Terrified passenger is almost as bad as a terrified driver... Than you would be reluctant to go anywhere.

It does depend who is doing the driving. There are a few who drive so well I can relax enough to even sleep. One of them is in a wheel chair.

The farm buildings look like a lot of fun... Post some pics in Nature and share the links with us here...

There will be loads. Don't worry.

Not to worry too much...

Come to think of it, didn't I divorce you for a guy with a 1DmkIII ??

/She

DwightMcCann
24th of August 2007 (Fri), 15:49
Come to think of it, didn't I divorce you for a guy with a 1DmkIII ??

/She

Rats! I got 'em in my budget but I'm not ready to make the leap until more dust about the AF issues settles!

shesgotthepic
4th of September 2007 (Tue), 19:42
Quick update.

I'm in Hannover right now staying at a musician friend house. Known him for almost 25 years and we're talking about getting the old gang together and go do town. Driving to here was a long one.

It was cool hooking up with René Damkot, who doesn't look at all what I thought and is about 20 years younger than I had pegged him to be. thank you for telling me to go via Vreden. A very scenic route. I wish I had had the time to snap some pictures but I was on a mission.

I'll be here for a few days. Trying to find out if friends are playing anywhere just to be able to go and try out the new Tokina lens.

I will be posting some very different performance art pictures once I'm at the final destination. René knows what I mean. ;)

She

johnstoy
4th of September 2007 (Tue), 21:57
That's so cool... You guys are lucky... It's worth while keeping in touch... Cheers...