PDA

View Full Version : Red-Ringed Tupperware Party with (ineffective) Tin Foil Hats (3)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Claire
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 06:29
Which image? Id on't see any...

I attached an image, you don't see it?

-spam-
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 06:31
OMG SCORE!!!!!!!!!

<snip>

SCORE!!!!!

Wow, that pretty awesome. Good score indeed :D

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 06:40
you better be careful or you woolburr doggie will bite you for saying mu

I have food...I'm safe;)

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 06:44
fell asleep in the car :p

That's the Claire we know!:lol:

Claire
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 06:48
That's the Claire we know!:lol:

To my defence my other work colleague did as well. :p

wu_wei0
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 06:51
Lovely photo, Claire! It is very striking.

wakko
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 06:52
nice shot claire :) love shots like that.

-spam-
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 06:58
I just realised, ive got more posts in here that Permie at the moment :shock:

Wonder how long thats going to last :rolleyes::p

Lightstream
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 06:59
Wow, that pretty awesome. Good score indeed :D

Specially for US$20.. $24 in the local money here. Loader + free film + a blast from the past and a look at what Tri-X used to be. Kodak recently changed the emulsion and it's obvious. With either Ilford ID-11/Kodak HC-110 soup, acetic acid (vinegar) stop bath and Ilford Rapid Fixer, current-gen 400TX appears to have a purple cast in the backing. It doesn't show up on scans but it's there. Hypo clearing agent (HCA) may fix it but I don't use HCA since Rapid Fixer has no hypo. Rapid Fixer is ammonium thiosulfate.. hypo is sodium thiosulfate.

Old-skewl Kodak Tri-X clears to a neutral gray backing when it hasn't been fogged from light. My sprocket holes are badly fogged since this would allow light to seep through the layers, but I don't worry about that since most of the image is useable. Just think of it like a carp factor...... :D :D

Claire
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:05
I'm falling asleep at work and counting down until it's the end of work day. So I might as well post images here. hehe

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:18
Interesting poseys and bug Claire....the other shot of the window was rather interesting as well...great contrast in the colors.

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:35
Here are some red ones.
http://www.pbase.com/woolburr/image/85806030.jpg

-spam-
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:41
well, as TD would say...

G'night plastic dish people

dont y'all talk too much tonight ;)

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:42
Later Spammy!

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:51
night spammy

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:54
The photo of your daughter would benefit from a bit tighter crop...Perhaps something like this...since you have image edit on.

Nice job, Dan, How in the heck did I miss this last night, uh, this morning?....I like the crop and what effect did you use for the "creamyness"?.....

Is Mooing the proper way to enter the room then?.....I wouldnt want to schirk tradition, being a noooob and all......

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:55
night Spam....or good morning......ah, heck. Im so confused.....

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:56
A moo will always do around here...or a kvack...or a mu...or some other strange noise..

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:58
well, a big mooooooooo to all!!!!!!!

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:59
or you can be alternative and go for the toaster ping
http://www.animationplayhouse.com/toaster1.gif
weight for the toast to appear and then shout
PING

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 07:59
I assumed you saw it and didn't care for it...so I didn't go any further...as far as the processing goes...I have a couple of different actions for PS Elements that I came up with to use on people shots...just a basic soften via gaussian blur...adjust levels...a touch of USM and the image is done. Biggest thing was cropping it to get rid of the extra space that was eating it up.

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 08:01
I'm off for a while...later.

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 08:03
toodles wool

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 08:04
I do care for it, I do!.....lol, I just didnt see it....i was having a hard time keeping up with all that was going on....Im glad I reviewed! see you later!

Claire
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 08:09
i'm looking at the POTN boko again to see what shipping rate is now...

*GASP*
Ok, this is even worse than last time I think!
UPS Express Saver

$86.78
UPS Express

$100.40
UPS Standard

$647.97

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 08:13

*GASP*
UPS Express Saver

$86.78
UPS Express

$100.40
UPS Standard

$647.97

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Claire
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 08:14
I've PM:ed Bruce. He never got back in his old thread after checking shipping rates.

wu_wei0
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 08:16

*GASP*
UPS Express Saver

$86.78
UPS Express

$100.40
UPS Standard

$647.97something is very wrong. wonder how much it would be for me to ship to you from tx. I'll check into it later and get back to you. heading out to be grown up for a while

T.D.
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 08:19
Ugh... Keeping up in here is hard!! Good thing I don't care about post counts and rankings :-D

Glad to see some life in here again, it sure was dull for a few days....

I am done reading for the night, off to bed, then my hellish day of school starts...

7:40am class
9:05am class
10:30am class
6:40pm class

Oh yeah - sucks to be me!!

Oh come on, put on your Big Boy pants and suck it up!

Here's my schedule today:

8:00 interview potential employee
8:45 interview potential employee
9:30 interview potential employee
10:15 interview potential employee
11:00 interview potential employee
1:00 interview potential employee
1:45 meeting
3:00 meeting
5:30 meeting

And sometime in there I've got to get to my inbox and phone messages. Forget about any other actual work today.

well, as TD would say...

G'night plastic dish people

dont y'all talk too much tonight ;)

:oops::oops:It's true. It's all true.:oops::oops:

DDA
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 08:36
Been sleepy over the weekend in general, then went to whoel day conferene with work yesterday. Meetings whole day, waaay too much good food, 2 cocktails and three glasses of wine. I slept like a log at 1am. Didn't want to get up this morning and fell asleep in the car on the way back to the office. :p

I hope you weren't driving :lol:

OMG SCORE!!!!!!!!!

SCORE!!!!!

Great!

Wooof to all of you!

Claire
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 08:40
One more hour, then I'm outta here!

Lightstream
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 08:41
Kvack Moo.

Night spam.

Spam is in the strange land Down Under, hence the odd schedule. We have a very international audience here. May I recommend World Time at www.pawprint.net .. set your clocks to EST, PST, CST, GMT, Swedish, Swiss, Australian and African* time - there are probably a couple I forgot, but yeah...

(* until CDS returns.)

DDA
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 09:02
Lots of people on the forum lately, I see a lot sof those...

Most users ever online was 2,739, 17 Hours Ago at 10:32 PM.

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 09:02
just a few then . . . . .

Lightstream
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 09:23
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=217&cpage=1&perpage=15&cat=27#poststart

Another lens that's calling my name at this time.

This would be the ultimate events lens. I've already proved on a multitude of occasions that I can shoot at f/5.6 and therefore aperture is not critical to my style of shooting. Zoom flexibility however is at an extreme premium. My subjects don't stick around.. heck my job is to catch them off guard.

Plus it would look awesome showing up with that hardware.. the LOOKS I'd get :D

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 09:28
Think that with the 5d would be the ultimate walk around / candid set up

Jon
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 09:47
Correct you are good sir.

You know, i think we need badges for out camera bags about RRTPFirst posted suggestion still awaiting Puddle action (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3103084&postcount=40255) (he's the artist around here).

Jon
9 years older than me? I KNEW you were older than DIRT but I never expected you to admit it! :lol::lol:Careful! There are a few grey-haired types around here with spare lightning bolts, youngster!

Jon
just wait till ya watch it. if one isn't a star wars fan then you might not like it.

and how can you type?He shot his monitor, not his keyboard. Wool touch-types.

Jon
ah ok... yeah I like them too... i just like it cos it's so easy to get on and off... the one on the 50 f/1.8 feels a bit dodge though :) or was that a bayonet one? can't remember... just remember it feeling dodge.Nope - 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 have those buttons to release.

Jon
this is my new one

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=620&f=10473
OMG! I could get a good lens (or a 40D) for less than that! Glad I drink tea!

Jon
I am so curious what the criteria is for getting a nifty title and who is the witty individual that comes up with them?......Just say something in an unguarded moment and someone will be sure to tip off the Title Fairy. A moment's forgetfulness, and a lifetime to remember!

Jon
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 09:58
Is this a yes, no, maybe...needs work?
http://www.pbase.com/woolburr/image/85800554.jpgWonder how it'd look with a boost to the saturation?

Jon
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 09:59
Thats why i wont use vista. I cant afford to switch to a mac at the moment :(
Liked that so much I quoted it over at our poll on plans for moving to Vista (http://drkeyboard.net/drk/index.php?topic=3738.0) over at Dr. Keyboard.

Jon
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 10:01
Been sleepy over the weekend in general, then went to whoel day conferene with work yesterday. Meetings whole day, waaay too much good food, 2 cocktails and three glasses of wine. I slept like a log at 1am. Didn't want to get up this morning and fell asleep in the car on the way back to the office. :p

To my defence my other work colleague did as well. :p
We're glad that neither of you were the driver!

Jon
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 10:04
Think that with the 5d would be the ultimate walk around / candid set up
Well, yeah, if you had the money. But it'd be cheaper (and lighter) to get the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-300 DO IS. Or even less $ and weight with the 24-105 instead of the 24-70. Almost enough savings to pick up a 400D along with the 2 lenses. Now that would be handy. And no big white things for everyone to gawk at.

Jon
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 10:06
And thus concludes my shameless attempt to boost the RRTP post count.

cfpackerfan
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 10:52
Jon is on a rampage! Someone stop him!!! 11 posts in a row?? In RRTP?!? Unheard of. ;) :p

Claire
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 10:53
My 1 Sep bride emailed me yesterday and today I sent her a few sample photos. She just replied with a big thank you for letting her see some samples, and that their friends and family members' photos didn't turn out that good, but mine held a totally different class. :D :D

Now, let's just hope she likes the other photos (waaaaaaaay too many of them).

Jon
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 10:55
Jon is on a rampage! Someone stop him!!! 11 posts in a row?? In RRTP?!? Unheard of. ;) :pSo who's counting?
:{)#

DDA
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 10:56
Jon is on a rampage! Someone stop him!!! 11 posts in a row?? In RRTP?!? Unheard of. ;) :p

I think someone should use the link at the bottom of his sig ;-)

Pete
Found on another forum (in a thread bemoaning guests with dSLRs getting in the way of wedding photogs):-

http://www.bwp-by-rk.co.uk/photoportal/gallery/v/wedding/album_002/album_001/album_003/album/MOTH_0988.jpg.html

Mgdh

I know. An eleven-fer - and by a Mod! Totally upstaging the TPBM Chat!

(A way to go to beat Pete's 37 odd posts yet. Thank goodness he cleaned them up at the time).

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 10:59
I know. An eleven-fer - and by a Mod! Totally upstaging the TPBM Chat!

(A way to go to beat Pete's 37 odd posts yet. Thank goodness he cleaned them up at the time).

I think it was well over 50... I was pretty bored that morning! :D

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:00
I've since found out that using the http://photography-on-the.net/forum/images/buttons/report.gif also increases your post count, so I use that instead of visible spamming.

Mgdh
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:01
You may well be right, Pete. I know it took me a while to scroll through them all while catching up. Had I started earlier, I might have been able to block before you got bored...

Jon
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:05
Allow me to point out that those 11 posts were replies to posts scattered through the better than 500 posts racked up overnight by some real chatterboxes. Had I tried multiquoting, I'd have completely lost track of what I wanted to say . . . And I'm still only 15th on the post list . . .

Jon
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:05
I've since found out that using the http://photography-on-the.net/forum/images/buttons/report.gif also increases your post count, so I use that instead of visible spamming.
Ah! Suspicions confirmed. Now we'll feel even less bad when we ignore your reports!

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:10
Ah! Suspicions confirmed. Now we'll feel even less bad when we ignore your reports!

You mean you feel guilty about ignoring me? Aww.. It's so nice to feel wanted...

Mgdh
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:10
Actually, Pete, unless there was another ocasion, I think it was 30

>LINK< (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2668674&postcount=15909)

And good point Jon. We'll believe you ;)

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:12
Actually, Pete, unless there was another ocasion, I think it was 30

>LINK< (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2668674&postcount=15909)

Ah.. I was close then. 30 to post them, 30 more to delete them again!!

And one post to rule them all...

Mgdh
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:15
... and in the darkness bind them?

I didn't realise you were going fo that sort of power with the deletions!

DDA
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:19

Hey! When I report something, there is always a reason! At least there was now that I know that it increases the post count...

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:21
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=217&cpage=1&perpage=15&cat=27#poststart

Another lens that's calling my name at this time.

This would be the ultimate events lens. I've already proved on a multitude of occasions that I can shoot at f/5.6 and therefore aperture is not critical to my style of shooting. Zoom flexibility however is at an extreme premium. My subjects don't stick around.. heck my job is to catch them off guard.

Plus it would look awesome showing up with that hardware.. the LOOKS I'd get :D

only in my dreams.........(sigh)

DDA
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:30
yes, would be nice...

Permagrin
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 11:46
This (http://www.amazon.com/Bunn-NHBX-B-Contemporary-10-Cup-Coffee/dp/B000FFQ4TG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7878661-2565745?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1190086641&sr=8-1) was my housewarming present-- waiting for me when I got in the door. It was an awesome surprise to get in to town with that monster moving van at 8 am and have a full pot ready in just a couple minutes. ahhhh

I'm thrilled with it.:D I was never a big fan of the foamy stuff but I do love a fast brewer.

The retail on your pretty pretty is more than my truck is worth! :lol::lol:

That's very sweet! Nice housewarming present! And we didn't pay anything near retail for ours. Thanks to Scottlet buying it on a 50% off and then using his sister's 30% discount and then deciding he didn't want it! I'm afraid that it would have been way out of our new "be more thrifty" budget to do that...

ok... here's some vids for those interested...

in MOV format unfortunately.

First one is Sammy doing a pour.... using my dream machine... La Marzocco :|
http://stuff.planetslackers.com/fileshare/forums/sammy.mov

Second one is a couple of baristas doing some basic pours.
http://stuff.planetslackers.com/fileshare/forums/artigiano.mov

I just watched the way Sammy pours, and learnt the rosetta from that. (same principle) and also read through the coffeegeek site :)

Is this our Sam (spam) doing the pouring? Great videos...very cool to watch. I need a few things before I can make an espresso equivalent to that...(believe it or not, I need simple things like a milk pitcher and shot cups...) Plus a nice looking dessert to enhance any photos I might take.

it sounds like you need to learn masking. try this out
http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/AdvancedMasking.mov

WOW that was really interesting. I'm going to see if there's a way I can use it in elements. Cool video.

*holds up his Cult-of-Mac lantern and peers at Wool*

That's why you need a Mac ;)

......or a way to exorcise Vista ;)

LOL! Yoda you are SO funny!! Just a few weeks ago mac's were dirt...less than dirt...

I like this image...

I do too Claire, it really catches AND holds the eye. Nicely done.

OMG! I could get a good lens (or a 40D) for less than that! Glad I drink tea!

see above...if I was going to spend that much it would be on gear...I can only do one spendy hobby at a time...

Careful! There are a few grey-haired types around here with spare lightning bolts, youngster!

oooops, sorry, oh revered one!

LOL!! Nothing like an 11fer to start the day :lol:

Permagrin
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 12:11
oh hey guys, I learned how to use my flash while I was gone. It was a simple matter of the fact that I put it on my camera and it didn't work. Would never flash...and I didn't have the book....so I pushed every button and messed with the dial and eventually figured out my batteries weren't charged enough (I thought they were fully charged but they'd been sitting for two weeks...both sets...but when I re-charged them, suddenly the flash worked fine so that must have been the problem...). In any case, all the hands on mucking about with it made me familiar with the controls and suddenly it's not confusing for me anymore. Flash technique still is but that's another story. Now if Dan will just fix my flash bracket, I'm ready to practice.

timbernet
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 12:30
There is just a wee bit of talent in this bunch...

Yup!

Long day coming Scottlet...think of the PPCH (pocket protector clad hottie from class today) That should make time fly!

She didn't have a pocket protector!

Unbelievable....Chief locks old thread overnight and in less than 24 hours we are up to 689 posts?

I have had to speed read like you wouldn't believe so I missed most of it anyway....

I am so behind - 10 pages to read this morning!

My day:
12:07am can't sleep
12:07:30 groan
12:08 check the computer and see what the fun crowd is doing
12:09 post this
12:09:30 go back to bed
12:10 moan
12:11 toss
12:12 turn
12:13 ache
12:14 whine
....and so on and so on and so on....

Where is "setting up and taking photos of new toy"?

Sounds like our Scottlet learned from the NCH debacle. ;):lol::lol:

heh, baby steps....

I like this image...

As do I.

Good golly... that was so insane!

oh hey guys, I learned how to use my flash while I was gone. It was a simple matter of the fact that I put it on my camera and it didn't work. Would never flash...and I didn't have the book....so I pushed every button and messed with the dial and eventually figured out my batteries weren't charged enough (I thought they were fully charged but they'd been sitting for two weeks...both sets...but when I re-charged them, suddenly the flash worked fine so that must have been the problem...). In any case, all the hands on mucking about with it made me familiar with the controls and suddenly it's not confusing for me anymore. Flash technique still is but that's another story. Now if Dan will just fix my flash bracket, I'm ready to practice.

Sweet!!! Now where are the photos of the coffee machine?

Permagrin
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 12:45
Sweet!!! Now where are the photos of the coffee machine?

I'm waiting for a couple of accessories to make the photos interesting.

Speaking of photos. I'm in a photo funk again. (the "should I sell my gear, buy an inexpensive camera and realize I'm never going anywhere with this" funk...)

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 13:10
for god sake pete was just about to buy a 1n hs when i see your 50 for sale and now i dont know what to do bah do hate you at times ;)

permie i know how you feel i have that same thought pritty much every time i pick up the camera

Claire
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 13:21
My throat hurts. :( I think I'm getting a bit sick. Bah.

timbernet
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 13:34
I'm waiting for a couple of accessories to make the photos interesting.

Speaking of photos. I'm in a photo funk again. (the "should I sell my gear, buy an inexpensive camera and realize I'm never going anywhere with this" funk...)

I'll give you $1k and my 40D in trade for your 1DMarkIII - your photos will improve :-D

Claire
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 13:40
Donate the camera to me.

DDA
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 13:44
My throat hurts. :( I think I'm getting a bit sick. Bah.

I hope you won't be too sick. I was last week and it's no fun :confused:

Permagrin
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 13:50
I'll give you $1k and my 40D in trade for your 1DMarkIII - your photos will improve :-D

Donate the camera to me.

gee guys...I don't know what I'd do without all this sage advice :lol:

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 13:51
permie do the right thing donate it to students

*AHEM*

DDA
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:14
With all of you who should donate their camera to one or the other, I suggest we should create a pool.

Everyone will put their cameras and lenses in the pool. They will be available to all the tupperwarians who need it. They will just have to come and pick up what they need.

Now, the important part. I will host the camera pool. So send me all the cameras, lenses, flashes and accessories. When you come visit me, you can bhorrow whatever you like for the day!

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:16
With all of you who should donate their camera to one or the other, I suggest we should create a pool.

Everyone will put their cameras and lenses in the pool. They will be available to all the tupperwarians who need it. They will just have to come and pick up what they need.

Now, the important part. I will host the camera pool. So send me all the cameras, lenses, flashes and accessories. When you come visit me, you can bhorrow whatever you like for the day!

Here's some to start you off...

http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/normal/DSC00296.JPG

DDA
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:23
Thanks, but I'll need to receive them physically to start the pool. PM me and we'll arrange shipping ;-)

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:26
shipping is required to be aranged via me to make sure DDA isnt being sent anything that'll waste time DDA is a very busy person

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:32
First posted suggestion still awaiting Puddle action (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3103084&postcount=40255) (he's the artist around here).

ROFL....Jon...we really do like you...but do you have any idea how hard we have tried to get that image out of our heads?:lol::lol::lol:

3Turner
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:32
But before DDA and Zilly receive anything, it has to pass through my hands for quality control so as to not have a tainted pool of non-functional equipment ;)

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:37

A new single sitting post whore record! Congrats!

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:41
Here's some to start you off...

http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/normal/DSC00296.JPG

(((((((drooling, as I type....) I'm a student......;)

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:46
WOW that was really interesting. I'm going to see if there's a way I can use it in elements. Cool video.

Let me know if you figure out how to make that work in Elements...I couldn't seem to find a way.

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:47

Speaking of flash, I have a "clueless about flash" question....I aquired a 430ex...how exactly do I use it on my bracket to fill....I dont even know the terms to ask the question properly...lol would that be just setting the flash compensation lower in camera to get a less powerful "flash"......duh, i feel so silly....does that make any sense? I have an omnibounce too....doesnt that subdue the light as well?

Jon
A new single sitting post whore record! Congrats!Yeah? How many posts did you make here during your session last night? After all, you've got about every 7th post here.

Woolburr
She didn't have a pocket protector!

You just didn't see it...think bra!

DDA
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:48
But before DDA and Zilly receive anything, it has to pass through my hands for quality control so as to not have a tainted pool of non-functional equipment ;)

shipping is required to be aranged via me to make sure DDA isnt being sent anything that'll waste time DDA is a very busy person

stop wasting everyone's time! I have all the time needed to make quality control and everything else. All equipment must come directly to me!

DDA
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:49
Let me know if you figure out how to make that work in Elements...I couldn't seem to find a way.

I'd love to know if it works in elements too!

Jon
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:51
Speaking of flash, I have a "clueless about flash" question....I aquired a 430ex...how exactly do I use it on my bracket to fill....I dont even know the terms to ask the question properly...lol would that be just setting the flash compensation lower in camera to get a less powerful "flash"......duh, i feel so silly....does that make any sense? I have an omnibounce too....doesnt that subdue the light as well?
Set the camera in Av or Tv, not P, and dial in some - FEC (IIRC, the 430 lets you set it on the flash; setting it on the flash will override the on-camera FEC settings). The Omnibounce will cut down the flash' output, but E-TTL will still try to make it illuminate the subject the same as if the bounce wasn't there, so the flash will work harder to get the same result.

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:52
Yeah? How many posts did you make here during your session last night? After all, you've got about every 7th post here.

It's my job mon...Every good host has to make folks welcome and stimulate the conversation!:lol:

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:53
It's my job mon...Every good host has to make folks welcome and stimulate the conversation!:lol:

And I must say I did feel welcome! :)

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:56
Set the camera in Av or Tv, not P, and dial in some - FEC (IIRC, the 430 lets you set it on the flash; setting it on the flash will override the on-camera FEC settings). The Omnibounce will cut down the flash' output, but E-TTL will still try to make it illuminate the subject the same as if the bounce wasn't there, so the flash will work harder to get the same result.

Gotcha, Jon, Thanks a bunch. I didn't think it would be too complicated for even my little mind to grasp....lol

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:56
Here is another version of the TR-1 patch that has been kicked around...

Permagrin
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:57
Here is another version of the TR-1 patch that has been kicked around...

I like that but I wish the space crew could be the background...I still want a patch with the characters on it :)

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:58
And I must say I did feel welcome! :)

That is the whole idea..

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 14:58
I have to go get ready for work....I don't want to go to work.....manual labor is highly over rated....I would rather be taking pictures of creepy crawly bugs that give me the heebie jeebies than go to work. Ugh....

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:01
I like that but I wish the space crew could be the background...I still want a patch with the characters on it :)

That is an interesting idea...but when I talked to any of the folks that do the embroidery for patches...they just rolled their eyes and said.."do you have any idea what that would cost?" and "do you have any idea how big we would have to make the patch to show the detail?"

We could do a single generic character perhaps...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I guess it needs to be explored further.

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:03
Cafepress won't even print the one I just posted because the word Canon is on there.

However...they will be glad to make up shirts with something like my avatar on the chest and a big logo like above (minus Canon) plastered on the back...personalized shirts so to speak.

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:07
I have to go get ready for work....I don't want to go to work.....manual labor is highly over rated....I would rather be taking pictures of creepy crawly bugs that give me the heebie jeebies than go to work. Ugh....

Work is over-rated...but it pays the bills...the door here is always open.

Permagrin
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:09
That is an interesting idea...but when I talked to any of the folks that do the embroidery for patches...they just rolled their eyes and said.."do you have any idea what that would cost?" and "do you have any idea how big we would have to make the patch to show the detail?"

We could do a single generic character perhaps...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I guess it needs to be explored further.

that's interesting. I've never explored the cost...wouldn't want it to be prohibitive.

Cafepress won't even print the one I just posted because the word Canon is on there.

However...they will be glad to make up shirts with something like my avatar on the chest and a big logo like above (minus Canon) plastered on the back...personalized shirts so to speak.

WOW...that's a bummer...because it's a trademark?

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:15
Well, that's the other lens offically up for sale now...

DDA
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:16
Nice idea about the shirts. I don't have any character to put on it though ;-)

Togra4
you know, I really dont mind work....even if its hard work....My momma instilled good work ethics in me, however, I wish my work was getting paid to lug a camera around with me where ever I go and not waiting tables......lol. A girl can dream....and a girl has gotta do what she's gotta do, too......lol. I am hoping this weekend in Dover will help that dream come closer to reality......wouldnt that just be so nice......and it is nice to know I have the conversation here to look forward to when I get home.....:)

DDA
And g'night everyone! The swiss bear is off to bed ;-)

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:19
night night DDA! rest well!

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:21
that's interesting. I've never explored the cost...wouldn't want it to be prohibitive.

WOW...that's a bummer...because it's a trademark?

Even though it isn't in official Canon script...seems like Canon would love the publicity...especially since they are going to go bankrupt from selling all these cameras that don't live up to Noink standards...:lol::lol::lol:

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:21
Well, that's the other lens offically up for sale now...

What are you selling now?

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:22
Nice idea about the shirts. I don't have any character to put on it though ;-)

We could put a nice Hershey bar on the front for you!;)

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:22
What are you selling now?

24-105 IS. Can't see myself using it now I've got the Ron-Brick.

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:24
I don't know if I could part with mine...and I have a brick too...they fit such different needs. Now if they ever come out with a 24-70 IS...I might have to rethink that.

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:26
I can't really justify keeping both. I decided I love the brick.

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:30
so what is this "brick" you are discussing and loving so much?

timbernet
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:34
You just didn't see it...think bra!

I am not going to comment on that :-D

Maybe replace "Canon" with "Tupperville" and the POTN link with "tuppervilleranch.com" :-D

Even though it isn't in official Canon script...seems like Canon would love the publicity...especially since they are going to go bankrupt from selling all these cameras that don't live up to Noink standards...:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah... that crappy Canon hardware...

Jon
The 24-70 f/2.8 L is fondly referred to as "The Brick".

Zilly
pete ive already post how i feel about u selling he 50 ;)

ok guys doing a couple of calendars the big one is sorted will post like to full pdf when its done but how does this strike you as a front cover ?
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1418/1403150667_a2cb174889.jpg

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:36
Strikes good, Dom. The lettering needs to be con colour though, it's lost in the grandstand.

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:36
btw the text dosnt over lap like it does on the one above its only because ive hunk the image size with out adjusting the font it looks like that

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:39
It looks like you need to colorize either the image or the wording...they just blend together.

Togra4
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:39
ahhhh, I see, Jon. Thanks again.....I just got the sigma 27-70 2.8, sure wish I could have gone the canon route but I am hoping the sigma does me well....I've read lots of praise for it....cant wait to put it to work.....

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:42
ahhhh, I see, Jon. Thanks again.....I just got the sigma 27-70 2.8, sure wish I could have gone the canon route but I am hoping the sigma does me well....I've read lots of praise for it....cant wait to put it to work.....

trust me the sigma works great ;)

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:43
It looks like you need to colorize either the image or the wording...they just blend together.

what colour do you think for the text ?

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:45
what colour do you think for the text ?

Red

Woolburr
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:46
I think any bright color will be fine...just something to get it to pop from the background...the black outlined white just looks like part of the picture...doesn't register as words...

Red would certainly work.

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 15:53
ill have a play with red

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:02
That was quick - sale pending for the 24-105.

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:08
ok red what ya think ? (click for bigger image)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1290/1403267389_0e5d3fd97f.jpg (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1290/1403267389_0e5d3fd97f_b.jpg)

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:09
Well, you got the red right. Shame it's just an 'x'

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:10
Well, you got the red right. Shame it's just an 'x'

thats what ya get when u use a pc buy mac ;)

problem now sorted :D

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:11
Nope. Red border isn't think enough. still makes my eyes hurt reading it. I think the lettering itself should be red.

ibdb
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:11
I'd try the same, but I'd get lost trying to remember what I was going to try to quote. I get lost enough multi-quoting.

Found on another forum (in a thread bemoaning guests with dSLRs getting in the way of wedding photogs):-

http://www.bwp-by-rk.co.uk/photoportal/gallery/v/wedding/album_002/album_001/album_003/album/MOTH_0988.jpg.html

:lol::lol:

That's what we're talking about. The selflessness of the Tupperwarians, always out to help those in need. ;)

There's some great information in some of the tutorials in the lighting section (look for the stickies at the top of the forum to narrow things down). There were also some good conversations about the use of fill flash in the 2nd RRTP thread. Yoda (Lightstream) is a big believer in it, and good at explaining it. I'm a big believer and user, but not quite up to explaining it levels, yet.

I really like Jon's advice below as a quick and to the point start, though. I almost always use AV when I'm using fill flash. I'll have to see if I can pull out a picture or two from the weekend to use as examples.

ibdb
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:12
Nope. Red border isn't think enough. still makes my eyes hurt reading it. I think the lettering itself should be red.
Agreed. The red outline isn't quite enough.

wakko
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:22
Is this our Sam (spam) doing the pouring? Great videos...very cool to watch. I need a few things before I can make an espresso equivalent to that...(believe it or not, I need simple things like a milk pitcher and shot cups...) Plus a nice looking dessert to enhance any photos I might take.

Nah it's some canadian barista. :) heh but yes... definitely cool to watch, and drool at their coffee machine :o mmm la marzocco :o

nice shots everyone... moooooorning all... and bleh... coffee, then work :( i mean... w*** :) (it's like a swear word isn't it? :| )

ibdb
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:33
Some flash examples -- one where I goofed up and wasn't paying attention to my settings, and one where I got it right. Full EXIF is imbedded, but the short version is below each shot.

Shot in a big, poorly lit barn. Ceilings were way too high, too busy, too dirty, and too angled to do any sort of bounce, so the flash was aimed straight at the subjects in both shots.

My youngest (20 months old) really wanted to see the cows at the fair, but he wasn't quite brave enough to do it alone. If his biggest brother (8 years old) could do it, though, it must be ok.

The bad:

http://dbberg2.googlepages.com/DBB_070912_7710.jpg
Manual, f/8, 1/125th, ISO 800, 28mm

The good:

http://dbberg2.googlepages.com/DBB_070912_7711.jpg
AV, f/5.6, 1/30th, ISO 800, 28mm

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:39
Lens is sold. That was pretty quick. Like an idiot, I forgot to add paypal charges on top!!

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:41
that was a daft thing to do

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:42
still want your 50mm but the bank says no

woe is me

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:42
that was a daft thing to do

My age. makes me feeble-brained.

Pete
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:43
still want your 50mm but the bank says no

woe is me

What does the bank say it can afford?

timbernet
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:45
I want your 50 - but I can get it cheaper in the states :-D

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:47
What does the bank say it can afford?

officaly nothing till the 8th stupid college life :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:48
I want your 50 - but I can get it cheaper in the states :-D

alright rub it in ;)

timbernet
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:50
alright rub it in ;)

heheh, well, I calculated 150GBP to USD, then when you add shipping - it just isn't cost effective. I would be spending $325-$350 to get it from Pete while it would only cost $260-$275 to get it used from a USA POTN member :-(

Zilly
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:53
heheh, well, I calculated 150GBP to USD, then when you add shipping - it just isn't cost effective. I would be spending $325-$350 to get it from Pete while it would only cost $260-$275 to get it used from a USA POTN member :-(
the whole price thing really is a bit of a piss take at times
:(

timbernet
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 16:57
Hey Pete -- are you also selling a Nikon lens? :-D
Some guy on FM: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/572647
is selling a 24-105 and 50 f/1.4 (and a Nikon lens)

timbernet
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 17:09
Wow... there has been a 300 f/2.8 for sale in the forums a for many days now -- this guy is practically giving it away and it hasn't sold... *snif* I wish I was working still :-(

three
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 17:10
Anyone see the Hasselblad camera thingo on Engadget?

Linky:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/hasselblad-rolls-out-39-megapixel-h3d-ii-dslr/

timbernet
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 17:12
mmmm.... so yummy!

3Turner
18th of September 2007 (Tue), 17:22
stop wasting everyone's time! I have all the time needed to make quality control and everything else. All equipment must come directly to me!
Oh....now you have time huh?:lol::lol: