PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a 300 2.8 IS for a wedding?

stathunter
4th of October 2007 (Thu), 15:30
I am trying to find an excuse to justify one for "wedding" purposes. Come on.....anyone??

tim
4th of October 2007 (Thu), 16:37
Good luck finding a plausible excuse, I can't think of one!

picturecrazy
4th of October 2007 (Thu), 16:54
If you are just looking for an excuse, something to justify a toy purchase, then present this fictional quote of mine:

The Canon EF 300mm F/2.8L IS USM is a my wedding lens of choice. It is allows you to get the shot where other lenses would fail miserably. For example, a North Korean couple hired me to shoot their wedding. Being a South Korean myself, the northern government and military didn't allow me over the border, or the DMZ. So they had their wedding by the border on the north side, while I stayed on the south side. Having 300mm was essential in getting the wedding shots because I was so far away. There is no way my 17-55 or 70-200 would have gotten the job done. It was a make or break situation, and my Canon EF 300mm F/2.8L IS USM got the job done in fine style. I'm so glad I had the Canon EF 300mm F/2.8L IS USM, because in my book, no wedding photographer in unstable countries should be without one. I just wish I had one 25 years ago back when I was in West Germany, so I could also do East German weddings. I lost a lot of business because I didn't have the Canon EF 300mm F/2.8L IS USM.

s8langwo
4th of October 2007 (Thu), 17:35
I saw a posting on another forum that displayed some INCREDIBLE work with the 300mm 2.8 from the back of the church in eastern Michigan. I would love to have the reach and speed of this lens when needed.

No need to imagine a reason. PM me if you would like to have more details.

Kevin

pcunite
4th of October 2007 (Thu), 17:37
If you are just looking for an excuse, something to justify a toy purchase, then present this fictional quote of mine:

I love it! Let me have a try:

"The EF 300 f2.8 lens is the Canon glass top wedding photographers reach for to capture stunning intimate moments between the bride and groom. No other lens gives you the snotty noses, running mascara, and cake stuck on the lips look. Get yours today and shoot like a pro!"

mcmadkat
4th of October 2007 (Thu), 18:51
I believe Cosworth has found a use for it at weddings....

http://www.ditchmond.com/images/misc/cos300.jpg

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=361748&highlight=fisheye&page=2

lime
4th of October 2007 (Thu), 18:53
Yes it has helped with a few Catholic weddings (different churches) and a couple of other venues. Most Catholic churches only allow you at a couple of different areas one towards the back of the church and the other somewhere off to the side of the altar.

I shoot with a partner and usually I'm the one by the back of the church getting the procession/recession, my partner at the other location. During the ceremony I have the 300 on a monopod and a second body, sometimes with the 2x depending on how tight I want the shot.

MDJAK
4th of October 2007 (Thu), 20:08
Not exactly on point, but Denis Reggie uses the 200 f1.8 in churches all the time to great effect.

I would imagine if you are on the side or back of the church, you couldn't ask for a better lens to do the job.

Go buy it.
me

QX56
5th of October 2007 (Fri), 01:24
I even try to used 100-400L ,this one is @ 400

http://vietdetroit.com/photo/100_400/IMG_0120@400.jpg

stathunter
5th of October 2007 (Fri), 10:22
That is enough reason to put one on the NEED one bad list. Lloyd has spent a lot of time reasonsoning for one! Like it.

viet
5th of October 2007 (Fri), 11:19
That is enough reason to put one on the NEED one bad list. Lloyd has spent a lot of time reasonsoning for one! Like it.

I betcha he dreams of it every night. His desire for the lens showed through his post heheh.

picturecrazy
5th of October 2007 (Fri), 11:21
LOL

actually I have no desire for that lens. The 400 DO is something I'd love for birds. The smaller size/weight would be more friendly for me as I'm usually hiking up a mountain when I'm looking at birds.

stathunter
5th of October 2007 (Fri), 12:44
LOL

actually I have no desire for that lens. The 400 DO is something I'd love for birds. The smaller size/weight would be more friendly for me as I'm usually hiking up a mountain when I'm looking at birds.

Put bird food in a little dish outside of your window and you will not have to hike for them.

picturecrazy
5th of October 2007 (Fri), 13:00
I DO have a dish right outside my window! How did you know??? :)

But half the fun of birding is getting out into nature!