PDA

View Full Version : G2 Infrared and Canada images

emfi
23rd of July 2002 (Tue), 08:36
Hi,

felt like putting up some photos from our Canada (Ontario that is) trip, as well as some IR images:

http://www.digitprop.com/photography.html

Hope you enjoy them - nothing too fancy, it's a hobby after all.

Bye,
Markus

G2Jim
23rd of July 2002 (Tue), 18:25
Very good!! You've got a great eye for composition!

Don Ellis
23rd of July 2002 (Tue), 19:57
Lovely work, beautifully composed. My infrared favorites are 7 and 16, but they're all very good.

Are you using a G2? I ask because people are always asking me about IR pictures with the G2.

Thanks for posting.

Don

emfi
24th of July 2002 (Wed), 12:38
Don,

thanks!

Are you using a G2? I ask because people are always asking me about IR pictures with the G2.

Yes, I am using a G2. I have heard that the G1 is better suited for IR, but have never had the opportunity to try it. The G2 excludes much of the IR light, so exposure time is quite long - which can be painful, because it also makes using the LCD so difficult.

Also, I have the impression that focusing is rather hard with an IR filter. Theoretically, the focal length should be different at IR wavelengths than it is for visible light, but I was surprised how far off the 'correct' distance to a focused object is from the real distance. I regularly use the manual focusing option, which is even harder with the reduced light. Luckily, the G2 - as all digital cameras - has a rather wide depth of field, so the actual focus setting isn't so important.

Bye,
Markus

millerhill
31st of July 2002 (Wed), 15:42
I've noticed some weird focusing problems as well with the G1. I can't trust the viewfinder as I usually shoot in manual so I make sure I have the aperature cranked up to f8 and carry a tripod for those wicked slow shutter speeds.

Steve

emfi
6th of August 2002 (Tue), 05:36
I've noticed some weird focusing problems as well with the G1. I can't trust the viewfinder as I usually shoot in manual so I make sure I have the aperature cranked up to f8 and carry a tripod for those wicked slow shutter speeds.

That's at least reassuring, to know that you have the same problems. The aperture is definitely important, but I am really surprised that the focussing problems are so severe with IR.

Don Ellis
6th of August 2002 (Tue), 05:46
millerhill wrote: I've noticed some weird focusing problems as well with the G1. I can't trust the viewfinder as I usually shoot in manual so I make sure I have the aperature cranked up to f8 and carry a tripod for those wicked slow shutter speeds.
Steve... One thought is to stop using manual. Cranking your aperture to f8 is virtually never necessary -- I nearly always use P mode and my apertures are hardly ever over f2.2 and everything is in focus.

Examples on this forum are my Balinese resort (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2951) and my New Territories village (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3725). Other examples at my website.

Don

emfi
7th of December 2002 (Sat), 12:08
Updated the gallery with some photos from London. We had less time in London than in Canada, therefore the collection is much smaller. Hope you enjoy them anyway...

Leighow
7th of December 2002 (Sat), 12:48
Lots of nice shots here. I stuck with color.

I liked the grain field, but would have liked to have seen a set on this subject, as I wonder if there is a better way of allocating foreground and middle ground.

HOWEIE