PDA

View Full Version : Software Question

Jon423
7th of June 2001 (Thu), 15:38
Hi,

I just took delivery of my Canon G1 yesterday. After loading the free software from Adobe, which was Photoshop 5.0 LE, I noticed this freebee will not process pictures in the RAW format. Also I cannot upgrade to Photoshop 6.0 with my version. Not wanting to drop $500+ on Photoshop 6.0 are there any other graphics packages out there that will process RAW photos.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

jon

kennethwoodruff
7th of June 2001 (Thu), 16:27
jon423 wrote:
I just took delivery of my Canon G1 yesterday. After loading the free software from Adobe, which was Photoshop 5.0 LE, I noticed this freebee will not process pictures in the RAW format. Also I cannot upgrade to Photoshop 6.0 with my version. Not wanting to drop $500+ on Photoshop 6.0 are there any other graphics packages out there that will process RAW photos.

i have 6, so i can't confirm that 5.0 LE won't run the raw plugin. that doesn't sound right.

in any case, as an alternative, have you played with imagebrowser much? you can use it to convert to a format that photoshop will handle.

Grant Dixon
7th of June 2001 (Thu), 19:41
I am new to the G1 as well but it seems..... Well mine works if I down load using the USB but not if i try to read the images of of my hard drive .... i am not shure the reason, but give that a try.

picnic
7th of June 2001 (Thu), 20:53
I believe you must configure your TWAIN driver in any graphics app you use. I don't download via USB cable to camera, but use a card reader. If you go into your program, probably go to 'file/import/TWAIN/select source OR configure (or something similar), the TWAIN driver will appear--you should have installed it with all the rest of the Canon software. Under your 'select source' choose the Canon driver. Then--when you open your app, have the camera or your cardreader connected, you will go back to file/import/TWAIN/acquire. The Canon driver should open the Canon RS-232C dialog box (this is where you can edit your RAW files, read the 'properties, i.e., Exif, acquire, delete, etc.). This should work just about the same in any graphics app--including Adobe LE. I know it works in PSP and Photopaint--should in any that have a TWAIN import.

Diane

picnic
7th of June 2001 (Thu), 21:01
The graphics app, as, for instance LE, isn't what 'converts' your RAW file to .tiff--it is the Canon driver. This should open in ANY graphics program, as I said.

As far as another graphics program--I particularly like Paintshop Pro 7.02, but also use Corel PHotopaint 9--could probably recommend Ulead PhotoImpact 6, Micrografx Picture Publisher--these should all have a TWAIN import. Also, of course, Photoshop LE and Elements. All of the above should be under $100 except for Photopaint and possibly Elements. No, unfortunately, you can't upgrade to PS6 from PS LE, but be sure you even need that powerful a graphics app. If you are not a professional working with ad agencies, producing graphics for print, etc.--its unlikely you need PS6. I have been involved in graphics for a number of years with 3D and 2D graphics, and I can manage fine without PS--but certainly won't throw cold water on you if you can afford it.

Diane

DonnyCT
7th of June 2001 (Thu), 21:22
You can upgrade the LE 5, which is obsolete, to "Elements" for around $70 at Adobe. It has a few more features than LE. It is the mini PS6 version as LE was the little PS 5. I like it but have not ried to process a RAW file.

picnic
7th of June 2001 (Thu), 22:26
I have dled the demo of Elements since my post and find it much better than LE--by far. I was able to import RAW via the Canon TWAIN driver with no problems at all--didn't even have to select/configure.

Jon423
8th of June 2001 (Fri), 13:51
I thank everyone for their replies to my query. Will begin to work on these this weekend.

Thanks again.

jon

Mike K
11th of June 2001 (Mon), 14:46
Another post on this fourm contains a description of Photoshop Elements. Its the third post in that thread. I still keep 5.0 le and elements on my computer, as there are a few features on each that are not on the other.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151