PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of multi-coated filters?

Andy Favors
14th of November 2007 (Wed), 07:12
What are the advantages of the multi coated filters? There is quite a large price difference, and was just wondering if it is justified. Thanks.

ben_r_
14th of November 2007 (Wed), 09:21
Id like to hear what others have to say about this as well. I bought B+W MRC filters for all my lenses and love them, so Id be interested to hear why others did too. Anybody?

Double Negative
14th of November 2007 (Wed), 09:42
You *always* want to go with multi-coated filters.

Non-coated and single-coated filters will flare more, and more easily than multi-coated filters - compromising image quality.

Madweasel
14th of November 2007 (Wed), 12:00
Multicoating is the best way to eliminate reflections from the glass surfaces, which is what causes a lot of the flare you see in images on here. Some argue that it's better not to use filters at all for that reason.

unix04
14th of November 2007 (Wed), 12:10
Multicoating is the best way to eliminate reflections from the glass surfaces, which is what causes a lot of the flare you see in images on here. Some argue that it's better not to use filters at all for that reason.

noob question... but... i was curious...
how about CP filters?

Double Negative
14th of November 2007 (Wed), 12:21
noob question... but... i was curious...
how about CP filters?

It goes for ANY filter, really. Though CPLs are usually not left on your lens all the time for "protection" so you can get away with a little bit cheaper of a filter... I'd just as soon buy a good one and be done with it, though.