PDA

View Full Version : Archangel Gabriella! From Park Concert. Please Critique

Radtech1
3rd of September 2004 (Fri), 22:26
This is "Miss Placencia" for 2004. She took up her trumpet and joined a jazz ensemble for the last "Concert In The Park" series in Fullerton. Very accomplished young lady. Unfortunately, she was in the shadows and I did not want to push the ISO any higher. Even though I was at the limits of my handholding ability, I think that these might be OK.

Granted I am not happy about cropping here tiara on the first shot, but that is too late to fix. I wish that there was some sort of "window" on the camera that I could look through to see if I like the framing. OH! That's right, the viewfinder - I'm gonna have to start using that!

On the second I don't like the fact that the guys that are not the subject are brighter than her.

The question is, am I being too picky, or are those fatal flaws?

Please Critique

http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/78486/Canon/Concert02.jpg

10D
70-300 DO IS at 300mm
ISO = 800
1/20th Second (Hand held with the IS on)
f 5.6

http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/78486/Canon/Concert09.jpg

10D
70-300 DO IS at 240mm
ISO = 400
1/20th Second (Hand held with the IS on)
f 5.6

im2postal
4th of September 2004 (Sat), 07:33
We are our own worst critics. That is why so many on the critique corner feel poorly about there shots while others like it.

Your subject looks good to me. It is your background that kills it. Technically I see no problems. You might try using Photoshop to burn out the background.

Robbie :?

Sailor Don
4th of September 2004 (Sat), 08:23
Radtech1,

Good photos. The first one is better. In the second photo, why have the other two trumpet players in the photo if they are out of focus? Why not boost the ISO and stop down for greater DOF? If there is too much pixel noise in the final image, you can always try processing it through one of the many noise reduction programs that are available.

Molydood
4th of September 2004 (Sat), 08:41
Granted I am not happy about cropping here tiara on the first shot, but that is too late to fix. I wish that there was some sort of "window" on the camera that I could look through to see if I like the framing. OH! That's right, the viewfinder - I'm gonna have to start using that!

LOL.

Nice shots. I agree with you comments on the darkness of the girl, but feel it could be corrected with a little time in PS. I really like the shots though.

Pekka has a brass band gallery that is really fantastic, go take a look.