PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that Canon will upgrade the 70-200 2.8 IS anytime soon?

irish1
6th of December 2007 (Thu), 15:56
I've heard they may change the IS system to give it more stops. I want to get the lens, but with my luck they would introduce the new one at the same price and there you go!

Lord_Malone
6th of December 2007 (Thu), 16:02
And if that happens you can always sell it if you want the latest and greatest with the new improved IS. The current version is already a great lens. Plus, it beats waiting around for something that may or may not happen. ;)

andrewhuxman
6th of December 2007 (Thu), 16:06
Dont think it can get much better its a great lens as is .

philthejuggler
6th of December 2007 (Thu), 16:16
I note you have the 70-200 F4 L. I upgraded from this to the 2.8 IS a couple of months ago - wow! What a lens - people have started describing my photos taken with it as almost 3D in appearance thanks to the lovely bokeh & seperation from the background at f2.8 / f3.5. The IS is already the more advanced tripod sensing one that gives you more stops than the 300 F4 L IS (another staggering lens) and it's also much quieter than the older IS. The IS is giving me loads more keepers - maybe I'm just not good at holding lenses steady, but I think it's amazing!

I'd go for it - wonderful lens - think of the photos you could have taken while waiting for the next version which could be years & years off. The only thing I know of coming up in the focal length is the 200mm F2 L IS - that will be a blinding lens, but two or three times the 70-200 I'd bet!!

Phil

tonylong
6th of December 2007 (Thu), 16:21
I've heard they may change the IS system to give it more stops. I want to get the lens, but with my luck they would introduce the new one at the same price and there you go!

I'll just echo what others have said here -- to me the proof is how it acts hand-held, and since I am not nearly as steady as I was in my youth, that is proof indeed!

I've taken hand-held shots with this lens at full telephoto and have gotten 100% views that are very satisfactory, and I'm talking wildlife photography (I'm pretty picky).

So, why wait on getting a great lens?!

SilverHCIC
6th of December 2007 (Thu), 19:40

Indeed. ... This is one of Canon's best lenses, and there is not much to improve on. Try and search this forum for complaints about the 70-200f2.8L IS, and you'll be looking for a LONG time. Bottom line, if you want it, get it now. There is no sense playing the "waiting game".;)

irishman
6th of December 2007 (Thu), 22:59
All of your points are valid---I've been trying to convince myself that I could get by with a less expensive, less heavy alternative but I realize more than likely I would trade up eventually so screw it---I'll get the big gun while the rebate is still going.

sugarzebra
6th of December 2007 (Thu), 23:01
You wont regret it :)

CyberDyneSystems
6th of December 2007 (Thu), 23:27
No.

viperx27
6th of December 2007 (Thu), 23:31
nope, and even if they did it wouldn't be available for a long long time from now

Cathpah
7th of December 2007 (Fri), 08:16

exactly.

Collin85
8th of December 2007 (Sat), 04:40
There's no reason to upgrade it so soon, so I doubt it.

ScottDR
16th of December 2007 (Sun), 10:22
Speaking of time frame's, when was the 70-200 IS 2.8L introduced? Sorry for the newbie question (after 20 years in film) but Is there a timetable somewhere on the web of introduction dates for EF lenses? I know off-hand the 70-200 4L and 4L IS are fairly young but I'm hoping for a refreshed 100-400L. But then again I have found rumors on this site posted about a possible refreshening since 2005!

Chosenbydestiny
17th of December 2007 (Mon), 22:15
nope, and even if they did it wouldn't be available for a long long time from now

Yeah, I think it would have to come out in Japan first.

SunTsu
18th of December 2007 (Tue), 05:58
Speaking of time frame's, when was the 70-200 IS 2.8L introduced? Sorry for the newbie question (after 20 years in film) but Is there a timetable somewhere on the web of introduction dates for EF lenses? I know off-hand the 70-200 4L and 4L IS are fairly young but I'm hoping for a refreshed 100-400L. But then again I have found rumors on this site posted about a possible refreshening since 2005!

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/index.html

Wavy C
18th of December 2007 (Tue), 18:36
Given that the newer IS technology (as fitted to the 70-200mm f4 IS version) is obviously available and is working well - it beats me why Canon keeps on fitting the older IS units to the f2.8 version of the lens.

Surely it would make sense to upgrade the entire range of IS lenses with the newer version as it becomes available?

cyber_m0nkey
18th of December 2007 (Tue), 18:48
Given that the newer IS technology (as fitted to the 70-200mm f4 IS version) is obviously available and is working well - it beats me why Canon keeps on fitting the older IS units to the f2.8 version of the lens.

Surely it would make sense to upgrade the entire range of IS lenses with the newer version as it becomes available?

This has to come down to a marketing decision. If they upgraded the IS, then they would have to give the lens a new nomenclature, like MkII. This would cause the value of the MkI to decrease. If sales of this lens retail are still strong, then there is no imputes to stop it - it's unlikely to get stronger with only better IS. Also, those willing to upgrade for an extra stop of IS I expect would be low (not zero, just low).

BrantG
21st of December 2007 (Fri), 09:45
No.

That certainly sums it up nicely. :p

toneyw
21st of December 2007 (Fri), 11:07
If it ain't broke, why fix it? It's a fantastic lens. You will not regret purchasing the lens.

danielyamseng
11th of January 2008 (Fri), 05:29
i guess yes. but not in near future:)