PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeking general Equipment advice.

Coppatop85
21st of December 2007 (Fri), 17:35
Hey everyone. I wasn't sure where this subject would fit, so I'm putting it here. I'm wondering what I should go for next in terms of equipment. I love shooting everything, but I find I am most enjoying learning night photography, and nature scenes. I was thinking saving for an L lens, possibly the 70-200 f/4, or getting some filters, as I have none. Heres my gear:

Canon Rebel XTi
50mm f1.8 II
18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Kit Lens
28-105mm f3.5-4.5 II
75-300mm f4-5.6 (Don't cringe please, It's a good learner)
Kenko Tubes
Sunpak Tripod

I'm leaning towards some filters, but I know very little about those. However, I would like an L lens with some good range on it. I may also get a 1.6 TC, as I could stick it on almost anything. Anyways, let me know what you think. Thanks.

runninmann
21st of December 2007 (Fri), 17:51
What kinds of filtrs are you leaning toward?

I'd not recommend a 1.4X TC. Your 75-300 probably won't respond very well to it, and you don't need it for any of your other lenses since you have all FL covered up to 300mm.

Coppatop85
21st of December 2007 (Fri), 17:52
Probably polarizing filters, however, those are the only kind I know anything about.

Lester Wareham
22nd of December 2007 (Sat), 07:46
You have quite a good range of coverage there.

I think it depends if you want to improve your focal length coverage or upgrade to higher spec lenses.

If we are talking about coverage you have no ultra-wide, so a EF-S 10-22mm would fill that, ultra wides are very useful for lots of things but obviously how useful it is to depends on what you shoot. Obvious applications are architecture, particularly interiors, exaggerated perspective shots, very sweeping landscapes and shots placing small foreground objects (flowers, rocks etc) in their surroundings.

If you are looking to upgrade lenses, then you need to figure out either what you use the most or what you will get the most benefit from (not necessarily the same thing). Are there any of your lenses not up to the job? The little kit lens is great value for money but there are much better lenses available. Yes the 70-200 f4 is well respected lens, it is a 1.4X teleconverter not a 1.6X. Note that the Canon (and some independent) teleconverters are only compatible with the longer L lenses.

As for filters, I have and sometimes use polarizers, but I don't use graduated ND on digital (I did on film) as I would rather take two exposures and blend in post processing. This allows more control and does not risk image degradation by putting uncoated filters in front of the lens.

Why not have a look at the lens stickies at the start of the lenses forum.