PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you grow your own macro targets?

AccidentalArt
25th of December 2007 (Tue), 21:59
Do any of your grow your own bugs so when you decide to shoot you don't have to go on a safari looking for them? Like a terrarium or something?

Just looking for tips and ideas.

Thanks!

carianoff
25th of December 2007 (Tue), 22:09
Macrojunkie does!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hooked_on_macro/

LordV
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 00:51
Depends on what you mean. I shoot all my macros in my garden and have purposely kept/grown certain plants to attract insects and also make sure there's lots of leaf litter and decaying logs etc around to help the bugs overwinter. I also sometimes attract them by spraying a sugar /honey mixture onto leaves. Lastly I don't use insectacide in the garden.

Brian V.

macro junkie
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 09:51
yer i breed mantids to shoot..it started out as 1 mantid to shoot for macro and pratice on..then i got a few more cause i liked the idear of shooting insects with out being outside in the cold.sinse them i have loads of them and breed em..its good fun....i also breed frute flys.apart fomr that i dont..i nornally shoot lots of insects in summer time using suger and honey to atract the insects..then when winter comes i have mantids..i higherly recommend breeding insects for macro work,its great fun..i saw this one guy on the mantid forum and he breeds ants..lol

macro junkie
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 09:52
Depends on what you mean. I shoot all my macros in my garden and have purposely kept/grown certain plants to attract insects and also make sure there's lots of leaf litter and decaying logs etc around to help the bugs overwinter. I also sometimes attract them by spraying a sugar /honey mixture onto leaves. Lastly I don't use insectacide in the garden.

Brian V.
You springtail junkie you :lol:

Bill Pham
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 09:54
nah MJ he's a insects whisperer. with all them shot with them just sitting on his finger. got them all well train for that :D:D.

Bill

racketman
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 10:20
In your neck of the woods I would think a light shone on a white sheet at night will attract lots of night flying desert bugs.

macro junkie
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 10:31
In your neck of the woods I would think a light shone on a white sheet at night will attract lots of night flying desert bugs.
yep..in hot countrys u are very lucky.we live in uk..lol..cold every day

rrdjserv@earthlink.net
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 12:51
I have used a terrarium a few times, but it creates as many problems as it solves. You have to capture the insect, position it, release it, and the glass really creates some reflection problems. --Rick

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/rrdjserv/terrarium_9162.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/rrdjserv/luna_9164.jpg

Bill Pham
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 12:53
i'm still waiting to see a lunar rick. use to see them all the time. now i got my gear they are not around.

Bill

spidermanrbryce2006
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 14:36
I raise/breed, keep spiders!

AccidentalArt
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 20:32
thanks for all the comments and ideas. I live in Houston TX area so we typically have decent weather, unless its raining of course :)

Robert

macro junkie
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 22:29
nice moth