PDA

View Full Version : Water Drop Studio Beta 3.0

Dalantech
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 15:54
This will be the last one for a while -I need to work on some other aspects (like getting better control of releasing the water). I went with a flat square splash target so I could have more freedom with the camera angle.

Here is the studio:

http://dalantech.smugmug.com/photos/236173910-L.jpg

Here are some of the shots I've taken with it:

http://dalantech.smugmug.com/photos/236172360-L.jpg

http://dalantech.smugmug.com/photos/236173167-L.jpg

http://dalantech.smugmug.com/photos/236174458-L.jpg

alliec
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 16:02
Awesome, im loving these shots Dalentech.

DDA
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 16:13
Very nice. could you describe a little bit the different parts? Or is it in another thread that I missed?

Dalantech
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 16:37
Awesome, im loving these shots Dalentech.

Thanks Alistair!

Dalantech
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 16:38
Very nice. could you describe a little bit the different parts? Or is it in another thread that I missed?

Check out this blog post (http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.com/2007/12/water-drop-studio.html).

DDA
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 16:48
Thanks. Very interesting!

Jay Lowery
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 17:32
beta 3.0 and you haven't ditched the cardboard box? lol just kidding awesome shots, love the reflection in the last one.

macro junkie
26th of December 2007 (Wed), 23:38
1 - what did u use..paint?
2 - how did u drop it?

ps suley u can get shots like that with out the senser?or is it that hard to get the timing right?continuous shooting?soon as u let it go?where do u put the camara?dont it get paint on?

Dalantech
27th of December 2007 (Thu), 00:52
Thanks. Very interesting!

Thanks!

Dalantech
27th of December 2007 (Thu), 00:53
beta 3.0 and you haven't ditched the cardboard box? lol just kidding awesome shots, love the reflection in the last one.

This is Italy -it's like living in a 2.5 world country. If I could get to a Home Depot then I wouldn't be in the beta stage ;)

Dalantech
27th of December 2007 (Thu), 01:04
1 - what did u use..paint?
2 - how did u drop it?

ps suley u can get shots like that with out the senser?or is it that hard to get the timing right?continuous shooting?soon as u let it go?where do u put the camara?dont it get paint on?

1) Neon food coloring and milk -but it looks like paint.

2) With some odd hypodermic without an end on it contraption that came with some medicine for the kids.

Sure, you could do this sort of thing without the sensor and timing circuit. But you'd spend an entire weekend of shooting just to get a few frames. I'm deleting more images of splashes than I'm editing and posting here -I'm only keeping the ones that I think are interesting. So yes, it is that difficult to get the timing down ;)

Without the timing circuit getting a good shot is just luck even if you had the camera set for continuous shooting and a flash that could cycle fast enough to keep up with camera. If you don't believe me then set your kitchen sink to dripping into a bowl and try to get a shot of the impact. You'll eventually get something, but it normally takes several hundred frames before you have anything that looks even remotely interesting.

The end of the lens is about 18" from the impact point (70-200 F4 L IS + 500D). So far I haven't had any problems keeping the lens and camera dry.

macro junkie
27th of December 2007 (Thu), 02:08
there very smart buddie

Dalantech
27th of December 2007 (Thu), 02:13
there very smart buddie

:cool:

P.S. It all looks easy until your the one behind the camera... ;)

racketman
27th of December 2007 (Thu), 03:28
you must get through a lot of paper, worth it though.

Dalantech
27th of December 2007 (Thu), 04:27
you must get through a lot of paper, worth it though.

A lot of paper towels when I'm cleaning up between color changes. The splash target is a piece of thin foam hot glued to a piece of cardboard to make it rigid.

macro junkie
27th of December 2007 (Thu), 05:47
geek :lol:

Dalantech
27th of December 2007 (Thu), 11:18
geek :lol:

ROFLMAO!

OK... and?! :)

Jay Lowery
27th of December 2007 (Thu), 11:33
Sure, you could do this sort of thing without the sensor and timing circuit. But you'd spend an entire weekend of shooting just to get a few frames. I'm deleting more images of splashes than I'm editing and posting here -I'm only keeping the ones that I think are interesting. So yes, it is that difficult to get the timing down

Without the timing circuit getting a good shot is just luck even if you had the camera set for continuous shooting and a flash that could cycle fast enough to keep up with camera. If you don't believe me then set your kitchen sink to dripping into a bowl and try to get a shot of the impact. You'll eventually get something, but it normally takes several hundred frames before you have anything that looks even remotely interesting.

when i do this i dont use a timer, all by eye and hand, and omg is it hard to get shots like that. most of the time you get single drops shotting upwards or the waves going away from the drop center, when i did it i sat there for a few hours and maybe got 3-5 good shots.

but you can do it, just a LOT harder.

Dalantech
27th of December 2007 (Thu), 12:52
when i do this i dont use a timer, all by eye and hand, and omg is it hard to get shots like that. most of the time you get single drops shotting upwards or the waves going away from the drop center, when i did it i sat there for a few hours and maybe got 3-5 good shots.

but you can do it, just a LOT harder.

Very difficult to get the crowns and you'll spend most of your time just trying to get a certain phase of the impact. With a timer I can put a lot of effort into the composition and lighting and still get the shots that I want.