PDA

View Full Version : D30, PS6.01, 16-bit and Filters

John - NJ
13th of June 2001 (Wed), 10:21
I import the D30 raw images into Photoshop 6.01 just as I did the G1 raw files. I found that the D30 images are in 16-bits/channel mode while the G1's are 8-bits.

It seems that PS6 has a lot of limitations when it comes to 16-bit mode. A bunch of features and almost all of the filters, including my aftermarket filters, do not work with 16-bit mode.

Does everyone convert to 8-bit mode to use PS6? Is there a work around? Thanks.

Andrei
13th of June 2001 (Wed), 12:24
Hi, John !

16 bit is a big advantage. All prelimainary color correction like curves, levels and hue could be done in 16 bits mode. It preserves the wide dynamic range. (Albeit you could not use adjustment layers). And then you can switch to 8 bits mode.

But to be honest I have not seen visible differences :)

John - NJ wrote:
I import the D30 raw images into Photoshop 6.01 just as I did the G1 raw files. I found that the D30 images are in 16-bits/channel mode while the G1's are 8-bits.

It seems that PS6 has a lot of limitations when it comes to 16-bit mode. A bunch of features and almost all of the filters, including my aftermarket filters, do not work with 16-bit mode.

Does everyone convert to 8-bit mode to use PS6? Is there a work around? Thanks.

Ebayer97
17th of June 2001 (Sun), 08:56
When I use PS6 to import CRW files through the Canon Twain driver, it has been opening them up as an 8 bit file. It used to open them up as 16 bit files. Is there a toggle or switch that I accidently reset that I'm not seeing?

How do I set my TWAIN up so that it automatically imports the RAW/CRW files as 16 bit?

Thanks