PDA

View Full Version : Business Card (for a HS photographer)

musicmaster
13th of January 2008 (Sun), 14:48
I'm thinking of ordering 250 of these (from one of those websites, you get 250 free and pay only like $6 shipping) as I had two people come up to me yesterday and ask if they could buy a picture of their daughter at the HS basketball game I was shooting. Of course I had to write down my name and stuff on paper, so I'd try to avoid that again.

I'm only a senior in HS, so I don't have office space or anything. Would you recommend getting real business cards, or just make something in MS Powerpoint and print out like 50 cards on regular paper?

Heres the design I came up with
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6148/28765693hv3.jpg

liza
13th of January 2008 (Sun), 15:12
They look very nice. Keeping it simple is important.

LizzieJ
13th of January 2008 (Sun), 15:14
That's a cool design. Maybe you could put one of you favorite photographs on the back with some more info about yourself and your photography.

If you just want to try it out and have something quickly you could print it yourself. Maybe get some cardstock paper. This would work just fine.

However, having a couple hundred printed for you is pretty cheap. It's not a bad way to go.

ChrisRabior
13th of January 2008 (Sun), 16:11
Which site were you going to have print your cards? I was thinking of getting something done, as I've been in the same boat lately. Cards seem to be almost an expectation from most of the people you talk to about work.

musicmaster
13th of January 2008 (Sun), 16:56
Well I decided just to print my own cards using orange construction paper (thicker) and this
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2089/cardcj2.jpg

CanonXtiDude
14th of January 2008 (Mon), 01:12
why didnt you just pay 6$ ?

Bootsie
14th of January 2008 (Mon), 10:17
I like the first design better, the second looks like it was pieced together with clip art. I would get some printed, you will look much more professional.

Chet
14th of January 2008 (Mon), 10:25
You might want to re-think your choice. The first design will carry you much farther and looks professional. Orange construction paper? Screams grade school actually.

RangerRick
14th of January 2008 (Mon), 10:57
A real card is always gonna be better that something on paper. Easier to carry too. I say go for it!!

I list only cell phone and email. (And as a high schooler... you don't really want to give out any more than that to someone you don't know.)

djscrib
16th of January 2008 (Wed), 23:03
Real nice looking card, best I've seen on this forum actually (well in the month or so I've been in here). Nice, simple, to the point.

Do NOT print it yourself. Get kinkos or something to do it on NICE stock. Yes it may cost $20-$25. But who the hell would pay someone who can't invest $20 into a non-craptacular business card.

rs2sensen
16th of January 2008 (Wed), 23:06
I can bet you're ordering the cheapo cards from Vista Print or someone similar? They're ok, although on the freebies I believe they print "Printed by VistaPrint" on the back.

Honestly, real business cards aren't that expensive. I'm spoiled because I have access to a press that I just run a thousand or so whenever I need them, but you could easily find someone to print 500 or so cards for $40-$70 on good stock, with a professional/customized design. If you got one client off it, it'd be worth it.

sevillafox
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 09:38
Real nice looking card, best I've seen on this forum actually (well in the month or so I've been in here). Nice, simple, to the point.

Not to belittle you or the OP but....you're kidding, right? There are some AMAZING cards here.

Check out this thread to see what I mean. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118646

cory1848
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 09:57
I ordered 1000 from vista print, they screwed up my screen which got lost in the background so I got another 1000 credited to my account. I was happy with the results, there is, however, a good color shift with orange. So ask for a proof, even if you have to pay for it.

Like others have said, go with the first design, avoid clip art, looks amateurish. For $6, you will spend that in pens and a notepad to continue to write down your info to people that are interested, and printing your own is a cost killer with the price of ink.

Also, if you want to be taken seriously, lose the gmail email addy on the card. Just buy a domain and forward your email to your gmail account. Just my 2 cents

slappy sam
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 11:49
Use illustrator. Print with a pro service. I'm only a soph in college and thats what I did and I'm definetly pleased with results. Compared to the cost of your gear, getting this done is insignificant and will probably help your business more than upgrading your gear would.

bigjon0107
19th of January 2008 (Sat), 14:40
Agreed, drop the gmail address. It just seems cheep and temporary. Domains are very cheep anyways.

just as a note: vistaprints's free cards have their logo and contact information on the back of them...it looks really really bad. Also, i did actually purchase cards from them and they screwed it up beyond belief. You could not even see part of the logo the colors were so off.

I ended up using gotprint.com and they came out beautiful. High gloss both sides, thicker card stock, great colors. Their prices are also VERY reasonable.

cory1848
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 09:16
I ended up using gotprint.com and they came out beautiful. High gloss both sides, thicker card stock, great colors. Their prices are also VERY reasonable.

Thanks for that tip, never heard of them before, I will have to check them out as well.

b00sted
28th of January 2008 (Mon), 06:57
I used http://stores.ebay.com/4FocusFX-Printing-and-Graphics/

Got 1000 full-color double-sided cards(On the true card stock, not flimsy paper) for $40 shipped. I designed them myself and they came out excellent. I was very happy with the printing.

If you decide to design them yourself, make sure you make the image in 300dpi. If you use anything less the cards will end up with that grainy/home printer look.

brimacx
6th of March 2008 (Thu), 17:51
That first design is from VistaPrint - I saw it a couple of hours ago when looking for my own...

theyangster
6th of March 2008 (Thu), 21:39
same boat as you, I'm a HS senior

what I did was make a design in PS of a 4"x6" card and separated it into 3 2x4 "cards"

each one I put a sample picture of a unique work along with my website

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4504/bizcardv1copysmallhe8.jpg http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4710/bizcard4copysmallay8.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9355/bizcard3copysmalljd1.jpg http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8761/bizcard2copysmallbs7.jpg

printed them at walgreens and then cut them down myself, economical

It wowed people when I shot my school's fundraiser (Taste of the town)

only slight downside they had printed by "walgreens on back"

btw, if you'd like you can check my little budding website (in my sig) we can trade tips :)

crackaonrice
10th of March 2008 (Mon), 00:37
I also highly recommend gotprint.com

And as a side note...your cards WILL pay for themselves. When I was a junior in high school, I decided to begin a business that troubleshooted computers and did IT consultation for small businesses. Besides being extremely professional in speaking and dress etc., at least one other way to let people know that you're serious (and not just some 17 year old kid playing games) is to have concrete proof. Have a nice business card and domain name that is worth noting. Let people know that you're for real.

People will respect you even more by comparison. I can't believe how many times I heard from clients, "Wow, you're my son/daughter's age...why aren't they doing something nearly as productive as you?"

EnronRocks
10th of March 2008 (Mon), 02:05
I also am a Senior in HS, get out at the end of May. 77 DAYS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You, theyangster and I are in the same boat.

Vista Print is good, if you want I can get you a 80% off coupon and send it to you in a PM. I ordered 1,500 cards from them and all 1,500 looked amazing.

figmented
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 07:01
what you think is amazing, is very subpar to what you can get with a few extra dollars.

EnronRocks
13th of March 2008 (Thu), 11:30
what you think is amazing, is very subpar to what you can get with a few extra dollars.

What I think is amazing is what I compare to local card companies. Not to mention that everyone I have handed a card to has complemented me on them, so they must not be TOO subpar. It is a business card, something that you give someone and they loose when they put it in their purse or when they get home and take it out of their pocket. It is sad when someone pays $30-$40 or more for less than 1,000 business cards because I can guarantee you 900 of them will get lost or thrown away. Also on another note, I got 1,500 business cards for less than $30.00 with free shipping, so unless you can find a deal at any of these other sites like that I will stick with my SUBPAR vista print cards which you have not even seen.

crackaonrice
13th of March 2008 (Thu), 11:48
...Yes, I can find a better deal at the site I mentioned. For 30$ you get 2500 cards on 14pt stock with UV coating, printed in color, with your own custom design.

Spazzmodicus
14th of March 2008 (Fri), 01:55
Agreed, drop the gmail address. It just seems cheep and temporary. Domains are very cheep anyways.

just as a note: vistaprints's free cards have their logo and contact information on the back of them...it looks really really bad. Also, i did actually purchase cards from them and they screwed it up beyond belief. You could not even see part of the logo the colors were so off.

This is my story exactly. I would've fired everybody at Vistaprint and sold the empty building if I had any say in the matter. They took my design, screwed up the colors, cut the card crooked, ect.

My cards just arrived today from www.gotprint.net. I was blown away. I kinda' splurged by ordering 500 cards on 14pt stock with a gloss design on both sides and UV coating on both sides, and cut with rounded corners so it goes in and out of wallets real easy. $30 shipped. I'm just plain giddy with the results....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2306354612_0cc4eb67e3.jpg