PDA

View Full Version : Raynox DCR-250 Macro Lens

mchong75
14th of January 2008 (Mon), 11:01
I need some help from fellow Raynox DCR-250 super macro lens converter owners.

I purchased the macro adapter so, I that can get additional magnification on my macro shots when using my Canon 100mm. But, I canít see anything out of the lens on AF or MF.

The converter is a snap-on universal mount for 52mm to 67mm filter diameter lens.

I had the macro lens correctly installed on the adapter and clipped on the Canon 100mm lens correctly so, what am I doing wrong?

racketman
14th of January 2008 (Mon), 13:09
are you getting in close enough- working distance is very short?

mchong75
14th of January 2008 (Mon), 14:18
At first I was about a foot away, and then I tried several different distances. Nothing worked.

LordV
14th of January 2008 (Mon), 14:21
At first I was about a foot away, and then I tried several different distances. Nothing worked.

Put a well lit vertical box on a table and set the canon 100mm at minimum focus with the raynox on and the lens in MF. Slide the camera towards the box on the table until it comes into focus - I'd guess the focus distance from the front of the lens will be around 5cms or less.
Brian V.

mchong75
14th of January 2008 (Mon), 15:36
thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home

sebastianr
15th of January 2008 (Tue), 01:09
I'd guess the focus distance from the front of the lens will be around 5cms or less.
Brian V.
My guess is 10 cm.

mchong75
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 08:45
I took above advices but it still doesn't focus so, I called B&H and the camera guy told me the adapter is only for point and shoot.

If that's the case, I wish they specified that on the item.

Does P&S camera even have a lens diameter of 52 to 67mm filter?

The description on B&H websites also Indicates "the lens includes a snap on UNIVERSAL mount suitable for 52 to 67mm filter sizes".

racketman
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 08:52
that is nonsense of course though I would say the Raynox works better with a long tele compact like the Panasonic FZ series. Some of the larger prosumers have that diameter range and many smaller compacts like my G6 can take the Raynox when the camera's own adaptor is first fitted.

sumball
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 09:04
I am using M3500 (coupled with 6x, 12x, 24x) on my dSLR and macro lens.

The higher magnification ratio, the shorter the working distant. For my 24x, I have got less than 1/2 inch while 12x is 1 inch.

Let me know if you still got problem with it.

mchong75
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 09:16
I am using M3500 (coupled with 6x, 12x, 24x) on my dSLR and macro lens.

The higher magnification ratio, the shorter the working distant. For my 24x, I have got less than 1/2 inch while 12x is 1 inch.

Let me know if you still got problem with it.

So, I should be able to use my 100mm macro lens with 30D?

sumball
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 09:29
No problem at all if the filter size of your 100mm is between 52 to 67mm as mentioned by you.

For first timer, MF and set focus point at 1:1, put the subject in the middle of the lens (so that you can find it easily) about 1 inch, slowly MF away from 1:1 to 1:2, 1:3 until you see your subject, after that move away your subject further to your lens and set back to 1:1.

You should be able to fine tune it and get whats the distant to get your subject focus.

Using a digicam or 40D or 1D3 here is that you can get live view so better to find your subject.

All the best and enjpy playing around with the Raynox lens. It is a powerful lens indeed as compare to 250D or 500D which I find they are too heavy but Raynox is suitable for shorter lens that has smaller filter size!

Cheers!

Regards
Kerwin

Twitch1977
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 09:54
The Raynox DCR250 is a great little lens and served me well for a long time. It will work with essentially any camera/lens.

You're going to need to be patient, the focus distance will be somewhere between 30cm and 5cm. (Say like between a foot and a couple inches for you non-metrics.)

When you look through your viewfinder on the camera you're looking through the lens at it's widest aperture which means the amount of distance where your object is going to be 'in focus' is very shallow.

Here's what I'd do... first off get rid of auto-focus and put it on manual. Put it on aperture priority and crank it down to a small aperture (like f/16ish). Make sure your area is very well lit and hold down the DOF preview button on your camera.

Starting about a foot away from your object very slowly start sliding your lens towards the object (brace your elbows on the table or something to steady it), at some point in there it *will* go into focus. I'd say probably around 7 or 8 inches away. Keep sliding it towards the object until it goes back out of focus.

Now try it without the DOF preview button held down and see if you can get focus again. You'll find the area it is in focus is a lot shallower since you're seeing through the lens at a much larger aperture. When you can focus reliably like this then you're pretty much ready to go shoot.

(Try taking various test shots at different apertures. You may find smaller apertures have too much lens diffraction causing the fine detail your pictures to blur slightly. I generally wouldn't go much smaller than f/12 but that's just me.)

Hope this helps,
Kurt

mchong75
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 11:35
Thanks for the info Sumball & Twitch.

I received the return authorization from B&H but I'm going to give it another try based on ur tips.

vishwas
23rd of December 2009 (Wed), 12:10
Hi,

I'm a bit fuzzy on the cameras that support this macro lens. I wanted to purchase the DCR-250 for my Canon 40D DSLR with a 17-85mm IS USM lens. I want to know if this camera is compatible with the Raynox DCR-250 lens? So far I have come across more users who have point and shoot cameras than those who have DSLRs. Please let me know if this is compatible with the Canon 40D.

Cheers.

Warl0rd
23rd of December 2009 (Wed), 13:30
the DCR-250 compatibility isn't with cameras but with the lens filter size. so if your lens filter size is supported by DCR-250, it will work.

vishwas
23rd of December 2009 (Wed), 13:37
Oh is it? The filter size of my lens is 67mm and 52mm. Would this fit my lenses? But thanks so much for the clarification.

Cheers

Warl0rd
23rd of December 2009 (Wed), 13:47
RAYNOX DCR-250 lens includes a snap-on universal mount suitable for 52mm to 67mm filter sizeso yeah

vishwas
23rd of December 2009 (Wed), 14:04
Have you used this lens before? If yes, how do you like it?

Warl0rd
23rd of December 2009 (Wed), 15:59
the DCR-250 is not a lens, its just a high quality diopter filter that you use in front of your lens.

better then my opinion its to check images for yourself (flickr, etc)

evirgen2008
9th of April 2011 (Sat), 17:28
I actually want to buy mp-e65mm but I found this tool on the web. The price is low as you know. But I wonder something: can i use it on my 70-200 L? Or which one do you choose, Raynox DCR-250 or Mpe65mm?(also think about price:) ) I adore the macro photography and someday I will buy mpe65mm. But, as you can think, I am student and not enough money :( I have some expr. with my Canon 100mm USM Macro and I had to sell, what a shame:( I have tried some many things until today: reversing kit lens (even 70-200l) close-ups etc. I won't sell it if I can buy. But no money :(

What do you think? Any idea?

racketman
9th of April 2011 (Sat), 19:26
yes DCR-250 will work fine on 70-200, example on Flickr from Southern India:

Jumping Spider (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pensive-reflections/4741233075/)

Overread
9th of April 2011 (Sat), 21:19
Wow that is actually far more impressive a magnification than I expected for the DCR 250 on a 70-200mm (though I'll admit I've never tried it with my f2.8). Jumping spiders are tiny so that certainly gives you more than enough to play around with higher magnification photography.

ceriltheblade
10th of April 2011 (Sun), 03:44
as an aside - i also have the set of the 3500 from raynox and they are great (on my 100 macro as well) and i invested in a set of step down rings so as 1.) to have it exactly in the middle of the lens and 2.) i had the little adapter thing fall once or twice - so now it won't happen....

as for checking the diopter - i would say to start on a different lens and get the feel for the lens and then move to the macro 1:1. I can't vouch for your specific glass, but i can say that it does work in general...at least mine does. the 250 is just pretty powerful for what you are looking at....so remember all the arnings of small DOF and very very short working distance....

good luck!

frederdane
24th of June 2011 (Fri), 13:56
I just purchased the Raynox 250 and cannot figure out how to get the unit to fasten on my Canon SX30is. May seem obvious or stupid, but how do you get the spring loaded adapter to lock in place?

ceriltheblade
25th of June 2011 (Sat), 13:11
you need to have something with threads that it can "catch" on to. When I had the s3IS, I used the lensmate adapter, so it provided the threads needed. you will NOT be able to attach it straight to the camera itself.

Phoenixkh
27th of June 2011 (Mon), 01:22
http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/sx10sx1.html

There's the link for the SX30 adapter tubes from lensmate.