PDA

View Full Version : Guesses for Canon lenses announcements at PMA?

Fobulous
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 03:17
Hello, anybody care to guess/hope what lenses will be announced at the end of this month at PMA?

If indeed the rumors are true and the 5D MKII is coming out, I'm hoping they pair that with a new standard zoom as the kit lens. I'm hoping for a f/2.8 IS standard zoom (24-70 or 24-105, doesn't matter). :)

I think that combination would get Canon a lot of attention back from Nikon.

What are your predictions?

ANGUS
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 03:50
I reckon:
5D MkII
450D
24-70 f2.8IS L
100-400L IS with Twist Zoom
Maybe IS in a few primes
Heavily suspect a 180 Macro IS

Dr D
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 03:58
The 200 f2 and 800 f5.6 have already been announced, so on top of that, I'd probably wager either a 400 f5.6 upgrade with IS or a 100-400 upgrade - the zoom is more likely considering there are already two new primes. On the wider end, I imagine there will be a few new EF-S lenses with the new el-cheapo IS that they put in the 18-55 recently.

IcoHolic
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 07:03
24-70 IS would annoy me since I just got the non-IS version. =D

100-400 replacement is probably on the horizon, I do hope they keep the push/pull zoom. I love it. Although I'd probably never replace my current 100-400.

I can see a 17-40 II with better optics, especially at the corners on FF. Maybe even add IS to it. Probably a long shot since the 16-35 II didn't get it.

If they're going to be adding IS to existing lenses, i.e. 24-70 and 400 5.6... I'd like them to be available at the same price point. An end to the $500 premium for IS needs to happen now.

Mike55
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 12:37
I'm guessing:

17-85 IS II
100-400 IS II

Broncobear
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 12:54
This is an olympic year so I'm thinking it will be a big year for telezooms.

Tom W
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 15:20
I'll guess the same thing I guess every show:

17-200 f/4-5.6 IS EF-S lens.

Actually, I think that the 200/2 IS might show up, and someone else mentioned a 17-40 f/4L IS lens. Those might appear.

ak_powder_monkey
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 16:09
400 f5.6 IS
17-200 f 5.6 IS EFS

Einstein333
20th of January 2008 (Sun), 16:33
My guess is that Canon will only announce more detail on the new 200mm f2 and the 800mm f5.6. Nothing else!

Jim G
20th of January 2008 (Sun), 16:38
5dII - hopefully! The sooner they release that the sooner prices will drop which will hopefully coincide with when I can afford one :p

A 400 f/5.6 with IS would just be awesome - I'd be very interested in something like that for the occasional birding and surfing work.

MrChad
20th of January 2008 (Sun), 17:47
My guess is that Canon will only announce more detail on the new 200mm f2 and the 800mm f5.6. Nothing else!

ditto, nothing new. We don't need any more glass we have enough lenses in the Canon lineup to shoot everything.

I take that back, you know what would be nice, introducing a new lens that's affordable. Sorry we don't need another $1000+ L or EFS mother.

What we need are a few top notch $300 mark consumer lenses. You know the types of lenses we could all afford and never had any issues using back in the days of film. Remember glass like the 28-105mm EF USM and 100-300 EF USM? What the heck ever happened to glass like that.

I just got done using my buddies 28-80mm mark V USM kit zoom on another buddies 5D. If you can make photos with that insane combo Canon can sure give us some solid EFS glass for the Rebel and XXD series folks. Why must the average consumer lens run us $600 these days, and every new L seems to push closer and closer to $2000 on average.

It won't happen but it's a nice thought.

Glass may be the limiting factor on a 16MP FF DSLR. But in truth vast majority of folks are using 8-10MP APS-C bodies and simply producing stunning work. How about a lens or two we could all afford without selling a kidney to buy. Every lens in the lineup doesn't need to be an IS & constant aperture L zoom. Despite the suggestion of many in internet land...

felix21685
21st of January 2008 (Mon), 17:16
i agree with MRChad's opinion about pricing. Wish there were more $500 high IQ lenses out for EF-S and EF.

kozmix
22nd of January 2008 (Tue), 07:14
I'm hoping for:
400 5.6 IS
100-400 update
70-200 IS update
50 1.2 update without focus issues -> this is what i want the most

MrChad
22nd of January 2008 (Tue), 15:58
For something like 3-4 years now every 6mo.s everyone says the 100-400L is do for an update. I've given up on hope for an update, not because of time but after using my buddies on his 5D.

What a great lens, my assumption is everyone simply dislikes the push-pull. Forget what you know or think you know about cheesy late 70's push pull zooms. The Canon works very well, you ignore it after a bit. For it's reach this is a light and sharp lens.

Look at the size of the 400mm DO prime, does anyone really think this lens will be smaller as a 100-400mm/f4 constant?

One can only speculate how massive the barrel would be in diameter as a two touch. And both Sigma and Nikon make two touch type 80-400mm. I'll gladly keep the Canon a push-pull if I don't have to suffer the slow AF of the other two.

Killjoy
22nd of January 2008 (Tue), 15:59
You know the types of lenses we could all afford and never had any issues using back in the days of film. Remember glass like the 28-105mm EF USM and 100-300 EF USM? What the heck ever happened to glass like that.

I still have that 28-105 EF USM lens. In fact, that's my current favorite walking around lens on my 20D. :)

MrChad
22nd of January 2008 (Tue), 16:04
I still have that 28-105 EF USM lens. In fact, that's my current favorite walking around lens on my 20D. :)

It's amazing how nice a lens you can afford leaving off IS and the f/4 aperture vs. the 24-105mmL. It's like pocketing almost $800!

I would be the first person in line for a Canon version of the 18-70mm DX Nikkor, and could afford to be at $299 for a nice f/3.5-4.5 zoom.

A zoom like this would be a super kit lens IMO. and many could actually afford to buy a camera and a 70-300mm zoom to go with it.

doublme
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 13:22
I can't believe it!! Exactly 0 new lenses from Canon this time. Woohoo! :rolleyes:
I mean, the 200 and 800 can't be considered as "new" lenses anymore. Or is there even a slight chance that we're going to get sth. more besides the 450D this time (new lenses+3D/5D/7D)?

MrChad
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 14:58
I can't believe it!! Exactly 0 new lenses from Canon this time. Woohoo! :rolleyes:
I mean, the 200 and 800 can't be considered as "new" lenses anymore. Or is there even a slight chance that we're going to get sth. more besides the 450D this time (new lenses+3D/5D/7D)?

We have over 60 of the buggers in the Eos line, what possible lens could you need that is holding back the system at this point.

I think Canon ran out of 70-200L version to make, we have almost every super tele size on earth, 2 or 3 for the 300mm and 400mm range. We have f/2.8 zooms in almost every size. They've stuck IS on almost everything including the kit zooms. We have the fastest, heaviest, largest, most expensive prime line-up on earth. And we have an EFS version of almost every single popular EF lens, just for the croppers.

I don't know what people are shooting, but I own more glass then some professionals (a great many anyhow) I clearly don't need another lens...

And crackers some folks already want new lenses of newer lenses that Canon added to include IS, and we are harping for better IS? You don't need to invent a new lens every 18mo.s

You don't need a new lens until you have owned all 60 as is...LOL :lol: :p

The only people that want new lenses are the folks that never buy them. Case in point, if you own and or use the 100-400L, 24-70L, or 17-40L the last thing you want is another version hitting store shelves making your current version worth that much less - even more so if you just got the darn thing.

So in less then 12mo. we have the 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 200mm IS and 800mm IS - 3 out of 4 aren't even on the shelf in the USA. I'd call that pretty darn new as the 18-55mm IS just landed...and somewhere in there we also just got the 14mm/2.8 II, 16-35mm vII, and 50mm/1.2.

Most lens requests aren't even for new lenses but version 2's - we have a lot of glass...

doublme
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 15:43
Well the lenses I'm/I was looking forward to, are: EF 400 F5.6 L IS USM and/or 100-400/200-400 F4.5-5.6 L IS USM. I don't care about some 100-400 F2.8 L IS USM or whatever lenses, which aren't going to be made for sure.

400 F5.6 is 15 years old! Yes, the current model is great as well, but think how much buyers there would be for an IS version with a closer minimum focus distance.

...The only people that want new lenses are the folks that never buy them...

It's true that I want the newest available model. Hey, I am 15 now and I can't buy new lenses every month. That is why I was hoping for a new telelens (cheaper than the 200 and 800). So I don't think that I'm one of those guys that you talked about above, who only like to talk about gear).

It's just that I was quite sure there would come a new telelens out now and I have several wildlifephotography-plans this spring which I really want to do. I hoped I could get the "new tele-lens" in a few months and there would be no problem. Now I guess, I'll have to get one of the current teles, which I considered. And when the successors ot those lenses (which I have been waiting for so long) come out in a while, it won't be so easy for me to get the new one. I believe the 100-400 successor will be released this autumn - 10 years from the original 100-400. But I need to get a telelens before that.

Yes, I know that I shouldn't whine so much about gear and everything, but I guess I ain't the only one!

MrChad
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 17:08
Well the lenses I'm/I was looking forward to, are: EF 400 F5.6 L IS USM and/or 100-400/200-400 F4.5-5.6 L IS USM. I don't care about some 100-400 F2.8 L IS USM or whatever lenses, which aren't going to be made for sure.

400 F5.6 is 15 years old! Yes, the current model is great as well, but think how much buyers there would be for an IS version with a closer minimum focus distance.

It's true that I want the newest available model. Hey, I am 15 now and I can't buy new lenses every month. That is why I was hoping for a new telelens (cheaper than the 200 and 800). So I don't think that I'm one of those guys that you talked about above, who only like to talk about gear).

It's just that I was quite sure there would come a new telelens out now and I have several wildlifephotography-plans this spring which I really want to do. I hoped I could get the "new tele-lens" in a few months and there would be no problem. Now I guess, I'll have to get one of the current teles, which I considered. And when the successors ot those lenses (which I have been waiting for so long) come out in a while, it won't be so easy for me to get the new one. I believe the 100-400 successor will be released this autumn - 10 years from the original 100-400. But I need to get a telelens before that.

Yes, I know that I shouldn't whine so much about gear and everything, but I guess I ain't the only one!

So given that the 400mm is 15 years old, and the 100-400mmL is 10years old (and with IS) why would you assume, or know, they are going to replace it come fall?

The 35-350mmL was replaced a few years ago, it gained IS lost some reach but gained on the wide end; 28-300L, and was still a push-pull zoom. With the 100-400mm having IS why update any further? Having used this lens first hand on my 30D, and 5D I can say it's a very nice lens.

Canon also doesn't usually release a cheaper better lens, it's usually a more expensive better lens. So before they discontinue any of the awesome glass we might be able to afford today we should concider the above.

I wouldn't rule out the 55-250 IS. It's as much reach as anyone with a 1Ds or 5D and the 100-400L. In a lighter lens and price for the Rebel line. Now that's win-win.

I think if anything Canon introduces new lenses on their own time frame when they want. We have been horrid speculators of lenses in here. And if you will do a search we have been speculating the 100-400L replacement for years. So I wouldn't hold off buying one waiting for a replacement anytime soon.

alan_potter
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 17:38
I'm very disappointed by there being no Canon 18-200mm. Yes, I know that it won't be as good as shorter zooms, and I know that it'll be slow at the long end. I also know that my (now deceased) Pro1 was the most flexible damned camera I ever had and that on holiday (for example), life is too short to spend half of it changing lenses because Canon doesn't want to sell a single superzoom when it can sell two normal ones.

Oh well, I'll be watching the reviews of the new Fuji S1000fs closely...

regards,
/alan

ANGUS
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 19:14
Alan there is a 18-250IS Only just released. The 18-55 IS and 55-250IS so you wont see an 18-200ish from Canon any time soon.

alan_potter
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 08:00
Thanks, Angus - I fear you are right.

regards,
/alan

MrChad
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 10:39
I'm very disappointed by there being no Canon 18-200mm. Yes, I know that it won't be as good as shorter zooms, and I know that it'll be slow at the long end. I also know that my (now deceased) Pro1 was the most flexible damned camera I ever had and that on holiday (for example), life is too short to spend half of it changing lenses because Canon doesn't want to sell a single superzoom when it can sell two normal ones.

Oh well, I'll be watching the reviews of the new Fuji S1000fs closely...

regards,
/alan

You know the hyper-zoom craze really started with Tamron some years ago when they made the 28-200mm f3.8-5.6. This zoom had several versions or improvements over the years eventually leading to the 28-300mm XR. These hyperzooms become so popular in film for the vacation/holiday group that even Canon and Nikon got in on the act. But if you believe the reviews the Tamron and Sigma version were still better at the job.

Fast forward to now. Tamron has the 18-200mm and 18-250mm glass. And Sigma has the 18-200mm and 18-200 OS glass. Heck if you have a 5D Tamron even now makes a 28-300 VC glass.

Nikon got smart and released their super nice 18-200 VR, perfect for the D40/80 body IMO. But it's also an $800 lens, would you pay that for a Canon EFS 18-200? I might not.

In your case, I would really look at one of the third party superzooms. Else I would think long and hard about getting the Nikon 18-200VR, especially since they may have a new entry level/Rebel fighter to announce in a few days.

When I had my Rebel some years back before EFS was a well established line I had the Sigma 18-125mm DC which was a brand new lens at the time. Looking back I really miss my Rebel and Siggy combo. It was my ideal go to vacation lens. The fact that they now have OS on a model is awesome. But for some reason it was cool in the old days to shoot the one and only hyperzooms, I used a Tamron 28-200 verII on film, and I had another good buddy shooting a Tamron 24-135mm on a then new D30. IMO the role of the 3rd party lens co. is to provide just such glass - those niche products not yet offered by the OEMs. And the quality really is nice for the price.

Tom W
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 12:29
I'll guess the same thing I guess every show:

17-200 f/4-5.6 IS EF-S lens.

Actually, I think that the 200/2 IS might show up, and someone else mentioned a 17-40 f/4L IS lens. Those might appear.

Well, looks like I was wrong again! :)

MrChad
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 16:26
Well, looks like I was wrong again! :)

...at least you didn't say 100-400L. :p

alan_potter
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 18:55
Mr Chad,

I think I'm going to try the Siggy 18-200 OS. Some time ago I did have the non-OS version, and I hated it. But I am beginning to wonder if it was just that I had a brand new SLR and didn't know how to drive it properly...

I keep looking back with nostalgia to the film days, when you looked at prints on a 6" x 4" piece of paper, and were hard pressed to tell if it was a decent lens or decent film, or cheap supermarket rubbish. Well, I was, anyway...

Damn that 100% zoom button :)

regards,
/alan

MrChad
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 22:42
Mr Chad,

I think I'm going to try the Siggy 18-200 OS. Some time ago I did have the non-OS version, and I hated it. But I am beginning to wonder if it was just that I had a brand new SLR and didn't know how to drive it properly...

I keep looking back with nostalgia to the film days, when you looked at prints on a 6" x 4" piece of paper, and were hard pressed to tell if it was a decent lens or decent film, or cheap supermarket rubbish. Well, I was, anyway...

Damn that 100% zoom button :)

regards,
/alan

i think you will be pleased:
http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/4603/lens-test-sigma-18-200mm-f35-63-dc-os-af.html

And just in case the review for the Tamron 18-250mm XR Dii
http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/4110/lens-test-tamron-18-250mm-f35-63-di-ii-macro.html

CyberDyneSystems
30th of January 2008 (Wed), 11:07
You can never go wrong if you just guess "a bunch of swell new EF-S lenses" :(