PDA

View Full Version : new P&S suggestion: SD1000, G7, or G9

mdwsta4
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 10:17
i'm getting rid of my 5mp SE k850 camera phone and want to pick up an actual P&S camera for the road. was thinking of the sd1000 since it's extremely small and simple to use. had an sd510 a few years ago and liked it.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD1000-Digital-Optical/dp/B000NK8EWI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200670875&sr=8-1

but then i was thinking of the G9 (or maybe used G7) since it has a longer zoom, full manual controls, larger screen, RAW mode, hotshoe, etc. it's a bit larger, but may be a great alternative since i really can't fit my DSLR with me on the road.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B000V1VG5G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200670617&sr=8-1

with a P&S i don't know if i would really want to mess with RAW and processing files, but i suppose the flexibility would be nice and i could always shoot in JPEG if i felt like it. downsides with the G9 are MP (i have zero need for 12mp which is another reason i'm looking at the G7), size (too hard to fit in pocket), and cost (almost triple that of sd1000).

SD1000 - $170
G9- $460
G7- $300-350

thoughts/suggestions? does amazon appear to have the best prices for both of these cameras?
i haven't had a P&S camera in a number of years and wish i could take my 30d on the road with me, but space does not allow it.

thanks!

CJinAustin
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 11:37
The G7 is probably plenty for you if you can get it new for $300...

Savas K
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 13:11
As a DSLR user, you will quickly come to appreciate the added control of G7/ G9. Especially when you are confronted with challenging scenes. At that juncture, +1 for being able to switch to raw with G9 and get even better results that with G7. (though G7 has the hack available to access raw) - But G9 has some added niceties like larger, nicer LCD, battery juice indicator, more of a hump to grip onto, actual ISO showing up in exif where it's supposed to. Though know that raw in G7/ G9 won't work with DPP. I just bought Adobe Lightroom to handle that and am coming to really like it, and will probably start to use it with my 5D output.

wcl4
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 20:31
I was in the same boat, and decided on the G9. I would prefer image quality to a marginal increase in size. I really like the controls on the G9 like Av and full manual shooting. And the hotshoe allows for bounce flash which is a huge plus for indoor photos.

mdwsta4
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 21:53
kind of what i was thinking too. i knew the A-series could be hacked for RAW, i did not know the G7 could as well. do you have a link on how to do this?
shame that DPP can't process either camera's raw files though as that's what i use with my 30D. that said, i think for the most part i'll be shooting in JPEG except where i'm really photographing (and not snapping pictures). the 6x zoom and hot shoe are also very nice features.
funny, i was set on the sd1000 and then got to thinking i wanted more! reminded me of a few years ago when i got a canon S3 after having over 6 standard P&S cameras. i loved the manual controls, but wanted more. only kept it for 2 months or so before upgrading to a 350D. since then, i haven't looked back. i'm afraid the same thing might happen with the sd1000 if i went that route.

As a DSLR user, you will quickly come to appreciate the added control of G7/ G9. Especially when you are confronted with challenging scenes. At that juncture, +1 for being able to switch to raw with G9 and get even better results that with G7. (though G7 has the hack available to access raw) - But G9 has some added niceties like larger, nicer LCD, battery juice indicator, more of a hump to grip onto, actual ISO showing up in exif where it's supposed to. Though know that raw in G7/ G9 won't work with DPP. I just bought Adobe Lightroom to handle that and am coming to really like it, and will probably start to use it with my 5D output.