PDA

View Full Version : Sanyo Eneloops v.s. Powerex

PhotoDude25
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 22:21
I currently use Powerex 2000s with a Maha MH-C204F charger for my 420EX. I was just wondering if I should try some Sanyos and see if they are as good as the Powerex batteries. Let me hear from some users of each one and let me know what you think of them. Have you switched from one to the other? If so, why? Help me make a decision on the best to use. Thanks

modemanual
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 22:26
I use eneloops on my 580EX II. Works like a charm, only needed to replace them once in 4 games back to back on friday.

ben_r_
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 22:36
I also use Sanyo Eneloops with all my flashes.

Jakpro
28th of January 2008 (Mon), 03:41
The Eneloops will last longer than the Powerex 2000 Mah regular NiMh batteries.

Maha now offers a low self discharge battery rated at 2100 called the Imedion and they actually rate above 2100 Mah.

I was very skeptical on the use of the low self discharge batteries in high drain electronics, but I was pleasantly surprised. Both the Eneloop and Imedion are excellent for flashes.

Bushplane Ken
28th of January 2008 (Mon), 08:39
The Eneloops will last longer than the Powerex 2000 Mah regular NiMh batteries.

Maha now offers a low self discharge battery rated at 2100 called the Imedion and they actually rate above 2100 Mah.

I was very skeptical on the use of the low self discharge batteries in high drain electronics, but I was pleasantly surprised. Both the Eneloop and Imedion are excellent for flashes.

Jakpro, I am not sure if you mean the Eneloops will last longer "in use" or "on the shelf". I have Powerex 2700 mAh batteries, Eneloops and Imedions. The Powerex 2700 mAh batteries are fantastic in my flashes. I generally use them for planned events so I have them charged up and ready to go.

The great advantage for me with the Eneloops and Imedions is that they are on "stand-by" for use at any time either in a flash unit or in our point & shoot (A620). The P&S might sit for days (or weeks) and not get used and then something will come up and it is ready to use.

These are all good batteries. Just make sure you use a high quality charger!

jrsforums
28th of January 2008 (Mon), 09:11
Eneloop introduced technology which totally changed the way I use batteries for my flashes.

Powerex are great batteries. The problem they have, along with all NiMh before Eneloop, is that the charge quickly dissippates. Therefore, before going out I had to ensure they were "topped off". I would often just leave a set on trickle charge (which is not the best practice for long batt life). Topped off they would work great and take many shots. Not topped, I was never sure how long they would last, but it was always short.

With Eneloops, I just don't worry about it. They are great for 5 shots here, 10 more 2 days to 2 weeks later, etc., etc. They always seem charged. I do carry an extra set in my bag, because the do finally drain. However, I am always sure that the backup set, whether it has been in the bag for days, weeks, or months will be fully (or near fully) charged.

You should get a good charger, such as a Maha MH-C401FS http://www.nimhbattery.com/mhc401fs.htm or La Crosse BC-900 http://www.nimhbattery.com/la_crosse_bc-900_battery_charger.php both of which will independently charge each battery (not do it in banks) and have long, slow charge cycles (~12hr) which is best for the batts.

Jakpro
28th of January 2008 (Mon), 09:42
Jakpro, I am not sure if you mean the Eneloops will last longer "in use" or "on the shelf". I have Powerex 2700 mAh batteries, Eneloops and Imedions. The Powerex 2700 mAh batteries are fantastic in my flashes. I generally use them for planned events so I have them charged up and ready to go.

The great advantage for me with the Eneloops and Imedions is that they are on "stand-by" for use at any time either in a flash unit or in our point & shoot (A620). The P&S might sit for days (or weeks) and not get used and then something will come up and it is ready to use.

These are all good batteries. Just make sure you use a high quality charger!

A 2000 Mah Eneloop will outlast a 2000 Mah Powerex is what I was saying. The Eneloop will actually rate over 2000 and the Powerex will test lower.

A 2700 Mah should last longer than a 2000 Mah, but the interesting thing is that the Eneloop recovers more quickly under a load. I don't know if it is the way that it is designed or just my imagination. The Eneloops seem to last longer than my Powerex 2700 Mah in use--not just storage.

I use a Maha C9000 charger, a 401FS, and an Accupower AccuManager 20.

PhotoDude25
29th of January 2008 (Tue), 11:30
Looks like I may have to try some of the Sanyos just to check them out. I've been relatively happy with the Powerexs so far but always looking for something better.

Wilt
29th of January 2008 (Tue), 12:50
It would be interesting to have side by side testing of the Eneloop vs. Imedion, to see which one has higher total useable output (mAH), and how much life (useable flashes) in each after sitting on the shelf for 3 months.

jr_senator
29th of January 2008 (Tue), 12:56
I have Powerex 2700 mAh batteries...The Powerex 2700 mAh batteries are fantastic in my flashes. I generally use them for planned events so I have them charged up and ready to go.

Same here (high capacity NiMH). I keep 10 on a trickle charge and charge ahead for a known shoot need. I understand Eneloops don't last well in service and I would hate to use anything with less capacity than I use now (2700 mAh).

Wilt
29th of January 2008 (Tue), 13:03
It would be interesting to have side by side testing of the Eneloop vs. Imedion, to see which one has higher total useable output (mAH), and how much life (useable flashes) in each after sitting on the shelf for 3 months.

It seems someone did a comparison already...

http://servaas.com.au/blog/

"Test results have demonstrated IMEDION AA batteries outperforming the eneloop AA batteries in capacity measurements and discharge tests. Andres over on the Candle Power Forum has done many tests on the IMEDION batteries. The results of one of the tests, a comparison to the eneloop batteries, is shown below."

snyper77
29th of January 2008 (Tue), 13:25
I can't quote info regarding the eneloops but I recently called thomas distributing (one of the largest dealers of batteries on the net). I told them I needed batteries for my photography flashes. They said the Powerex 2700's were the #1 selling battery for this application. Tried and true. I asked about eneloops. They said it's a fine product, but just hasn't been around long enough to "prove itself quite yet". Well, for me, I wasn't looking for techological marvels.... just something I know will get me through the weddings and not let me down. So, I ordered 16 Powerex 2700's and a Maha 8 bank charger. I spent $110 and they all perform perfectly. If I remember correctly, I can get 400 flash shots per 4 powerex 2700's. That's strong in my eyes.

canonloader
29th of January 2008 (Tue), 13:46
I have 20 2700MaH PowerEx AA's. A dozen for the 550ex and battery pack, which will recyle a fill flash at 3 frames per second until the flash melts, and 6 for my 40D verticle grip and only two spares. I need some more as backup. I don't see any reason to try anything else, as in, if it ain't broke, why fix it. :)

Wilt
29th of January 2008 (Tue), 14:25
The 'right solution' seems to be to have Imedion or Eneloop set ready at all times for shooting, then bring along a Powerex 2700 set along with the Maha MH402W charger to charge in 1.5 hours even if flat.

Familiaphoto
29th of January 2008 (Tue), 21:22
I can't say enough good things about the Eneloops. Always ready to go. Any battery that can retain its charge that long gets my vote.

nutsnbolts
31st of January 2008 (Thu), 01:58
I just bought 8 additional eneloops and a Maha C9000 charger which comes with 4 Maha 2700's.

We'll see how the 4 Maha batteries turn out. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

jr_senator
31st of January 2008 (Thu), 04:53
I just bought 8 additional eneloops and a Maha C9000 charger which comes with 4 Maha 2700's.

Where? links?

nutsnbolts
31st of January 2008 (Thu), 09:59
Where? links?

Right here. The best that I can find.

>> RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW << (http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/-maha-mhc9000-charger-and-batteries-kitbrfree-shipping-on-this-item-for-a-limited-timebrincludes-deluxe-storage-casebrincludes-4-maha-aa-2700-batteriesbr1-four-cell-battery-holder-storage-case-p-540.html?SP_id=57&osCsid=kc9tm307hoi6cg3nqhq90uk871)

I bought an additional 8 eneloops because that's that I trust atm and I like the slow discharge abilities. The 4 additional Maha's comes with this kit so why not.

PhotoDude25
31st of January 2008 (Thu), 14:38
Anyone know of the most economical place on the web to order eneloops? Help me out here, please.

nutsnbolts
31st of January 2008 (Thu), 14:50
The link I sent above seems to be less in price and they usually give you a free battery case (unlike other places) for similar pricing if it is.

Amazon also tend to have great deals from time to time but you need to know when the moon and sun aligns in perfect harmony and the stars are shining at their brightest.

Raymate
1st of February 2008 (Fri), 20:43
Eneloop are great, even better try and get your hands on the Uniross cells, I use both and for this type of cell the Uniross are better.

chalib_alex
2nd of February 2008 (Sat), 22:21
Eneloops never fail me so far.. :mrgreen:

PhotoDude25
3rd of February 2008 (Sun), 17:00
Well, it sounds like eneloops or Imedions are the way to go. Which between the two would you order? Shall I try the Sanyo or stick with Powerex?

canonloader
3rd of February 2008 (Sun), 17:18
Shall I try the Sanyo or stick with Powerex?
Have you had a problem with PowerEx? How many do you have of those? If more than 4 and never had a problem, then why switch? You can't mix and match them, stick with PowerEx and know you got a good battery. That's my advise. ;)

PhotoDude25
3rd of February 2008 (Sun), 21:42
I wanted to try either the Imedions or the Eneloops for the fact that they hold their charge alot longer and don't have to be recharged as often after non use. I like the Powerex batteries just fine, but am tired of having them be less than full after sitting around for awhile.

canonloader
3rd of February 2008 (Sun), 21:56
Ah, good points. Not a problem for my way of shooting though. Nothing sits around unused for long. :)

PhotoDude25
3rd of February 2008 (Sun), 22:03
A fully charged set lasts long enough that by the time they are low and need to be recharged, the spare set is in need of a charge. It would be nice to be able to pop in a set after a week or two that are still pretty fully charged. I thought maybe the Imedions or Eneloops would fill the bill.

PhotoDude25
9th of February 2008 (Sat), 15:15
Well, I went ahead and ordered a four pack of eneloops for my 420EX this afternoon.Although, I've always been a Powerex guy, I thought I'd give the Sanyo's a shot and see how I like them.
Is the Maha charger I'm using a good charger for eneloops?

dbdors
9th of February 2008 (Sat), 15:22
Well, I went ahead and ordered a four pack of eneloops for my 420EX this afternoon.Although, I've always been a Powerex guy, I thought I'd give the Sanyo's a shot and see how I like them. I'll be charging them in a Maha MH-C204F charger. I think a set of Powerex Imedions and a four pack of Powerex 2700's will be next.

I just ordered 4 sets of the PowerEx Imedions (http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/-maha-imedion-aa-2100-mah-ultra-low-discharge-br4-battery-pack-nimhbr1-free-extra-4-cell-battery-case-p-1020.html?SP_id=68&osCsid=kc9tm307hoi6cg3nqhq90uk871). I'll let you know how they perform. They are 2100mAH as opposed to 2000 for the Eneloops.

I also see that Thomas has another brand called EnergyOn. (http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/nexcell-energyon-ultralow-self-discharge-nimh-batteriesbr2000mah-rechargeable-nimhbr4-battery-packbrincludes-one-free-four-cell-battery-holder-p-994.html?SP_id=72&osCsid=kc9tm307hoi6cg3nqhq90uk871) These are 2000. Hadn't heard anything about them. They call themselves Ultra-low discharge.

This Eneloop review (http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html) is a bit old, but an interesting read.

PhotoDude25
9th of February 2008 (Sat), 15:57
dbdors, yes, do that. I'll probably make those and a set of 2700s next.

nutsnbolts
9th of February 2008 (Sat), 18:04
Looking forward on hearing about the Imedions. I am breaking in the powerex 2700 maH as we speak. I still have 8 eneloops to break in which I just received a few days ago.

dafloydman
17th of November 2009 (Tue), 17:25
For some reason imedions don't work (I've got two sets) in my 430ex no problem with my 580's. While the 2700 powerex's are great I've got to put a
vote in for low discharge. So eneloops for me.

powaysteve
17th of November 2009 (Tue), 20:52
I have both 2700maH Powerex and the Eneloops. While the Powerex are great when they are charged and last a long time, they do discharge quickly when not in use. The Eneloops hold their charge so they are always ready to go when you need them.

RPCrowe
17th of November 2009 (Tue), 22:02
I cannot speak for Powerex batteries but, I have switched to Eneloops AA batteries for my flash units and have been awed at the number of flashes and the improved recycle time.

The Eneloops also hold their charge quite a long time.

I bought an Eneloop set of 8 AA batteries, 4 AAA batteries and adapters for D and C cell use along with a charger fairly reasonably at Costco.

TeamSpeed
17th of November 2009 (Tue), 22:11
Thomas Distributing has the best prices for AAs, even compared to ebay sellers.

Then for the C and D shells, this seller has a really good price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SANYO-ENELOOP-4-AA-to-C-and-4-AA-to-D-SPACERS-ADAPTERS_W0QQitemZ220503702017QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33570b7a01

Love the Eneloop, I just picked up 6 more packs, strange how they all disappear in my house. I have thought about instituting a library system, where people have to check out the batteries so I know where they are. :(