PDA

View Full Version : TechRep Checking in...

CoolWalker
20th of October 2004 (Wed), 11:44
Hello ya'll...I'm at work right now so I don 't have much time, but I wanted to say "hey" to everyone. I work at Canon in digital cameras, so if you have problems jot them down and in my spare time I'll try to answer them...otherwise I am one of the techs available at our toll free number.

Happy shooting!
:D

stopbath
20th of October 2004 (Wed), 12:15
Hello ya'll...I'm at work right now so I don 't have much time, but I wanted to say "hey" to everyone. I work at Canon in digital cameras, so if you have problems jot them down and in my spare time I'll try to answer them...otherwise I am one of the techs available at our toll free number.

Happy shooting!
:D
Welcome to the Forums...

Now you've opened the flood gates. Say bye-bye to your once spare time. :) There's plenty a questions going around, just pick a forum and go fishing...

IndyJeff
20th of October 2004 (Wed), 13:03
CoolWalker welcome, and I imagine there will be plenty of questions for you.

Oh, oh I got a question...why are the L lenses white but designated an L by a L?

edit:
Ok so I know it is not a technical question but just thought maybe we could get an answer to that age old question of why the white lens bodies.

Jon
20th of October 2004 (Wed), 13:16
Oh, oh I got a question...why are the L lenses white but designated an L by a L?

'Cuz if it was a "L" you wouldn't be able to see it.

CoolWalker
20th of October 2004 (Wed), 14:59
CoolWalker welcome, and I imagine there will be plenty of questions for you.

edit:
Ok so I know it is not a technical question but just thought maybe we could get an answer to that age old question of why the white lens bodies.

The white lens indicate the "Pro" models...so, you must be a pro now :D

iwatkins
20th of October 2004 (Wed), 15:31
The white lens is actually to reduce heat build up in the lens. Article all about it in the latest EOS Magazine.

Ian

CoolWalker
20th of October 2004 (Wed), 15:47
On one hand yes, but mostly Canon needed to be able to distinguish between reg. and pro rapidly so grandma would know the difference. Less heat, yes, to a point, but mostly to distinguish between the two types. That's "officially" what we are supposed to say. :D

iwatkins
20th of October 2004 (Wed), 16:02
Why are the smaller L series lenses black then ?

CoolWalker
20th of October 2004 (Wed), 16:28
We can find no logic to that...no one ever said why some were black when most were white, however all of them will have the red ring...no red ring, it "ain't" L series. :D

JK
20th of October 2004 (Wed), 18:14
Hi CoolWalker and welcome!

Got a slightly more technical question for you: :D

What causes luminance and chroma noise at high ISO settings in image sensors ?

Uh, and I might as well ask the logical follow-up question to that one:

The clever tech boffins at Canon seem to be getting better and better at reducing high ISO noise - where are we heading with ever increasing ISO's ? Will we be having chats in forums in a few years time, raving on about how good ISO32000 is on the new Canon 1Ds Mark V ? :D

Cheers,

JK

CoolWalker
21st of October 2004 (Thu), 14:51
Some causes can be heat, radiation, uv rays, electrostatic charge...some people believe that if you place your camera in the refer it helps...might feel good on a hot summer day :D

BrandonSi
21st of October 2004 (Thu), 19:43
some people believe that if you place your camera in the refer it helps..

What's all this business about refer now?! :lol:

Belmondo
21st of October 2004 (Thu), 19:49
Refer = reefer = refrigerator (I think)

Not sure that's really good advice, BTW.

defordphoto
21st of October 2004 (Thu), 19:59
Refer = reefer = refrigerator (I think)

Not sure that's really good advice, BTW.

Reefer? :shock: Roll one up! :)

It's spelled Refer, but pronounced Reefer and means (yes) Refrigerator. Also referred (not reeferred) to as an ice box, fridge, etc.

</tongue-in-cheek>

defordphoto
21st of October 2004 (Thu), 20:03
But, seriously folks, I would not, under any conditions, suggest putting your camera in a refrigerator. The quick temperature changes, both going in and coming out, will cause condensation to form in your lenses and most likely inside the camera. As we all know, water/condensation and electronics do not get along too well.

JK
21st of October 2004 (Thu), 22:08
But, seriously folks, I would not, under any conditions, suggest putting your camera in a refrigerator.

...or the microwave! :D

CyberDyneSystems
21st of October 2004 (Thu), 22:29
Oh.. I'd think you'd need to put it in the Microwave after it's been in the refer for a while?

Ikinaa
21st of October 2004 (Thu), 23:55
But, seriously folks, I would not, under any conditions, suggest putting your camera in a refrigerator.

Hmmm it wouldn't heat up much IMO, because microwaves mostly excite water molecules and I hope you don't have too much of them in your cam :wink:

timmyquest
22nd of October 2004 (Fri), 00:12

Hmmm it wouldn't heat up much IMO, because microwaves mostly excite water molecules and I hope you don't have too much of them in your cam :wink:

Indeed. Most people dont realize that though.

They need to visit www.howstuffworks.com a little more oftne :lol:

Ikinaa
22nd of October 2004 (Fri), 00:16

Indeed. Most people dont realize that though.

They need to visit www.howstuffworks.com a little more oftne :lol:

But on the other hand this would work : put your cam in the the refrigerator for some hours, take it out, a lot of water will condensate in and out of the cam, then put it in the microwave. Now it will heat up :twisted:

JK
22nd of October 2004 (Fri), 21:31

Ummm, you've obviously never put anything metallic in a microwave, have you ? :D

Ikinaa
25th of October 2004 (Mon), 00:38

Ummm, you've obviously never put anything metallic in a microwave, have you ? :D

The little sticker inside says don't do it... Anyway... the walls of the microwave oven are metallic to reflect the microwaves again to the target. And they aren't warm when I've finished heating the meal, only a bit, but I guess that's from the heat emitted from the meal...

BearSummer
25th of October 2004 (Mon), 01:41
Hi IndyJeff,

The reason that the Larger L's are white and the smaller ones are black is because the larger ones usually contain at least one fluorite lens. Fluorite lenses do not maintain their optical performance over a wide temperature range and therfore need to avoid getting to hot. Therfore the lens cases were made white so as to reflect more light. The smaller L lenses use Aspherical and UD glass which maintains its performance over a wider temperature range and therfore can be black. Nikon don't use fluorite in their lenses so their lenses dont need to be grey/white. After a while white lenses were seen as the "expensive" ones and other manufacturers started to make them white for the look of it.

Hope that helps

BearSummer

JK
26th of October 2004 (Tue), 22:32
The little sticker inside says don't do it... Anyway... the walls of the microwave oven are metallic to reflect the microwaves again to the target. And they aren't warm when I've finished heating the meal, only a bit, but I guess that's from the heat emitted from the meal...

Hehe... the little sticker is there for a reason! :wink:

Thin metallic objects or metallic layers (such as those you might find, say, on the circuit board of a digital camera) can burn and melt due to the strong electrical currents generated within them by microwaves.

Ballen Photo
26th of October 2004 (Tue), 23:35

I've got your number then. Seriously though, WELCOME to the forum. It'll be GREAT to have someone around with inside info. :D
-Bruce