PDA

View Full Version : First Engagement Shoot - Brian and Christina

Zonieart
2nd of March 2008 (Sun), 18:23
This was my first engagement shoot. The location is Tohono Chul park in Tucson Arizona. The spring flowers are really starting to pop. The sun is very harsh in Arizona this time of year. I wanted to get out at dawn for the shoot, but the park didn't open until 8am.

Jim

Zonieart
2nd of March 2008 (Sun), 18:26
Two More shots...

bellapop
2nd of March 2008 (Sun), 22:16
I don't know the EXIF data (I don't know how to get it either) but the first 3 photos are kinda soft - and seeing the lenses you have, could be in sharper focus. Curious what the shutter speed is for them?

- Brandy

ps I like the pose where they are laying down opposite each other

bellapop
2nd of March 2008 (Sun), 22:18
Also, I like the two toned effect in the first photo but try to keep an eye out for other items (in this photo it is the gate/black lock) distracts from the subject. I'm getting better myself but I am notorious for this kinda thing... :)

Zonieart
2nd of March 2008 (Sun), 23:12
Thanks for the feedback. I just tweaked one of them real quick. I failed to sharpen the images when I converted them from Raw. I also dumped the lock and fireplace screen. I'll fiddle with it a little more tomorrow since it now looks over-processed.

The first pic (below) was taken with the 24-70.

The second pic I took below was with the 70-200. It appears quite sharp and I didn't sharpen pp.

I may have a problem with the 24-70. All of the images taken from yesterday's shoot appear to be soft. I'll need to check for back-focus and front focus. I'll also switch the UV filters to see if the one on the 24-70 might be causing the problem.

Thanks again.

Visual Bride
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 09:59
Good looking couple. To be honest, I feel these look like they were taken with a P&S camera. With your gear list, your pictures could have been a lot better.

They do all look soft. And a shallower DOF would have really helped to isolate the couple and lift the quality of the images.

Your posing is good. The portrait of the groom looks very good. Well done on that one.

Picture 2 is leaning against a dirty old wall with a crack in it.
I hope i wasn't straight.

nursek
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 10:38
I agree, the photos look way too soft and the couple could be more in focus in some of the shots.

#2- when shooting in the shade, be mindful of the light coming through the trees as it hits their faces, you see shadow and spots of light and it's not very attractive. also, the couple could have stood further away from the wall, to have some bokeh and more shallow depth of field.

Zonieart
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 11:37
Good looking couple. To be honest, I feel these look like they were taken with a P&S camera. With your gear list, your pictures could have been a lot better.

They do all look soft. And a shallower DOF would have really helped to isolate the couple and lift the quality of the images.

Your posing is good. The portrait of the groom looks very good. Well done on that one.

Picture 2 is leaning against a dirty old wall with a crack in it.
I hope i wasn't straight.

P&S = Ouch!

I believe I have a focus problem that I'll be working with tonight. All the shots from the brick (24-70) seem very soft. The 70-200 are all crisp.

Actually, the "dirty old wall with a crack in it" is an outdoor adobe fireplace which is very common in the southwest. And everyone wants their picture taken at this particular spot.

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of high DOF pics and when I showed the clients different styles, they weren't either.

Visual Bride
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 12:05
Actually, the "dirty old wall with a crack in it" is an outdoor adobe fireplace which is very common in the southwest. And everyone wants their picture taken at this particular spot.

That makes sense. But anyone looking at the picture won't be able to tell that its a fireplace. Somehow needed to try and convey your above comment in your picture.

Just my 2 cents worth.

nate.the.great
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 12:48
I agree with visual bride.

#1 - the softness cannot be fixed, but some other points may be able to be fixed. the couple is relatively dark, and your eye is drawn to the bright spot in the picture. you could alter the photo so that the couple is the center of attention. i would brighten and saturate them while toning down the background. i think his foot at that ackward angle is a bit distracting as well, and would crop that out.

#2 - maybe if you took a wider shot, we could see the fireplace, and it would make a nice addition to the photo. you can clone out the spots on their faces and bodies in PS. or maybe try the shadow tool?

i hope i'm not being too critical. i've found that critical comments have helped my photography the most. i think the posing is good as well.

Zonieart
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 13:06
Not too critical at all. I appreciate all the comments. I do have several shots that encompass the whole fireplace. Lots of opportunity for PP tonight. I'm really worried about the 24-70 lens though. It will be interesting to switch filters and see if the problem goes away or if I have to send it in for a tweak.

Zonieart
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 13:07
All these bright spots are part of the "fun" of working in the Arizona sun!

bellapop
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 13:38
Not too critical at all. I appreciate all the comments. I do have several shots that encompass the whole fireplace. Lots of opportunity for PP tonight. I'm really worried about the 24-70 lens though. It will be interesting to switch filters and see if the problem goes away or if I have to send it in for a tweak.

the reason I asked about shutter speed is I have the same lens and had the same issue with focusing. After looking at my photos we pretty much concluded that my shutter speeds were too low for hand holding. I'm new to this, so it was something I just learned about. I felt that focusing with my lens was a crap shoot and obviously I was doing something wrong with it - since sometimes I would get a sharp one. They are getting better now (focus wise)

bellapop
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 13:39
All these bright spots are part of the "fun" of working in the Arizona sun!

ha ha yeah I feel for you - I've been told, shoot on overcast days, and I'm thinking - this is Texas! ;-) but lucky for me it was overcast yesterday and today...

flipstyle72
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 13:46
the sun showing through shadows on their faces and such on #2 is quite distracting...

# 3 seems a bit oof.

little soft on them?

I like the pose in #1.

not sure if i reiterated what previous posters already said...if so. sorry!

leninglass
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 14:55
hmm.. I wonder what is wrong with your 24-70 L. I love mine so much! Crisp Crisp Images!

Alexajlex
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 14:59
I'll add that the 24-70L is quite know for having focusing issues.
The QC on at the Canon factory is not up to the standard on this lens.

Zonieart
3rd of March 2008 (Mon), 16:17
This lens was very sharp when I first bought it in 2005. However, after looking through yesterday's shoot, the only clear images I have with it are on Manual focus. All the AF shots are soft. All the 70-200 shots are clear on manual and AF. I've never dropped it, but who knows what might have happened. For example, the ring shot in my first postings was taken with MF.