PDA

View Full Version : Show me your Belt Pack/Vest/Harness System

ANGUS
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 05:23
Just after pics of people belt packs or vests or harness systems with a short description of whats carried where. I currently have a belt but its very empty and am looking at the various options.

Thanks

devil350
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 05:51
Hi, this is what I'm using :
Lowepro Deluxe waistbelt with :
- Lowepro Utility case;
- Lowepro Lense case 1S;
- Lowepro Lense case 1N;
- Lowepro Lense case 1;
- Lowepro Lense case 4 (2x);
- Lowepro Lense case 4S;
- Lowepro Bottle bag;
- Cokin 7 filters wallet for P series.

Laurent.

ANGUS
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 05:54
Thanks, And what do you fit in each one?

devil350
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 05:59
Hi,

- Lowepro Utility case --> My 350D + Grip + Flash 430EX + filter holder P Series + Cleaning solution and a wheater cover for my body + lens.
- Lowepro Lense case 1S --> the 18-55;
- Lowepro Lense case 1N --> the 55-200;
- Lowepro Lense case 1 --> the 100mm Macro;
- Lowepro Lense case 4 (2x) -->the 70-200 2.8 IS or 100-400 both with hood reversed;
- Lowepro Lense case 4S -->the 24-70 2.8;
- Lowepro Bottle bag --> a bottle of 50cl + a banana ;-) or a 75cl water bottle;
- Cokin 7 filters wallet for P series --> some of my P series filters.

ANGUS
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 06:01
Thanks Devil - Would the utility case fit a 40D + Grip?, Anyone else?

devil350
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 06:10
Humm not sure, and don't know the exact size of this body, I've seen it once, and it's seems to be bigger and larger than mine, so I can't help.
But I can tell you that I still have free space above my body (between the buil in flach and the zipper) and if you don't plan to carry a flash unit in the utility case this may fit in it, in larger.
Anyway the utility case is a great product according to me.

Laurent.

devil350
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 06:13
Otherwise, here on the lowepro web site, you'll find the interior size of it:
Lowepro Utility case specifications (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Utility-Case,2071,43.htm)
;-)

Laurent.

ANGUS
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 06:15
would this work?

2x Utility Case - 1 for Spare Body and another for a Speedlight and Battery Pack and PWs
1x 4S - 17-55 f2.8IS
1x 4 - For 70-200 f2.8 IS L
1x 1 - For 100 Macro or a Fast Prime

ANGUS
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 06:17
Otherwise, here on the lowepro web site, you'll find the interior size of it:
Lowepro Utility case specifications (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Utility-Case,2071,43.htm)
;-)

Laurent.

I dont even bother with Lowepros site anymore, Anyone who can draw a cartoon of what they say fits in must be full of crap, Their images and sizes are useless and a fair bit off reality.

devil350
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 06:30
would this work?

2x Utility Case - 1 for Spare Body and another for a Speedlight and Battery Pack and PWs
1x 4S - 17-55 f2.8IS
1x 4 - For 70-200 f2.8 IS L
1x 1 - For 100 Macro or a Fast Prime

Yes it will work.

On my belt I can attached all the cases I mentionned.

Laurent.

ANGUS
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 06:31
Do you use the lowepro belt or just a generic one?

devil350
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 06:32
I dont even bother with Lowepros site anymore, Anyone who can draw a cartoon of what they say fits in must be full of crap, Their images and sizes are useless and a fair bit off reality.

:D

Once I had the problem with the Lens 4S according to Lowepro it will fit exactly my 55-200, but at the end it was really too big I had to purchase a Lense case 1N for this lens and the 24-70 2.8 for the Lens case 4S :oops: lol

Laurent.

devil350
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 06:33
Do you use the lowepro belt or just a generic one?

I use the Lowepro Deluxe waist belt. (has extra slip lock than the normal belt)

tjrenegade
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 07:21
Have you looked at the Think Tank System?

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

I love my speed belt

Rudy M.
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 18:22
On a hot day the Lowepro Street & Field system is nice. I use the shoulder harness with the deluxe waist belt with the Toploader 75AW in the middle of my back. The Toploader 75AW will hold a gripped 40D with a 1.4x Teleconver and 70-200 f/2.8 mounted, hood reversed. In the outer pocket I carry an Epson P-2000 for downloading cards. On one on either side of this two lens pouches that hold 1 liter Nalgeen water bottles perfectly. Then farther around to my sides I have a large lens pouch that will hold the 70-200 f/2.8 with or without the 1.4x tc on it, and then a smaller lens pouch for my 30mm f1/4 and on the other side two lens pouches, one to hold my 18-200 OS and another to hold my Olympus C5050 P&S for a quick shot if the 40D is packed away. I also have a large accessory pouch AW that rides on my left side that I carry a 580EX and external battery pack, along with a few other thing. The harness leaves my back free for a back pack that contains extra clothes, a hydro pack and food. This system works well for me for walking around all day at a pro motocross race. That is what it can carry, it is heavy, but carries very well. I generally only carry what I need, and since I only have one DSLR, I usally only take the 70-200 f/2.8 and the 1.4x teleconverter, and the C5050 for closer in stuff of stationary things and people. Last year I used a Slingshot 300AW it was pretty nice too, but it was not very hot out--low 80's. Above 90--the S&F is the way to go. Oh--there are ways to carry a monopod comfortably with either system.

rustylewis
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 18:40
I use the Think Tank belt system.

Pro Speed Belt, Lens Changer 50, Lens Changer 75, Lightning Fast, Speed Changer, and sometimes an R U Thirsty?

Sorry no pics.

jhom
12th of March 2008 (Wed), 21:17
My most used belt/harness/shoulder system is the Think Tank Change Up with a Chimp Cage and Lens Changer 35. It is extremely versatile and easy to wear. I can substitute or add any of the TT Modulus components to it. There are numerous setups I can configure depending on my shooting needs. Here is a shot of the CU.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5992/cu1za3.jpg

JWright
13th of March 2008 (Thu), 00:41
My most used belt/harness/shoulder system is the Think Tank Change Up with a Chimp Cage and Lens Changer 35. It is extremely versatile and easy to wear. I can substitute or add any of the TT Modulus components to it. There are numerous setups I can configure depending on my shooting needs. Here is a shot of the CU.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5992/cu1za3.jpg

I went from this Lowepro belt setup, weighing about 25 pounds...

http://johnwright.smugmug.com/photos/127537945_USF6o-M.jpg

to the Think Tank Change Up, carrying, in addition to the lens on the camera (usually the Tamron 28-75) the 550EX flash, 100-400, 1.4X, and one other lens, usually the Tamron 14mm. The other pockets on the CU hold things like spare batteries, cleaning cloth and a couple of 750Ml bottles of water (when needed). Without the water, I have cut the load by more than half.

Nice thing about the Change Up is that I can wear it in front where everything is readily accessible, instead of having to reach around my back for something. I can sit down without having to take off the bag.

ANGUS
13th of March 2008 (Thu), 06:43
Have you looked at the Think Tank System?

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

I love my speed belt

Way too pricey but yes ive looked.

tjrenegade
13th of March 2008 (Thu), 07:22
Way too pricey but yes ive looked.

I can respect the cost factor...but don't dismiss it on that alone. This is high quality well thought out stuff that will last a very long time.

Good Luck

MDJAK
13th of March 2008 (Thu), 07:40
I have both the Lowepro belt system and the ThinkTank belt. The Lowepro is a recent acquisition. I bought the 75 Toploader for the 1 series. I was very disappointed in the way it hung, so to speak. It was very top heavy and tilted forward rendering it almost unusable.

So, on the advice of Karl Grobl, a world famous photojournalist (www.karlgrobl.com) [who btw just switched to the thinktank belt system] I had the 75 toploader mounted permanently on the lowepro belt at a much lower height. I had it professionally riveted and it is much, much better.

I've been using the thinktank pouches on the lowepro belt. I originally bought the thinktank skinny belt but it wasn't comfortable.

Karl likes the ThinTank better because he likes to be able to slide the pouches around and get to his pockets more easily.

I just used my ThinkTank belt at a Bat Mitzvah this past Saturday. It enabled me to switch lenses very quickly.

I'll take pictures of the Lowepro set up tonight and post. (if my feeble mind remembers.)
mark

ANGUS
15th of March 2008 (Sat), 21:31
I have just started making mine now. It has:
Lowepro Lens Case 1 - 17-55 f2.8 IS
Lowepro Lens Case 3 - 70-200 f2.8 IS L - Hood Reversed
Lowepro Utility Case - 100 Macro with Hood Reversed - 580EX II - 1.4TC - 400D or CPE4

Soon to add:
Lowepro S-F Light Belt
Lowepro Bottle Holder - For a water bottle
Lowepro Sliplock of some sort - Misc Stuff.

devil350
17th of March 2008 (Mon), 06:25
I have just started making mine now. It has:
Lowepro Lens Case 3 - 70-200 f2.8 IS L - Hood Reversed
Are you sure that the Lens Case 3 will be enought ?
I'm using the Lens Case 4 with the 70-200 f2.8 IS with hood reversed and it fits very well :confused:

ANGUS
17th of March 2008 (Mon), 06:29
No the 3 Works fine for me.

devil350
17th of March 2008 (Mon), 06:32
Ok, great to here that, I was afraid you've choose a too small lens case ;-)

Have a nice day, then and enjoy your gear.

Laurent.

cdifoto
17th of March 2008 (Mon), 06:36
Newswear Chestvest. Kinda dark (FOG took this pic) but it fits 3 x NP-E3 & 2 x BP-511, 56GB CF & SD/SDHC, 70-200IS, 16 x AA, & lots of other stuff I don't remember but usually need. I could even throw an extra dSLR body in a pocket if I wanted to. Nice thing about it is not only do I look more PJ than tourist, but the weight is also distributed between both my shoulders and my hips rather than just being on my hips. Of course this is a working setup. I don't walk around casually with it on or even hike with it (I don't hike at all).

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/cdifoto/gear/Getting-Ready-Gear.jpg