PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for shooting full moon wedding

pristinephoto
16th of March 2008 (Sun), 14:10
I am gong to be shooting a wedding and the couple wants to do it outside with pictures of the full moon in the background. Any suggestions on how I can achieve this and get some great shots? Thanks for the help.

samnz
16th of March 2008 (Sun), 16:04
Welcome to the forums.

Expose for the moon. (Preferably in Manual). Use fillflash with FEC about -2/3 to light your subjects.

Exposure bracket for both camera & flash - +/- EV - :: +/- FEC

If you have off camera shoecord, you can get some real arty farty shots...wireless even better.

Very basic approach I admit but start experimenting tonight by using someone as a prop.

Oh - got a flash? :)

Pete
16th of March 2008 (Sun), 16:47
Shame there's little time to practice.

Make sure you have a back-up plan in case there's cloudy conditions.

rammy
16th of March 2008 (Sun), 17:04
The moon is a bright front lit subject so it will expose even at 1/125. I presume you will use flash or/and off camera lighting so try that shutter speed and adjust as you need.

Pete
16th of March 2008 (Sun), 17:18
The moon is also extremely small unless you're zooming into it.

A reasonable composition of a couple will result in a moon that's just a small white circle in the sky (however well you expose it).

The only way around that would be to shoot the couple normally and then PP a larger moon into the shot. Care should be taken not to let it look too fake.

johnstoy
16th of March 2008 (Sun), 17:56
Here is a moon party photo: EXIF intact...70-200mm f2.8L IS at 1/80th, ISO 1600, no flash, hand held at 70mm.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l60/stoy17/CTB_Roadies72607/IMG_20070726_9999_264.2W.jpg

Here is a link to the party: All pics without flash:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=357058

Party started Mid summer day, at 6PM... Last pic at approx. 9:30PM.

pristinephoto
17th of March 2008 (Mon), 13:18
Thanks for the advice everyone... I have been trying to get out and get some practice shots, but it has been cloudy and snowy. It is supposed to let up starting tonight so hopefully I will get some practice in. The good news is that there will be another photographer there, she hired me on though in hopes that I could get the moon captures!

Thanks again for your suggestions:D