PDA

View Full Version : whites and blacks

mrbass111
18th of March 2008 (Tue), 16:51
ive been shooting birds and have had issues with overexposed whites and some dark blacks. i was told to add minus ap. for whites and plus for blacks. if shooting in the M mode is all i need to do is dial in some minus for the whites? and by doing this i guess i am increasing shutter speed. is this correct or is there a better way of doing this?

Perry Ge
18th of March 2008 (Tue), 18:02
Usually when metering you wanna dial in more exposure for white stuff and less for black stuff. But birds are small.

The answer to your question is that yes, there is a better way. Shoot in M and expose for incident light, not reflected light. Or meter off something neutral in the same light as the birds and leave it at that. White will come out white, black will come out black at a single setting. Set the settings once and roll with it.

pointerDixie214
18th of March 2008 (Tue), 18:03
I was having this same problem. When there is that much dynamic range in the photo, it's pretty hard to get without taking two identical shots, one exposing the darks correctly, and the other exposing the white correctly. Then you merge to two in PP...

Or you could make it an HDR image...

However, I am relatively new to this too...

PhotosGuy
18th of March 2008 (Tue), 20:56
I'd rather shoot RAW exposing for the whites & then process for the blacks. It might mean blending two conversions.
Need an exposure crutch? (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=89123)

If you have to shoot jpg, maybe dial down the contrast.