PDA

View Full Version : Lighting help.. alien bee users!!

MrKickalot
13th of November 2004 (Sat), 20:03
Questions....You all talked me out of the cheap lights so here go's..

1) I have enough money for the "Beginning Bee" package (finally). It is their 800 effective watt strobe. Is this enough with the 48 inch umbrella to start doing portraits(at least of my kids)? Walmart uses one strobe and umbrella and they do OK...

2) Do I need to get a light meter or can I figure it out without one? If yes can you recommend a cheap one to get me started!!

3) Is there any good info that anyone knows of about studio lighting online that I can read up on while I wait for it to ship (If the answer to question 1 is Yes)

4) do I need anything else other than the kit to start shooting (does the cord/adapter for the hot shoe come with it)? Do I need to worry about the trigger voltage of these lights hurting my DRebel?

I am truely ignorant to this subject and will take all the advice I can get!!

Thanks!!!!

FlipsidE
13th of November 2004 (Sat), 20:19
For professional looking photos with a single strobe, I would have to assume that a reflector would be a necessity.

FlipsidE

Headcase650
13th of November 2004 (Sat), 22:35
Here is an awesome link for one light studio setup.

http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/viewtechnique.cfm?recid=195

Just make sure you read it all the way through

Vegas Poboy
13th of November 2004 (Sat), 22:43

1) I have enough money for the "Beginning Bee" package (finally). It is their 800 effective watt strobe. Is this enough with the 48 inch umbrella to start doing portraits(at least of my kids)? Walmart uses one strobe and umbrella and they do OK...

2) Do I need to get a light meter or can I figure it out without one? If yes can you recommend a cheap one to get me started!!

3) Is there any good info that anyone knows of about studio lighting online that I can read up on while I wait for it to ship (If the answer to question 1 is Yes)

4) do I need anything else other than the kit to start shooting (does the cord/adapter for the hot shoe come with it)? Do I need to worry about the trigger voltage of these lights hurting my DRebel?

Thanks!!!!

Answers to your Questions,
1) Yes, but I would invest into a reflector or foamcore board white.
2) I prefer to use a light meter the Sekonic 358 is a great way to get
started
3) I'm sure there is plenty online info but where I do not know. Go to a
bookstore and pickup a good book on lighting. Something that has
the different patterns and diagrams on setups. This will help you
overall in learning lighting. If you don't you could save your $$ and
go to Walmart.
4) I'm not sure about the Drebel but I believe you need a safe sync adapter it cost around $50.00. Take your time and find a book in the bookstore it will save time money & frustration. :)

Good Luck

ilya
13th of November 2004 (Sat), 22:50

Yes, you have more than enough to start doing portraits. In fact, that's a good way to start experimenting and learning. Each light you add multiplies the possibilities and the (relative) complexity

Not totally necessary, but recommended. If you don't get one watch the histogram not the picture. I can do perfectly fine without, but find it more precise and faster using my Sekonic L358 unless its a lighting situation I know by heart.

Go to barnes and noble and buy several books. everyone likes the lighting cookbook, its ok for a canned approach to lightingt, but it takes more than one. Buy something that has "beginner" in the name.

Each bee comes with a sync cord. You don't need to worry about a thing, and there is no danger of voltage with the bees.

Thanks!!!!