PDA

View Full Version : Great photo link, WARNING: A couple hunting photos.

BooneDawg
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 10:47
http://www.ducksdogsanddecoys.com/gallery.htm

I plan on hunting with "PitBoss" in January of 09', can't wait! He post some of his photos on www.greatlakeswaterfowler.com

His pics are some of the best I've seen, check them out.

mrmacca
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:01
not my type of thing hunting

Anke
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:04
He's obviously a great photographer, but posting that in the Bird forum is going to upset a few, seeing as though we are all bird lovers in here. One of those images on the opening page is quite upsetting. Perhaps a warning notice to warn bird lovers might be a responsible thing to do.

Flo
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:08
I have seen far superior photos on this forum hands down.

BooneDawg
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:09
Guys I'm sorry I struck a nerve with the hunting photos. Please understand that I am an avid hunter as well, and being so understand we have a great passion not only for the sport but the birds as well. Please don't take offense to the post, waterfowl hunters are great conservationist as well.

stardrop
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:10
Sorry....totally not my thing. I work on the other side...wildlife rehabilitation.

BooneDawg
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:13
Sorry....totally not my thing. I work on the other side...wildlife rehabilitation.

I understand I spend a lot of my free time as well in promoting waterfowl conservation and educating our youth.

As I am the Secretary of Ohio Waterfowl Association
www.ohiowaterfowl.org

mrmacca
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:13
He's obviously a great photographer, but posting that in the Bird forum is going to upset a few, seeing as though we are all bird lovers in here. One of those images on the opening page is quite upsetting. Perhaps a warning notice to warn bird lovers might be a responsible thing to do.

i totally agrree , well put

Flo
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:15
i totally agrree , well put
He did edit his title;)

canonloader
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:15
Seems to want a login for me. Probably just as well.

Anke
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:17
He did edit his title;)

A nice mod probably did that in passing.

BooneDawg
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 12:06
A nice mod probably did that in passing.

We appreciate you participating in POTN, but please appreciate that you posted into a Bird Forum which is bound to be filled with bird lovers. All we ask for is a warning, and thanks for providing one.

Point taken!

I am a bird lover too (sometime I like to look other times I like them in a marinade)...at this time of year I'm typically at the marsh with the camera, in the fall I'm there with my Benelli Super Black Eagle II.

Different gear for different times, to each his own!

Anke
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 12:09
Point taken!

I am a bird lover too (sometime I like to look other times I like them in a marinade)...at this time of year I'm typically at the marsh with the camera, in the fall I'm there with my Benelli Super Black Eagle II.

Different gear for different times, to each his own!

Thanks Daniel, keep on posting and participating here on POTN. Perhaps you can share some of your own bird images for us to see :D

BooneDawg
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 12:13
Anke, I'm working on it, spent the last two weeks in Disney (Orlando Florida). Took a lot of shots, I'm a newbie to the game so I'm still a little leary on the processing side. Will hopefully get a few done this week.

canonloader
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 12:17
Duck hunting seems to be on the decline around here. I got the chance to taste some a couple years ago, and I see why. The only thing wild that I have tasted that was worse, was pheasant. I honestly don't see the draw here. You have to be awful hungry to eat that stuff. :)

Anke
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 12:19
Anke, I'm working on it, spent the last two weeks in Disney (Orlando Florida). Took a lot of shots, I'm a newbie to the game so I'm still a little leary on the processing side. Will hopefully get a few done this week.

Look forward to them :)

mrmacca
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 13:06
cheers for editing title

BooneDawg
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 13:06
Duck hunting seems to be on the decline around here. I got the chance to taste some a couple years ago, and I see why. The only thing wild that I have tasted that was worse, was pheasant. I honestly don't see the draw here. You have to be awful hungry to eat that stuff. :)

wild game is like anything else, it's how it is harvested, cleaned and prepared.

Have ya ever had a bad steak? I'd rather eat venison, duck and goose than Beef, chicken and or pork--any day!

scrumpy
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 13:28
wild game is like anything else, it's how it is harvested, cleaned and prepared.

Have ya ever had a bad steak? I'd rather eat venison, duck and goose than Beef, chicken and or pork--any day!

....even better when it's shot with just a camera ;)

BooneDawg
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 13:38

....even better when it's shot with just a camera ;)

nah...I prefer 3.5 inch #2 or BB's

canonloader
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 13:48
No, I never have had a bad steak. Green yes, but that's just good aged meat. But I have never had a bad tasting steak before. I worked for an outfitter in Arizona some years ago, and have eaten jack rabbit, cotton tail, javalina, elk, mule deer, white tail, buffalo, beefalo, wild turkey, goose, rattle snake, black bear and cat meat. None of which tasted bad, in the sense that it had a taste so bad I couldn't eat a second bite. But the few times I have tried pheasant and duck, it was so bad I didn't try it again. :)

BooneDawg
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 13:54
I accept the challenge, next time I hunt Wisconsin I'm gonna look you up, if you've tried all those, then something was wrong with the way the Duck or Pheasant was prepared!

Borderdawn
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 15:20
Didnt offend me at all, super photography!! But I do like hunting.

canonloader
3rd of April 2008 (Thu), 10:35
What forum do you suggest I put bird photos?
Nature & Animals (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29) is where it usually goes. I still can't see them cause of a login, but bird killing stuff usually get's a better reception over there.

yeller
3rd of April 2008 (Thu), 15:00
Jeff definitely takes some great photos. I've been viewing his work on some of the "other" forums for awhile now.

We're both probably on a few of the same forums. It's amazing how small the internet world is.

Oh, I prefer 3" #6's in HS. ;)

ngannet
3rd of April 2008 (Thu), 15:34
What forum do you suggest I put bird photos?

Photos of live birds are great, put them here. The other stuff...well, I'm sure there are plenty of hunting forums out there. It's sickening to see pictures of dogs with ducks in their mouths and shots of dead birds IMO. I personally don't understand how someone who can obviously appreciate the beauty of nature would also take pleasure in destroying it?!

dispatchermike21
3rd of April 2008 (Thu), 18:40
never mind.

Skip Souza
3rd of April 2008 (Thu), 22:16
Alrighty boys and girls. Let us stop the argument.
I have altered the title so that there no surprises. If you don't like hunting then don't look, you have been warned.
I have deleted some personal attacks and their quotes. Also remember that politics are out of bounds.
Now try to get along. To continue the argument will be risking a time out.

DDCSD
3rd of April 2008 (Thu), 22:28
OP, have fun on your hunt!

Rubberhead
4th of April 2008 (Fri), 05:19
Random thoughs from The Rubberhead:

I'm a hunter too, but I keep it to myself (at least on this forum).

One of the rules is to not post photos of others. Since it's a link rather than a photo, it's probably OK.

Pittboss is a great photographer. To say there are folks on this site that are consistently better at what Pittboss does is, I think, an emotional reaction.

Nature is way cruel. Ducks don't die a peaceful death surrounded by their loved ones. They usually get eaten by a preditor or have long drawn-out deaths at the hand of starvation sometimes after getting too old to fly or too weak to keep up with their flock.

If POTN had a hunting sub-forum, I'd post to it. POTN doesn't have such a forum so I don't.

I'm a bird hunter and a bird lover. Yes, it's possible. I am way, way more offended by an outside cat than I am by an legal and ethical hunter.

Like I've been told on this very forum when someone purposfully tried to offend my Christian beliefs - "Sometimes art is offensive."

I know a lot of anti-hunting, and non-hunting bird watchers and I know a lot of nature-loving bird hunters. In general, the hunters have a deeper, more mature respect and love of nature than the others.

snowyowl13
4th of April 2008 (Fri), 06:07
I have to disagree with much of what has been said. This is a bird photography forum not a bird forum and as long as your thread title clearly says that they are hunting pictures then I think you should post whatever you like. Close-ups of nestlings worry more than your pictures.
And for the record, I'm not a hunter although I was for many years.

CyberDyneSystems
4th of April 2008 (Fri), 14:22
Remember, title was edited, ;)

Thread moved to "talk about Photography" to discuss others work.
Share forums are for our own images only.

Laramie
4th of April 2008 (Fri), 21:39
Can't wait to see what pics you get next year.

Sabarika
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 14:16
http://www.ducksdogsanddecoys.com/photo_gallery/3.jpg

Is that buckshot? All those dark spots surrounding the bird?

yeller
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 15:51
Buckshot is lead and is illegal to use while hunting any waterfowl. Most likely it is steel shot in size 2 or BB. It could also be other non-toxic "heavier-than-lead" shot such as Hevi-Shot or Wingmaster HD. Both of those are made up of a combination of tungsten, nickel, iron or bismuth.

deadpass
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 02:54
The dog shot is good but I would've liked to see more hunting shots, less birds coming in for a landing.