PDA

View Full Version : Cape May at last! Peregrine, terns (5 pics)

CyberDyneSystems
15th of November 2004 (Mon), 23:29
Finally ran some Cape May images through the PP...

Scottes had posted some real beauties from this trip a while back, but I had to go straight into an insane work schedule and haven't posted a thing for over a month or so.

Anyway.. despite Cape May proving to NOT be the Raptor mecca we had hoped for.. it was a wonderfull trip to a beautifull part of the country (would ya believe new jersey?)

here's some Tern pics,
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=y5gprq&outx=708&oq=0&original=1&noresize=1&no stamp=1
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=y5gprr&outx=750&oq=0&original=1&noresize=1&no stamp=1
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=y5gprt&outx=469&oq=0&original=1&noresize=1&no stamp=1
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=y5gpro&outx=596&oq=0&original=1&noresize=1&no stamp=1

And this.. the reason we went...
A Peregrine Falcon! :)
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=y5gpr6&outx=800&oq=0&original=1&noresize=1&no stamp=1

tommykjensen
15th of November 2004 (Mon), 23:37
Great photos, is a Peregrine Falcon really that rare? I work with Peregrine and Falcon every day :lol: :lol: Ohh gosh my mistake I mean the company Peregrine Systems and a userid named Falcon :lol: :lol:

Scottes
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 07:07
Nice!

And "It's about time!"

I think that we both clicked the shutter simultaneously on that last tern - I do believe that I have the *exact* same pose.

The peregrine came out beautifully.

But peregrines are not the reason "we" went down... I never expected to get a decent shot of a raptor since I know how high they fly, and I don't have the patience to wait for a low-flier. Your patience paid off.

NJDrew
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 08:55
I hope you two got the chance to see the fort, lighthouse and museum/trailer

Love the photos, especially the Peregrine Falcon

Scottes
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 09:03
I hope you two got the chance to see the fort, light house and musium/trailer :D

Love the photos, exspecilly the Peregrine Falcon

Fort?

Museum Trailer?

I did see a light house...only because it was above the horizon I guess, and kept getting in the way of my bird shots.
:)

NJDrew
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 09:13
I hope you two got the chance to see the fort, light house and musium/trailer :D

Love the photos, exspecilly the Peregrine Falcon

Fort?

Museum Trailer?

I did see a light house...only because it was above the horizon I guess, and kept getting in the way of my bird shots.

lol, well that annoying lighthouse :wink: is right next to the Cape May fort bulit during WW2 (Not my photo, but this is it)

http://www.cdsg.org/cdsgrep/capemay1.gif

I thought you guys might have been over that way since there is also a bird observatory platform there too.

RbnDave
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 09:26
CDS,

Your bird photos seem to get better with every post. I like the colors in the first one and the fourth. Looks like you had really nice light for those photos. I also like the composition of #3. How do you move that big 500mm around so quickly?

I've always wanted to check out Cape May. I fly over it several times every month when we go in and out of Philly. It looks like a birders paradise; swamp meets river meets ocean.

Olegis
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 09:36
The 4th one is wonderful - great capture of motion and excellent colors above the bird. Superb !

Scottes
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 10:17
I thought you guys might have been over that way since there is also a bird observatory platform there too.

Oh, yeah, that fort. There were no birds near it. That's all I remember.

We spent a lot of time at the platform since "we" went down for the peregrines. :wink:

LittleMan
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 10:23
Did someone say "Peregrine"?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/littleman7234/peregrine.jpg

MegaTrixel
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 11:21
Wow, I like #'s 1, 4, and 5!

HJMinard
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 11:28
Nice shots, CDS.
Love the falcon shot!

JZaun
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 12:45
All excellent but #1 is my fav...!!

JZ

RichardtheSane
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 15:03
Awesome stuff, I really like the second fom last

This forum has some top nothc birders, consider yourself one of them!

paladin
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 15:09
Y'alls photos constantly amaze and delight. Mine are so hum-drum by comparison ... think I'll go have a bottle of tequila or 2 for consolation ...

CyberDyneSystems
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 17:26
Great photos, is a Peregrine Falcon really that rare?

Tommy,
Thanks :) Fotunately.. the peregrine Falcon is no longer the rarity it once was...

About four or five years ago I got my first peregrine photo with my Old Olympus.. at the time it was the most remarkable acheivement I had ever accomplished with a camera,... despite the fact that the image was crap from too far away. The point was I could see clearly from the image that it WAS a Peregrine.

This was what I wrote at the time... which may help to explain my enthusiasm for this bird.

"several" years ago,.. (I was no more than 4 years old),. in Newport RI. Early 70's several species had been all but wiped out by the DDT spraying. Apperently it destroyed eggshells so that birds could not reproduce.

Right in my own backyard,.. my Father grabs me by the arm and forcibly turns me around,. almost shockingly,. but for the love between us there is no fear.

He holds me with that hand firmly while his other hand points quietly into space,. into a tree that in the memory scaled to a child must have been a thousand feet tall,...

".. you see that?"

I did.

".. Boy", (he allways called me "boy") "Boy,.. take a long look,. because this is the last time you will ever see one of those..." he said,. anger and sorrow in his voice. I had no idea.

It was a Peregrine Falcon.

Indeed I did not see another........... for nearly 30 years.

Taken on Wednesday late afternoon. Too high overhead for the short Lens I have. but there it is. Right in my own backyard :-)

I'll see if I can dig up the photos.. just for comparisons sake.

Long story short,. due to efforts of naturalists and birders the Peregrine has made a dramatic comeback on the East Coast of the US where in my childhood it had become virtually extinct.

They nest in skyscrapers of Manhattan, Boston and Providence,. and thousands of them migrate through Cape May New Jersey every year, where a dedicated team of whackos like those naturalists in the '70s count every last one that flys over head. :)

CyberDyneSystems
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 17:33
Nice!

And "It's about time!"

I think that we both clicked the shutter simultaneously on that last tern - I do believe that I have the *exact* same pose.

The peregrine came out beautifully.

Thanks Scottes!
Yep.. took me a while.. and it may be a while before I get anymore "sorted"

Funny.. when I saw your pic of that tern,. I thought "I remember that?" That Caspian Tern was a bit of an acrobat for sure.

No the Peregrines weren't my only reason for going either.. but it was certainly a nice treat to get one halfway decent photo of one.. especially as Cape May's Logo is a peregrine for christs sake! :lol:

CyberDyneSystems
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 17:41
I hope you two got the chance to see the fort, lighthouse and museum/trailer

Love the photos, especially the Peregrine Falcon

Thanks Drew :)
Didn't get into the trailer.. but saw the fort and even took some nice photos of the Lighthouse.. (well.. O-kay photos)

RbnDave,
Thanks! Moving the big 500mm is a learned skill for sure. I nice mount helps though :)

It seems for all of the photos above except 3 we had similar near sunset lighting. The Gods definately treated us to near perfect weather the whole trip... which was a plus for sure.

Thanks Oleg,. I like the fourth one a lot too :)

Nice Portrait LittleMan! 8)

Glad you like them MegaTrixel :)

Jay, Jerry, Richard,... thanks so much :)

Paladin,.. please poor me a glass too 8) :P

stoneylonesome
16th of November 2004 (Tue), 17:43
Great shots CDS. I have to say #4 and #5 are my favorite. 4 is really something.

CyberDyneSystems
17th of November 2004 (Wed), 18:41
Thanks Sandy :)