PDA

View Full Version : Canon USA Spring Rebates

docarii
15th of April 2008 (Tue), 16:23
I was browsing at:
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/rebates.html
Where it mentions that Canon Europe & Canon Canada have already started their Spring 2008 Rebate offers.

It also mentions that Canon USA might and probably will offer a Spring rebates offer, but it is already mid April, and I haven't found any info.

On the C_Canada program, you could save from $110 to a thousand ($1,000) when buying only 2 items!!! (Even more if you buy more)

Do you think C_USA would still issue a Spring rebate program?

Murphy's Law tells me that, they're waiting for me to buy the 40D and the 70-200mm 2.8 IS so they can finally introduce this offer...

Any comment's (or guesses) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts (if you do) on this!
-Rick

Hank E
15th of April 2008 (Tue), 16:28
If they do offer a rebate, good luck getting it anytime soon. :evil:

docarii
15th of April 2008 (Tue), 16:34
Ha ha ha, but last Fall/Winter they offered the instant one; and even extended it trough February (saved me $50 on the 580II EX).

Molnies
15th of April 2008 (Tue), 16:38
Well they have rebates right now here in Europe at least, until the last of June.
http://canon2008promotions.onlinerebates.com/

No idea why you US guys don't have it though

Hank E
15th of April 2008 (Tue), 16:38
Dang! Sorry I missed out on the instant one. :cry:

Jim Holtz
15th of April 2008 (Tue), 17:38
Well, considering the value of the dollar Vs. other currencies and the rumors about Canon raising prices May 1st, they may have a Summer rebate but after the price increases.

Time will tell.

Jim

docarii
15th of April 2008 (Tue), 18:53
Well, considering the value of the dollar Vs. other currencies and the rumors about Canon raising prices May 1st, they may have a Summer rebate but after the price increases.

Time will tell.

Jim

What rumors do you say?

Do I see a 'green' future... ? :'(

staceyann
15th of April 2008 (Tue), 19:11

Time will tell.

Jim

That's what I heard. That's why I grabbed 70-200 last Friday.

Molnies
15th of April 2008 (Tue), 19:21
Looks like I might have to make an order soon then, the dollar is so low right now that it's basically half the price to order from the states rather than buying it locally here. I guess Canon figured that out themselves and try to keep the price somewhat balanced maybe?

Azzure_7
15th of April 2008 (Tue), 21:38
I can't wait anymore.
Have been wanting my toy since late Feb.. ..

All these waiting only resulted me to some (-) stuff like keep dreaming in class and can't concentrates.
I can't sleep well at night and today, I got a warning from my supervisor for being absent.

So today, I'll decide to change all of that. :)
I'm poorer by now, but I'm a more happy BOY!
:)

docarii
16th of April 2008 (Wed), 15:39
LoL, Azzure ! I'm somewhat like you.

I finally bought it off of B&H photo for $1,700 (The 70-200mm 2.8 IS) , together with the 2x extender ($280), Hoya UV filter (says multi coated, but for $36, I'm not sure how good that should be (it's $25 at Amazon)) and the sensor cleaning Lenspen & Rocket blower. Total with shipping: $2,085. (Any tips on making money with the lens? (Other than taking pictures of a superhero and selling them to the News))

Now I was going to buy it with the 40D (28-135 kit) but, I don't have the money (though Newegg offers no payments for a year, wich I'd go for if 'necessary'). I dont know if I should buy it before the rumored price increase (May 1st), or after rebates appear; \
What do you suggest?

Though now that I have the lens, I can finally sleep and be patient. (I ordered it at 4:30 AM EST this morning and It's already on it's way. YAY! I need it with me for this weekend)

P.S. Any info on how the 2x extender & the 70-200mm would work on a Rebel XT (1.6x crop)? (Would it really give 640mm 'equivalent'?)
I've read a lot (and it makes sense) that the 1.4x has better quality, but, let's use this example: I'm at the beach, taking pictures of some guys surfin. The 1.4 has better Quality but the 2x can get me in closer. If I take a picture with the 1.4 at max zoom, the surfer is somewhere in the center of the image (ok, that's some bad composition, but, let's keep it simple). Now to make him fill the frame, I'd have to crop the edges. Whilst with the 2x, it is a bit (dunno how 'much' bit) less sharp but he fills the entire frame, thus I captured his body with more pixels (with 'lesser' quality).

Wouldn't the 2x give better quality given it can get closer and thus capture more info as opposed to trying to crop the edges of the 1.4x? (For a final image of the same size)
Would it really give 640mm 'equivalent'?

20D_Newbie
16th of April 2008 (Wed), 15:50
I just ordered the 70-200mm F2.8L IS, 300mm F4L IS and 2x II extender. I figured any rebates would be cancelled by the price increase.

monokrome
16th of April 2008 (Wed), 15:52
If they do offer a rebate, good luck getting it anytime soon. :evil:

I haven't a problem getting my rebates from Canon, they were paid about five weeks after mailing them in.

Hank E
16th of April 2008 (Wed), 16:16
I haven't a problem getting my rebates from Canon, they were paid about five weeks after mailing them in.

I wish I was as lucky. :) I bought a 30D and sent in the rebate info. Loved the camera so much I bought two more lenses, also during the rebate period.

During the long process, they mailed me a postcard for both the camera and later for the lenses saying I didn't include everything that was supposed to have been sent to them. I knew that I had because I made copies of everything. I had to call and call and call before I finally received my checks. Same thing for a rebate on a Samsung monitor.

I finally got all my checks, but I just wish it wasn't such a hassle.