PDA

View Full Version : NYC-The village early morning.

bigbaby987
19th of April 2008 (Sat), 13:55
Please tell me what you think.

The first pic is just getting off the Path Train on Christopher St at 7:30am. Once you head east, the sun cuts right over the apartments... Absolutely amazing this time of the year.

The second is a block away headed downtown on Hudson. It's just the bottom railing at the foot of a brownstone.

Please enjoy

Cathpah
19th of April 2008 (Sat), 21:02
the first one has a cool urban feel....kind of reminds me of old emerica skate shoe ads.

second one i feel kind of lost and guessing what i'm looking at.

bigbaby987
19th of April 2008 (Sat), 22:42
great.. thanks.. I personally dig the first myself.. the second was just a shot of the end of some stairs railing on the foot of a brownstone.

JakubPhoto
20th of April 2008 (Sun), 00:11
First one is great, just for the tones alone. It would be very interesting if the people were walking towards you; seeing their faces might have told us a story or two.

i_am_hydrogen
20th of April 2008 (Sun), 00:13
I love the atmosphere of the first shot. Amazing.

oreca
20th of April 2008 (Sun), 09:15
I like the first one. I think it might look better without the flare, should be fixable.

bigbaby987
20th of April 2008 (Sun), 19:41
thanks everyone. i personally love the first one myself. oreca, thanks, but i think i'm going to keep the flare. in fact, that's what i wanted from the shot. it really says photograph with it there. i may toy around with photoshop and see what i can do with it and see if i like it, but thanks for your positive comments..

jakub.. the fact that their backs are toward me tell the whole story, or should i say begin the story.. at this point your imagination starts to build at wondering what the rest of the day has in store... seeing the faces could spoil the whole mood of their expressions were off..

Again, thank you all for your wonderful comments..

Ben

phil1664
20th of April 2008 (Sun), 19:56
Yeah, the first shot wouldn't look out of place on a bilboard for some big company- it's got life, atmosphere and there's a story in there somewhere, you just don't know what it is! Great shot.

Second- not a lot to say to be honest! I'm surer there was something there when you took it!!:D

Dan_S
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 04:11
Love the first shot, i think it would be better without the flare?

oreca
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 05:26
thanks everyone. i personally love the first one myself. oreca, thanks, but i think i'm going to keep the flare. in fact, that's what i wanted from the shot. it really says photograph with it there. i may toy around with photoshop and see what i can do with it and see if i like it, but thanks for your positive comments..

I personally think the rest of the PP is spot on, I wouldn't change much to it if I were you!

amoergosum
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 05:49
I like the first one...great atmosphere!

BottomBracket
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 07:33
#1 is good, it has a 70's feel and what really makes this shot is the rim lighting of the foremost subject. Most people think that flare is an aberration, but I like it. I wish it were polygonal though instead of round. #2 is OK in an experimental sense, though I would like to see it not too closely shot. Great to see another NYC tog here!

bigbaby987
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 12:28
Thanks BottomBracket.. I dig your work too.. If you want to tackle the city together and do like a photowalk, let me know.

BenJammin
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 15:08
I love that 1st one. The lighting is awesome!

bigbaby987
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 16:00
Thank you very much Ben.. Her are a few extras from that 2 days..

bigbaby987
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 16:03
few more

thanks for all the love;)

newbie builder
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 16:23
Great shots- love the first one (and i like it with the flare, maybe you could try taking it out but my inclination is to leave it in), and i love the bike shot too--i remember takings tons of those when i last visited ny, lots of fun.

nicksan
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 16:30
I like #1 as well, and while I don't mind flares in photos I think the location of the flare in this particular photo is what is distracting.

I love the overall feel of it though...same with your hydrant shot.

bigbaby987
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 17:52
thanks newbie and nick..

newbie i've been photographing bikes for a few months now.. many times the same ones.. wanting to the right shot. nyc has so many bikes of different shapes, styles and sizes that it could be an assignment by itself.

i'm probably going to create a coffee table book out of bicycles in nyc soon..

thanks again..

newbie builder
21st of April 2008 (Mon), 21:23
i made the bike thing a kind of assignment for myself when i was there--i kept a special eye out for all the bikes i saw (one of my other hobbies is mountainbiking) and found that most of my favorite shots from the trip weren't of the more classic new york things but instead the bike shots i took.

love your fire hydrant shot too- very nice!

were most of those shot with the 24-70L?

bigbaby987
22nd of April 2008 (Tue), 20:05
yes they all were

j3trowkill
22nd of April 2008 (Tue), 20:52
I love #1! The flare made it! I don't see the reason to take it!