PDA

View Full Version : My Off shoe Ettl cord broke, has this happened to you?

turbodude
26th of April 2008 (Sat), 13:16
If so what did you do? i miss it i need it for work :( there is a broken connecting inside i know this because when i move the wire around it works. so i was wondering who has taken this bad boy apart?

ipschoser1
26th of April 2008 (Sat), 15:13
Yep, it's happened to me. Mine was a junk, third party cord so I guess the time has come to spend the $$$ on a real deal Canon cord. ;)

turbodude
26th of April 2008 (Sat), 18:17
mine is a real deal canon :(

rhyno
26th of April 2008 (Sat), 18:24
if i where you i would make it into a slave

jmb4370
26th of April 2008 (Sat), 23:48
It can easily be repaired or used as the starting point to replace the cord with a longer coiled or straight cord, or an extension cord.

Canon400
27th of April 2008 (Sun), 13:35
solder it??

ih_1979
26th of May 2008 (Mon), 19:53
Pardon me for joining in(and probably too late), maybe just a loose solder. does not need a rocket scientist to know whats in there. just six cables and one diode.... connecting pins from one end to another. I have managed to build my own off shoe cord out of a fried 430EZ and ethernet jacks ;). works perfect.

tim
27th of May 2008 (Tue), 03:32
They're plastic. They break. Have a spare if you rely on it. I have a spare even though I don't use one often.

turbodude
27th of May 2008 (Tue), 03:48
yep thats what i did i bought two.

JS4KIKZ
22nd of July 2008 (Tue), 20:46
I've had 3 canon off shoe cords now.....they've all broke. The first "old style" physically broke, the second one just stopped working, and the third also physically broke. I usually take really good care of them and i am clueless to why they keep breaking :(

tim
22nd of July 2008 (Tue), 21:06
Get a paramount cord - worth a shot anyway.

turbodude
22nd of July 2008 (Tue), 21:09
I've had 3 canon off shoe cords now.....they've all broke. The first "old style" physically broke, the second one just stopped working, and the third also physically broke. I usually take really good care of them and i am clueless to why they keep breaking :(

because they are crap lol, im on my 4th one... :(

r.morales
22nd of July 2008 (Tue), 21:36
Parts -
http://michaelbass.blogspot.com/2006/11/canon-flash-auxillary-sync-mod.html#FootPlateFlashSect
Depending on where the break is [ in cable , shoe mount or flash ] Cable - go to radio shack and buy 2 sets of male , female plugs and cable . Make an extension cord and put a male , female plug on your cable .
GOOD LUCK

turbodude
22nd of July 2008 (Tue), 22:07
Parts -
http://michaelbass.blogspot.com/2006/11/canon-flash-auxillary-sync-mod.html#FootPlateFlashSect
Depending on where the break is [ in cable , shoe mount or flash ] Cable - go to radio shack and buy 2 sets of male , female plugs and cable . Make an extension cord and put a male , female plug on your cable .
GOOD LUCK

the last one that broke on me blew a diode or capacitor on teh blue wire. it wasnt worth my time to figure oput which kind i needed and resolder etc... 35 bucks and i got a new one.

r.morales
23rd of July 2008 (Wed), 09:13
So far I've been lucky . I have a New 3 and a used 2 . I would suggest everyone carry a spare . They show up in the sell forum about once a week .
Mine are both canon - I am not saying Canon is better , I don't / have not owned other brand .
I don't know about camera cords , but almost everything else I buy at best buy - they offer a guarantee .