PDA

View Full Version : Florida Business questions

Mama Tried
29th of April 2008 (Tue), 00:42
Well I decided I need to get a license and have some questions about getting one in Florida. What do I need to do to get one? From what ive been reading it sounds like I need a federal EIN, a state EIN, and a license from every county I shoot and sell in. Is this right? seems like a lot. I will put it as a sole Proprietorship if that helps.

Ledrak
29th of April 2008 (Tue), 09:29
A license for what?

amfoto1
29th of April 2008 (Tue), 10:38
You really need to check with your local governments, rather than here.

There may also be a small business incubator or something similar in your area that can help with relevant advice.

In the end, you will probably need to talk with a local attorney and a local CPA who are both well versed in these matters.

In your question you are already mixing up the business license, federal tax ID (aka Employer Identification Number, which you may or may not need depending upon whether or not your business employs people), and business structure, which are all separate, but possibly related matters. You haven't mentioned fictitious name registration (or similar) or sales tax license (or similar), which are a couple other major considerations for a small business that sells things to the public.

Many of these requirements vary from city to city, county to county and state to state in terms of what's required and even what it's called. So, get local info that's meaningful and correct, to do it right and not end up with problems later.

In many localities, your physical place of doing business decides what you need in terms of certain licenses. You may go to another locale to shoot photos, but not need a license to do that. On the other hand, if you are actually directly selling in another locale, you may need a license, possibly a temporary one if only doing biz there briefly, and to charge, report and submit sales tax locally.

You might find some info on various local government websites, too, if they have them and are good about putting info up online.

Mama Tried
30th of April 2008 (Wed), 11:34
I asked on here because I thought someone might have gone threw it in florida and give some advice. Ive been browsing the government sites and they havent been very helpfull. I remember when I used to work for a trucking company we had our office in Orange county but had to have a license in every county we did jobs in.

bieber
30th of April 2008 (Wed), 13:21
Here in Bradenton, I had to register a federal EIN (this isn't necessary unless you intend to hire employees or incorporate), register a fictitious name with the state, pay a local business tax to the city, and register to collect sales tax. The "local business tax," however, varies from place to place. It's my understanding that usually a county will require some sort of tax and the city won't, but here it's the reverse.

shellti
30th of April 2008 (Wed), 21:06
www.myflorida.com

You can get most all your answers there.

bwolford
2nd of May 2008 (Fri), 07:32
How to start a business in Florida (http://www.amazon.com/Start-Business-Florida-Entrepreneur-Press/dp/1599180758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209731168&sr=8-1)