PDA

View Full Version : canon 100mm macro dust

newb2pro_1day_or_so
7th of May 2008 (Wed), 21:00
I seem to have gotten dust in the back of my 100mm macro lense. Is there any way to remove it without damaging the glass?

jafrknb
7th of May 2008 (Wed), 21:02
If it is the outside try a huricane blower...

newb2pro_1day_or_so
7th of May 2008 (Wed), 21:58
I wish, it's actually found it's way inside the first layer of glass.

Double Negative
8th of May 2008 (Thu), 09:36
Leave it, and don't worry about it. I shouldn't show up in photos. If it's big enough and does somehow, send it to Canon.

newb2pro_1day_or_so
8th of May 2008 (Thu), 10:36
Alright, thanks. Ya, I completely forgot about the waranty that came with the lense. I'm sure Canon would take care of it. I was worried because I've been seeing a lot of "sensor dust" in my pictures even after I cleaned the sensor.

Double Negative
8th of May 2008 (Thu), 10:38
Alright, thanks. Ya, I completely forgot about the waranty that came with the lense. I'm sure Canon would take care of it. I was worried because I've been seeing a lot of "sensor dust" in my pictures even after I cleaned the sensor.

Try a different lens and see if the spots are still there. That would rule out the 100mm. Sensor dust can be a LOT of fun at times... Even tiny specs can be a pain.

newb2pro_1day_or_so
8th of May 2008 (Thu), 11:13
no kidding. I use one of those air bulbs to shoot air in there and get the dust off. I'm starting to wonder if it's the most efficient way of removing the dust from my sensor.

Double Negative
8th of May 2008 (Thu), 12:01
no kidding. I use one of those air bulbs to shoot air in there and get the dust off. I'm starting to wonder if it's the most efficient way of removing the dust from my sensor.

It's a good first attempt. Blow out what you can, brush and blow what you can't. Whatever's left save for the inevitable wet cleaning... *sigh*

One of those sensor magnifiers w/built-in LED light saves a bunch of back-n-forth between cleaning and peeping.

timnosenzo
8th of May 2008 (Thu), 12:19
One of those sensor magnifiers w/built-in LED light saves a bunch of back-n-forth between cleaning and peeping.

I'd second this. At first glance it really looks like a gimmick, but they really do work.