PDA

View Full Version : Tim Burton and his colors...

szekiat
24th of May 2008 (Sat), 18:10
Been watching lots of tim burton's stuff recently, namely sweeny todd and sleepy hollow and i'm just amazed by his colors esp the seudo gothic gloomy colors. I presume it wasn't all filmed on location as i can't imagine anywhere having that many days of that sort of light to allow him to do so, and therefore its most probably post processed. Anyone has any tips on how to achieve it in PS? Would be cool for some portraits and landscapes if u ask me.

Nursedad
25th of May 2008 (Sun), 07:28
I've always thought the color grading for his movies was interesting as well. Probably the same type of techniques you see from movies like Lord of the Rings...where color grading was used heavily. I'm sure this effect can be reproduced in Photoshop. I may play around with a few ideas later today. I'll post an image if I get close to what you're talking about.

Samanax
25th of May 2008 (Sun), 13:19
Been watching lots of tim burton's stuff recently, namely sweeny todd and sleepy hollow and i'm just amazed by his colors esp the seudo gothic gloomy colors. I presume it wasn't all filmed on location as i can't imagine anywhere having that many days of that sort of light to allow him to do so, and therefore its most probably post processed. Anyone has any tips on how to achieve it in PS?I don't have any PS tips but I do know the outdoor shots in "Sleepy Hallow" were shot on location (sometimes with clear bright skies...except the forest scenes, those were done in a studio) and the film was digitally enhanced to give it that eerie atmospheric look. I watched a "Making Of..." on the "Sleepy Hallow" DVD was really surprised at how much they were able to change the look of the movie through digital manipulation.

:) Samanax

szekiat
25th of May 2008 (Sun), 18:29
i figured it was digitally "enhanced" as well since those sort of days are hard to come by. I should know, england's bloody cloudy 6/7 days a week and i'm yet to get anything close! I'd love to programme that as a custom curve/algo onto my camera!

Twitch1977
27th of May 2008 (Tue), 10:09
No constructive input here but I thought Sweeney Todd was a pretty awesome movie. Hope the blu ray comes soon!

Kurt

szekiat
28th of May 2008 (Wed), 09:33
they're mostly quite good in terms of composition and cinematography. Unlike some of the other directors today, here's one who really has an eye for detail.

Zilly
28th of May 2008 (Wed), 18:22
the trick of it to start with comes from the light its very theatical in style lighting the actors away from the back ground.
also the colors used are very drab pee green brown dark dull red
then the saturation has been dropped a bit and a brown tint has been added

thats the basics of it. more of it is done infront of the camera than behind