PDA

View Full Version : "On location" lighting setting

OneManArmy
22nd of December 2004 (Wed), 14:29
Ok, I'm doing a pretty large tournament (Judo type tournament) in Jan. Spoke with them, and would like to have the winner of each bracket "step off" to a small area with some lights for a portrait, kind of like what happens at a graduation. This will likely occur in a gymnasium setting. Any suggestions for lighting equipment for this situation??? Thanks

Jon
22nd of December 2004 (Wed), 14:47
What do you have, and how much are you willing to spend if it becomes necessary?

IndyJeff
22nd of December 2004 (Wed), 15:38
Funny you should post this now. I have just been purusing ebay looking for lighting kits. Came across a webstore that has some pretty good deals, photographers supply (http://stores.ebay.com/Photographers-SupplyStation_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm)

snibbetsj
22nd of December 2004 (Wed), 22:36
You might want to get an Alien Bee 400 or 800 with an umbrella and use that. They're not too expensive and are very good strobes. I'd also invest in a background stand and some paper so you get a clean photo.

Parents, friends, etc will want prints NOW rather later. It might behoove you to get a laptop and one of the Canon or Epson 6 color printers to print 4x6, 8x10 etc at the tournament. You'll sell more there than later (you should have an assistant if at all possible)

Merry Christmas :)

OneManArmy
23rd of December 2004 (Thu), 14:32
You might want to get an Alien Bee 400 or 800 with an umbrella and use that. They're not too expensive and are very good strobes. I'd also invest in a background stand and some paper so you get a clean photo.
Unfortunately, it's unlikely I'll be able to afford an alien bee by then; I just bought a 20d... Until then I posted this to get some advice on a few cheap lighting components until I get get something "real" at which time I'll start practicing studio portraiture. Right now I just want to do some quick on-site shots.

Parents, friends, etc will want prints NOW rather later. It might behoove you to get a laptop and one of the Canon or Epson 6 color printers to print 4x6, 8x10 etc at the tournament. You'll sell more there than later (you should have an assistant if at all possible)

Merry Christmas :)I've pondered the whole issue of on-site printing, and for now have decided to get them developed at a real lab. I'm typically too busy shooting an event to worry about cropping photos in photoshop (yes I do have a laptop though). Also, I'm too busy building up my photog gear to buy a printer at the moment; I still need some good lighting, a 70-200L, and a 17-40L, in that order. Thanks

Jon
23rd of December 2004 (Thu), 14:42
If you don't have at least two flashes, one of which can be slaved to the other, you'll need to get some kind of lighting equipment. You will probably (unless there's an uncluttered wall/backdrop somewhere there) need a background of some kind. Probably at least 8' x 10' on the wall, and preferably extending forward another 8' for them to stand on. You might be able to rent all this; if you aren't ready for that, and really want to do it, some R-40 floods or photofloods (which will get rather hot) may do the job. But if you can't be sure you'll go into it with a good handle on the lighting, don't blow your credibility with them by trying to throw something together on the day.

snibbetsj
23rd of December 2004 (Thu), 16:07
The lighting in a gym is pretty bad, you're going to have to use something. Definitely check into renting.

Jon wrote:
But if you can't be sure you'll go into it with a good handle on the lighting, don't blow your credibility with them by trying to throw something together on the day.
A key point, you want to make this your first shoot, not your last.

Merry Christmas :)