PDA

View Full Version : Best Light: Sunrise or Sunset (in general)?

doidinho
20th of June 2008 (Fri), 23:18
I was thinking about this today and I have come to the conclusion that I prefer sunset over sunrise. I know that in many situations it will depend on the exposure of your subject; however, if I'm going to go out shooting and don't know what I will be shooting I much prefer sunset.

Is it me or does the good light last longer at sunset than at sunrise? In addition there is more light to see with to compose your photo before the shot, it's warmer, and you don't need to wake up at 3:00am.

PhotosGuy
21st of June 2008 (Sat), 10:22
Same difference, except if you're shooting cars, you may have condensation problems at sunrise.

A few Car Lighting Tips - Updated (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70290)

slappy sam
21st of June 2008 (Sat), 21:23
I've seen a lot more dramatic (red/purple) skies at sunset than sunrise. Dunno though, maybe its just because I see many more sunsets than sunrises.

williamfriggle
21st of June 2008 (Sat), 21:38
I voted sunset. I can not get up early enough to see the sunrise anymore. LOL. At least not up enough to function enough to take pictures.

I shot this at sunset. Nice lighting I think.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/williamfriggle/DPP_0040.jpg

Shutterbug Doug
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 00:23
I chose sunset but it really depends on what kind of sky you're looking for. There may be no difference but I feel that the sunrise sky can be/seem darker than a sunset. Call me weird....LOL

Moppie
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 00:33
Depends which way you want the light to hit the subject.

iamaelephant
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 05:00
I prefer to shoot sunrises because I love early mornings, but as far as light goes I say sunsets. There tends to be a lot of mist in the air during sunrise which gets burnt off during the day leaving the air clear for sunset.

Molnies
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 05:15
I voted Sunrise. It's no question here where I live, the sunrise has a magical light to it that the sunset just can't match. At sunrise you will almost always have some morning fog as well which adds depth to your photos.
I don't mind going out at 3am if it means I can catch that morning light.

jde95tln
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 05:25
I gotta go with sunrise as well, mostly due to these photos that I had just taken yesterday morning on my way home from work. It was beautiful. But of course it does matter what you are trying to photograph, some things look better at certain times of the day as opposed to other times.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5768620#post5768620

chauncey
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 06:55
One of my best shots ever was at sunset in Colorado.

The forest fires off to the west from Utah created a really stunning sky. That "look" never happens at sunrise.

Hermeto
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 07:20
I am too lazy to write, so Iím waiting for somebody else to write a post that I could agree with.. :D
Voted sunrise, BTW..

Eagle
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 16:07
Depends which way you want the light to hit the subject.
This would be the correct answer, IMO.

doidinho
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 18:30
This would be the correct answer, IMO.

Read the second sentance im my original post.

chauncey
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 18:39
The sun goes round and round, the earth goes round and round.

Why might the light take longer to exit than it does to enter, although there might be a difference due to geography (mountains and such).

You might have phrased your response a little more gracefully.

CAL Imagery
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 21:26
I like sunset because of the colors I can get, or have achieved, and I'm better at it right now. It seems half the battle of sunrise is getting out and set up early enough.

DocFrankenstein
22nd of June 2008 (Sun), 22:24
Generally, I sleep during sunrise. So sunsets are much better.

blackcap
23rd of June 2008 (Mon), 03:51
I've had better results with sunsets, but there are some really nice east-facing beaches nearby so I've had to do a few sunrises too. They've been good too, but I've done 4 or 5 in the last few months and they've all been fairly similar, whereas with the sunsets I've done in the same timeframe, there has been more variation between shoots. Probably just luck. I'm hoping my next sunrise will be spectacular and blow my socks off :)

Molnies
23rd of June 2008 (Mon), 04:27
I'm guessing most of the people that complain about sunrise being early doesn't live as far north as I do. Here the sunrise varies between 3am-9am depending on the month and the sunset varies between 2pm-11pm, and I live in the south of Sweden, up north the sun might never go down, or up.

Bill Pham
23rd of June 2008 (Mon), 09:21
i like both since i shoot macro and some birds. like the morning for dew drops on insects and they are still cold. easier to shoot them since they are not moving that much. sunset for the light on the birds i'm attempting to shoot. notice i said attempt.

Bill

slappy sam
24th of June 2008 (Tue), 23:29
I've had better results with sunsets, but there are some really nice east-facing beaches nearby so I've had to do a few sunrises too. They've been good too, but I've done 4 or 5 in the last few months and they've all been fairly similar, whereas with the sunsets I've done in the same timeframe, there has been more variation between shoots. Probably just luck. I'm hoping my next sunrise will be spectacular and blow my socks off :)
Same thing here...

AnthonyLin
25th of June 2008 (Wed), 02:13
Sunrise. The usual damp, cold air, and lack of people at that time add a magical feel to the scene. Sunsets look great too, but they look too chemical and red compared to sunrise.