PDA

View Full Version : Brands Hatch Track day

Littlenose
9th of January 2005 (Sun), 11:45
well i got out of bed early to catch the morning sessions... as we had rain forcaste for the afternoon and i didn't fancy a ride home in the rain.

It's been a while since i've been to the track, but the smell was unmistakeable.... racing was happening... here's a couple of the shots i took,both are from Druids... i really like it up there, as the view watching them come on over paddock hill bend is fantastic... i've never ridden on this circuit yet, but by all accounts paddock hill is VERY scary !!!

thanks for looking.

Jonny
9th of January 2005 (Sun), 12:10
I was considering going down to Donnington Park for their track days but as i have never been to any motor racing circuit i am unsure about what to expect.
Do spectators have to pay admission on track days and do you get admitted as a spectator? Do you have to be invited in by a rider?

Also for events other than track days are we allow to take pics from the spectators enclosures? I know a lot of sporting events outlaw photography of any kind.

Whats the score?

Littlenose
9th of January 2005 (Sun), 13:11
No just turn up and ride on through the gates... you can go round all the usual spectator places, and even have a ponder round the paddock [pit lane] most times... i've usually known someone on the track when i've been before, but this time it was as an off chance... just so happened i met a couple of folk down there that i knew, and got chatting to a couple of the marshals .. top people volunteering for this ! And they never said anything about me taking pics... even offered a few helpful hints.

One thing i did wonder about... is if there's a company doing the "official" pics for the event, maybe they wouldn't be too chuffed... but in all seriousness, i noramlly have been down to the track to take pics / chat / support the folk i know out on the track... today was different, in that i really just wanted to get down there and practice with my new camera.

iwatkins
9th of January 2005 (Sun), 17:18
I do a lot of track days, many becuase people i know are going to be on track sometimes not.

I just turn up, say "I'm here for the track day" and that is it.

If you want to shoot proper motorsport, I would say that attending track days are the easiest (and cheapest) way of getting practice of panning techniques, finding good shooting positions etc.

Cheers

Ian

Cadwell
11th of January 2005 (Tue), 13:50
I like the second shot. :)

It's a pity the first one is marred by the horizontal line. That fence up at Druids is a complete pain. If you shoot at about 300mm with a narrow enough depth of field (@f/4) you can generaly shoot straight through it ;)

Littlenose
11th of January 2005 (Tue), 15:28
Thanks for the encouragement and the hints... i like the idea of shooting "through" the wire mesh, but i'm not sure that my lens is capable of that without super sunny days :D

I've spent a little more time with the pics over the last few days, and grown to like some of the other pics i got that day a bit more... Here's another couple of pics from Druids...

The first i like simply from a compositional point of view:- the way the guys lined up nicely for me.

The second i like as it came out super sharp, but more so the lighting on it makes me think about sumer cruising on roads i know in the late evening [minus the cars ;)]

Cadwell
11th of January 2005 (Tue), 17:49
Yes, I like the second shot. The lighting is interesting and rear shots of bikes/cars can look very good... an underused shot.

The first image doesn't really do it for me. It's nice seeing three bikes in shot. That's good because "racing" is what people like to see in motorsport shots (I know it was a track day but humor me ;) some of the best "racing" shots are taken on green flag laps or following a safety car - after all who's to know? :p ). What I don't like is that the first bike is out of focus - it looks like you were using the center AF point. If you go for that sort of shot it's normally better to focus on the front bike and then crop the picture to get them to fill the frame.

Shooting through the wires is easy, even in low light. In fact long focal lenght with large aperture is what you need. It actually becomes a problem when there's too much light! The trick is to get your lens as close to the fence as possible.

dodger
17th of January 2005 (Mon), 15:12
Hey Cadwell I looked at your motorsport galleries. I liked the Piquet shot at Donington. I got some there on the same day:)

I'm a newbie here and was using the post to add an attached picture. It seems mine had too large a file size so I'll have to try again later

dodger
17th of January 2005 (Mon), 15:33
Here goes again!

Littlenose
18th of January 2005 (Tue), 01:13
What I don't like is that the first bike is out of focus - it looks like you were using the center AF point. If you go for that sort of shot it's normally better to focus on the front bike and then crop the picture to get them to fill the frame.

Shooting through the wires is easy, even in low light. In fact long focal lenght with large aperture is what you need. It actually becomes a problem when there's too much light! The trick is to get your lens as close to the fence as possible.

Cheers Cadwell... until you said that i was quite ahppy with that pic, but now i see waht you mean... it is obvious i've used center focus... but i'd have been happier i think if like you suggest, i had the first bike in focus instead... taken on board :)

Shooting through the wires... cheerse for the info on that.. i think i'll struggle a bit more with that, as my lens isn't so sharp at long focal lengths when i open up the aperture... but rest assured, i'll give it a try.. hopefully this weekend, as there's another trackday down at Brands :D [Hoping to get to Thruxton soon too]

PhotosGuy
18th of January 2005 (Tue), 07:48
Shooting through the wires... #1 would have been a great shot. Sometimes in a situation like that, if you have a shot in your mind, it's simpler to use M focus & pre-focus on the spot where you want the sharpness. Then hoping that, when they get there, the shot you want happens. Yes, you'll miss some, but you'll get some too. ;)

Cadwell
18th of January 2005 (Tue), 09:26
Hey Cadwell I looked at your motorsport galleries. I liked the Piquet shot at Donington. I got some there on the same day:)

Hi dodger and thanks :) Nice shots from you too and welcome to the forum!

i'll give it a try.. hopefully this weekend, as there's another trackday down at Brands

:idea: Soooo.... there's a track day at Brands this weekend is there? *starts to get that itchy lens feeling*

Littlenose
18th of January 2005 (Tue), 09:48
#1 would have been a great shot. Sometimes in a situation like that, if you have a shot in your mind, it's simpler to use M focus & pre-focus on the spot where you want the sharpness. Then hoping that, when they get there, the shot you want happens. Yes, you'll miss some, but you'll get some too. ;)

Thanks Photosguy... i knew i wanted that shot before i got to the track... i've captured a few like that on the ixus, but this was the first time with the 300D, i'm waiting for the first GP circuit day as i want some coming out of surtees with the front wheel up ;) ... i like Brands a LOT [Llyod Christmas voice] for taking pics... but as has been mentioned the fence gets in the way a LOT too.. however some of the fencing is down at Druids just now for embankment works.

:idea: Soooo.... there's a track day at Brands this weekend is there? *starts to get that itchy lens feeling*

I believe so Cadwell, but not sure which day, and i tried to find the details on it this mornign and couldn't find it... if i find out when it is on i'll PM you to let you know. I have a sneaky suspicion [sp?] that you'll easily find me if i'm there :D

dodger
18th of January 2005 (Tue), 13:28
As a complete newbie here can somebody explain how to reduce an image to a forum acceptable size whilst keeping the detail and also how to display images with that nice shadow background :)

I split my time between driving and photogaphing track and race meetings. I have to say both give me a buzz!

Dandaman_24
18th of January 2005 (Tue), 13:51
As a complete newbie here can somebody explain how to reduce an image to a forum acceptable size whilst keeping the detail and also how to display images with that nice shadow background :)

I split my time between driving and photogaphing track and race meetings. I have to say both give me a buzz!
Hi

I prsume your using some sort of photoshop.

Image --> Image Size

Put the image to 72dpi then change image size to maximum of 500 pixels

Molydood
26th of January 2005 (Wed), 16:37
nice shots mikey, I was down there the next weekend for sat and sun (bikes then cars)
http://www.pbase.com/molydood/image/38969719.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/molydood/image/38969778.jpg

next time I am going to try different composition and cropping (200mm is not quite enough :-( )