PDA

View Full Version : My D30 wish list...

lray
9th of July 2001 (Mon), 09:42
A few things I wish my D30 had.....or, what they'll put on the D40..

1. Indiglo LCD for the top of the camera.

2. When using the BG-ED3 grip, pressing the shutter button on it will save the image vertically.

3. Replace 'white' autofocus light with red/IR light.

4. Add more focusing points to allow faster/reliable focusing speeds.

5. Include a software package like BreezeBrowser instead of crappy ZoomBrowser.

6. Add additional camera setting to record images in black and white only. Boy, would that save some disk space.

7. Add feature that would allow faster zooming of images in the preview windows. The 'preview' utility is just not user friendly.

8. Multicolored bodies....blue, pink, yellow, etc......(just kiddin')

-Lee

How about you??? What do you need?

JCDoss
10th of July 2001 (Tue), 07:58
I *strongly* agree with numbers 1, 2, and 4. Maybe we should ask for eye-control focus on the next model. ;-)

Re: AF assist light. I used to think along similar lines, but after having given thought to it, I think the light should be eliminated altogether. It serves no other purpose than to annoy subjects (as an AF assist, or as a red-eye reduction lamp). Just exclude it next time and use the ST-E2. Yeah, it's expensive, but you only have to buy it once.

Re: Software. Canon and ACDSee have teamed up (search www.dpreview.com's news archives for the story), so good software should be expected with the next batch of cameras.

Re: B/W mode. Not a bad idea, but I wonder if this is a job for PS?

Re: Multi-colored bodies. Don't make me barf!

The only think I can think of to add is LCD preview on a flip/swivel LCD on the back panel. This would allow shots to be taken at difficult angles, or to facilitate easier viewing while on a tripod with a remote release (for example). This is the only current real weakness of DSLRs, IMO.

JCDoss

reddawn
10th of July 2001 (Tue), 20:27
JCDoss wrote:
I *strongly* agree with numbers 1, 2, and 4. Maybe we should ask for eye-control focus on the next model. ;-)

Re: AF assist light. I used to think along similar lines, but after having given thought to it, I think the light should be eliminated altogether. It serves no other purpose than to annoy subjects (as an AF assist, or as a red-eye reduction lamp). Just exclude it next time and use the ST-E2. Yeah, it's expensive, but you only have to buy it once.

STE2 functionality should be built into the next camera :)

anywayI would like to see highlighted / blinking focus points when they are selected, like those of the Elan 7 / 7e. Better still, throw in the eye control as well :P

JCDoss
10th of July 2001 (Tue), 21:18
reddawn wrote:
STE2 functionality should be built into the next camera :)

anywayI would like to see highlighted / blinking focus points when they are selected, like those of the Elan 7 / 7e. Better still, throw in the eye control as well :P

I forgot to mention the blinking focus points! Those would be *greatly* appreciated! I've never used eye-control focus, but it surprisingly gets mixed reviews at most photo forums. It would only be useful on a camera like the EOS3 or 1V with 45 focus points, though. No point in putting it on a camera with three AF points.

Re: ST-E2 functionality being built into the next camera. It would be nice to have a decent AF assist built into the camera, wouldn't it? But it is my conclusion based on other discussions on this topic that the built-in lamps are either too weak or too small to make a significant difference. Not only that, but larger L-class lenses with their wide apertures would likely block much of the output anyways. I think the real solution we all want is a more sensitive AF module (like the EOS3's or 1V's, right?).

The good news is that the $200 that the ST-E2 costs can be carried over to the next few DSLRs that Canon makes... so you'll only be paying for this feature once, and you can use it on many cameras. Is that enough consolation?

JCDoss

NickSimcheck
18th of March 2009 (Wed), 13:12
A few things I wish my D30 had.....or, what they'll put on the D40..

1. Indiglo LCD for the top of the camera.

2. When using the BG-ED3 grip, pressing the shutter button on it will save the image vertically.

3. Replace 'white' autofocus light with red/IR light.

4. Add more focusing points to allow faster/reliable focusing speeds.

5. Include a software package like BreezeBrowser instead of crappy ZoomBrowser.

6. Add additional camera setting to record images in black and white only. Boy, would that save some disk space.

7. Add feature that would allow faster zooming of images in the preview windows. The 'preview' utility is just not user friendly.

8. Multicolored bodies....blue, pink, yellow, etc......(just kiddin')

-Lee

How about you??? What do you need?

Thread from the Dead!

Fast forward almost 8 years and look!, still no in camera B&W!

bw!

I don't know why you'd need it anyway...

Sean
18th of March 2009 (Wed), 13:23
Thread from the Dead!

Fast forward almost 8 years and look!, still no in camera B&W!

bw!

I don't know why you'd need it anyway...

UM, mono-chrome picture style?:rolleyes:

NickSimcheck
18th of March 2009 (Wed), 13:25
UM, mono-chrome picture style?:rolleyes:

There is?

Crap, that ruined my pointless return of one of the oldest threads...

(goes to show I never use picture styes, I'm all RAW baby!)

Karl Johnston
18th of March 2009 (Wed), 15:31
Most of the things on that wishlist came true.

1, 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8...just not specifically for canon for #8. Interesting eh. Maybe canon designers read this forum ;) (I wouldn't doubt it).