PDA

View Full Version : Car Professors Assemble! - Corolla Vs. Malibu

PhotoJourno
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 01:24
I love carrying all my Canon gear in my car. (there, now it's photography related).

Here's the simple version of the story.

I own an 08 Corolla (Standard issue, Automatic transmission).
I have the chance to switch to Chevrolet Malibu (07 or 08). LT version, not tricked out or with any fancy package.

Anyone around here own the Malibu?...

Any thoughts?...

So far, an online comparison says that the Malibu seems a bit more powerful for its weight, and that the price (MSRP at least) is a bit higher on the Chevy.

Personally, I would trade it without hesitation. However, I have not heard a lot about it. I heard that it seems a bit roomier, and responds a tad better than a Toyota. Other than that... you tell me. :)

eddarr
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 01:35
All things being equal right now. I would stick with the Toyota over a Chevy. Besides if you are trading in a 2008 car you will get killed.

Which one gets better gas mileage?

PhotoJourno
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 01:41
Good question. For what I read, the Toyota seems to get better mileage. The chevy has a slighter higher consumption, and also a bigger gas tank.

For the purposes of this thread, let's imagine all things being equal. Why Toyota over Chevy?...

condyk
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 03:00
Anything called 'Malibu' is implicitly uncool IMO, unless it is actually the place 'Malibu'. The Corolla is 'uncool' but it ain't tryin' to be 'cool' and so therefore is 'cooler'. What else matters?

smcclelland
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 09:40
Toyota hands down. I've never been able to sit comfortably in any domestic vehicle as I feel there's not a single domestic manufacturer that pays attention to detail when it comes to ergonomics in the interior.

I'm driving around in a Pontiac G5 4 door right now as a rental from the insurance company and it's absolutely painful, it makes my old GTI feel like a luxury car.

Michael
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 09:54
Corolla! Definitely! I don't know what the US models are like, but I was checking out the middle range model here in Australia and it is pretty nice. 6 speed manual, 7 l/100km.. pretty damn good.

I don't think Corollas, or Toyota's in general are "uncool". I think they are becoming a more up market car company as of late, at least in Australia.

PhotoJourno
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 11:12
Thanks for the feedback.

inthedeck
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 11:21
I'd keep the Corolla. It'll outlast the Malibu.

Cotmweasel
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 11:34

Thats what I was going to say. Toyota is rated one of the top most reliable car companies. Chevy isn't even close. The Toyota is most likely going to last a lot longer then the chevy.

PhotoJourno
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 11:39
Ok. Let's add some spice to the situation, then.

You still have to choose between one of two, however:

- On the Toyota, the Loan is for 15 beans, although the car is worth 10 new, and only 8 out of the lot. (why 15 for a 10 car? long story, but stick with me on this one).

- On the Chevy, the Loan is for 10 beans, car is worth 10 new, and also probably 7-8 out of the lot.

Would you still overpay 5 beans for the toyota, or make it go away and get a fairly priced Chevy?

inthedeck
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 11:47
I'd still say the gas savings on the corolla will outweigh the price diff. on the car, over time.

Secondly, I wouldn't pay 'over' anything, on a car...it's a depreciating asset...I'd go to another dealer.

smcclelland
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 12:51
Honestly, even if it was for 15 beans with interest that Toyota is going to far out last the Malibu, save you on gas and be far more reliable in my opinion.

Side note though, definitely source other dealers. One VW dealer offered me 3.9% on my GTI, another offered me 1.9% and the one I bought it from did 0% for 5 years so it pays to shop around.

eddarr
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 15:36
You own the toyota now don't you?

If that's the case you are upside down 7 beans on the toyota. If you trade it in on the malibu you will end up paying 17 beans for the malibu. I would rather be upside down on a toyota than a chevy. It goes back to the reliability and the toyota will hold value much longer than the chevy.

This is just going to be a never ending problem. I have a feeling you were upside down in the previous car also. Stop the madness here. Keep the toyota long enough to have a little equity in it before you look to trade it for something else.

ibdb
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 15:46
I'll throw in a contrarian thought, it would appear.

The 2007 Malibu I'd avoid. The 2008 might be worth considering, though I don't have any personal experience with it. Car & Driver named the 2008 version to its 10 best list and gave it as good a review as I've seen just about any car in quite a while (the 10 best mention is here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/best_worst_lists/2008_10best_cars_10best_cars+page-5.html).

Financially, a paid off car is a better deal than anything that isn't. You'd have to have some HUGE fuel savings to make just about any paid off vehicle worth getting rid of to get a newer, more fuel efficient car. To me, unless you're driving lots of miles, trading a car for the fuel savings just isn't the right financial decision in a lot of cases right now. There are some calculators out there that allow you to estimate how long you'd have to own a more fuel efficient car to make up for the hit you take in selling a less efficient one and purchasing the more efficient one -- I think edmunds.com might have one.

Dave.H
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 16:06

What is this oppinion based on?

The 2007 Malibu I'd avoid.

Why?

I'm not trying to start an internet argument. I am simply curious for my own personal reasons what the basis of the oppinions are here.

:D

ibdb
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 16:52
Why?
I have no person experience with either. The 2008, however, was a significant rebuild of the model. It marked a major change in every aspect of the car and has received significant praise I haven't seen put on prior versions of the car in as long as I can remember.

inthedeck
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 17:22

I've no scientific evidence. However, over the long haul, whenever I hear a person 'start' an 'older' toyota vs. a chevy, the toyota still sounds OK. The chevy has this odd burble, which only gets worse, once that person steps on the throttle.

I've owned both American and Japanese cars. These days, there's not much that can handle the roads in this country, and remain squeak free, so, I've given up trying to find that vehicle.

If I were to chose...today, I'd get a freakin' scooter, or a smallish bike, and ride that. Fark everything else. :lol: They are ALL one big depreciating asset, no matter which way you look at it (unless of course it's a collectible car). But, I don't have that kinda money, so, fark it anyway. :lol:

And yes, the 2008 malibu looks real nice, as does the Pontiac G8. Though, still not for me.

Dave.H
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 19:48
OK. Thanks for the honesty. I was just curious for my own sake. :D

inthedeck
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 21:45
It's like speculating about a 24-70 and 24-105. Both are good...which one is best?

PhotoJourno
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 21:49
OK. Thanks for the honesty. I was just curious for my own sake. :D

I ask the same question myself. I have barely seen yet the classic "I have read somewhere that..." or "I own and drive...". The rest to me is still helpful, but no more speculative than my own thoughts.

As for the particulars of any potential transaction, everyone can see I have deliberately left out some information.

I guess my main point for the thread was...

" If it were you, would you keep a toyota when it's loan is an extra 25% higher than the original value of the vehicle, or would you rather accept the opportunity to let go of the Corolla, and instead accept a Chevy Malibu 08, with a loan for its exact value".

Personally, I wanted to hear what others thought about the cars. Because of my financial position, I am very likely going to let the Toyota go, and get the Chevy. The hows and Whens are not that important.

I guess the chevy does not have anything horrible, or I would have read it already.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I did hear that the 08 version of the chevy has been improved greatly. And every other review on magazines and online, also seem to point towards a virtual equality of both models.

Anyhow, thanks all so much for pitching in, and feel free to keep posting.

NZDoug
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 22:01
Better the devil you know.......:evil:

PhotoJourno
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 22:08
Better the devil you know.......:evil:

Honestly not sure as to what it means.
The little face makes me think it could be a humorous comment, or the opposite. Help?

NZDoug
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 22:13
I mean you know your present cars mechanical health and the other could have problems, then youd be screwed.....basically.

PhotoJourno
6th of August 2008 (Wed), 22:15
I mean you know your present cars mechanical health and the other could have problems, then youd be screwed.....basically.

got it. Really good point. I had personally not heard much about the Chevy, so I was just drawing a blank out there.

Thanks for your comment :)

PhotoJourno
7th of August 2008 (Thu), 00:56
I like the way the new Chevy looks:

http://www.myride.com/images/vehicle/2008/Chevrolet/Malibu/oem/08_Chevrolet_Malibu_LTZ_037_(400x300).jpg

Darsk47
7th of August 2008 (Thu), 05:13
Some data to mess up a good argument.

from JD Power.com initial quality survey: (THE source for automobile quality surveys)

The Malibu kills the Camry. Beats it in 6 of 9 categories measured, ties for 2 and gives up only 1. Malibu also wins the JD Power award for 2008 in the Initial Quality Survey for midsize cars. Toyota doesn't even make the podium ... A Mitsubishi gets silver and a Ford is third !!

Source: http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/quality-ratings-by-category/midsize-car/sortcolumn-0/ascending/page-2#page-anchor

Check out the Chevy website - that Malibu has won a a lot of awards.
I like the look of it too. It's a no-brainer choice for me Mario. I'm going with the Chev.

LBaldwin
7th of August 2008 (Thu), 05:36

Why?

I'm not trying to start an internet argument. I am simply curious for my own personal reasons what the basis of the oppinions are here.

:D

I'll tell ya why!! In my family we have had 7 toyotas, All went over 120000 without a major part failing except one. All went over 200000 without a major part replacement except one. 5 went over 300000 without any issues at all, we sold the other two to buy a Honda and a Chevy truck. Both the Honda and the Chevy truck needed major repairs prior to 70000 for the truck and 85000 for the Honda.

My 1986 my Toyota truck had 320000 miles on when it finally gave up the ghost for good. I bought a Tundra. It is proven over and over again, all over the world that Toyota makes the most fuel effecient, rugged, dependable cars than any other maker, period. ALL of the other car makers have studied at their facility to improve quality.

Incidently My wife has a 1996 Camry that has over 280000 on it right now, and it runs like a clock.

This is not just anecdotal evidence, I have 7 cars to prove it. Do they suffer a case of the uglies, yeah they do. The paint is not that great, the interiors are not that great and way too much plastic. But they get you from point A to point B...

Dave.H
7th of August 2008 (Thu), 07:44
Personally, I wanted to hear what others thought about the cars. Because of my financial position, I am very likely going to let the Toyota go, and get the Chevy. The hows and Whens are not that important.

I guess the chevy does not have anything horrible, or I would have read it already.

Sounds like your mind is made up.

While I won't deny Toyota makes a good running car, I am just not a big fan of the fit and finish and comfort of Japanese cars. They use thinner sheetmetal (which probably helps the fuel economy) so you get more road noise and the cars just seem more plasticy. Thats my personal oppinion having driven Toyotas and GMs take it for what it is worth. I don't intend to argue the point as its just an opinion. I don't know that I would call Toyotas rugged either. Dependable? Yes. But I imagine rugged is a subjective that I suppose could be argued till we all turn blue in the face. (and yes thats a japanese car in my avatar that is in my driveway)

I'm not saying the GM is all that. I am very biased towards GM so take my opinion for what it is worth.

No car is perfect but the JD Powers data holds a LOT of weight with the industry so I would not take it lightly.

CH3NO2
7th of August 2008 (Thu), 11:18
I'll tell ya why!! In my family we have had 7 toyotas, All went over 120000 without a major part failing except one. All went over 200000 without a major part replacement except one. 5 went over 300000 without any issues at all, we sold the other two to buy a Honda and a Chevy truck. Both the Honda and the Chevy truck needed major repairs prior to 70000 for the truck and 85000 for the Honda.

My 1986 my Toyota truck had 320000 miles on when it finally gave up the ghost for good. I bought a Tundra. It is proven over and over again, all over the world that Toyota makes the most fuel effecient, rugged, dependable cars than any other maker, period. ALL of the other car makers have studied at their facility to improve quality.

Incidently My wife has a 1996 Camry that has over 280000 on it right now, and it runs like a clock.

This is not just anecdotal evidence, I have 7 cars to prove it. Do they suffer a case of the uglies, yeah they do. The paint is not that great, the interiors are not that great and way too much plastic. But they get you from point A to point B...

Not to start an arguement but your basing your opinion on owning one Chevy? I'm not saying the Toyota wouldn't last longer in the long run, but every vehicle is not created equal from the same manufacturer. Based on people I know that work in the car business more and more people either lease or trade up before they see 100,000 miles.

I've had great experience owning Chevy's one of which I sold this year. It was a 2000 Camaro with heads and cam that had over 400hp to the wheels and seen a lot of dragstrip time. It was on 78,000 miles and ran perfectly with general maintenance. A friend has a 92 Firebird with 150,000+ miles on the orginal motor and sees the dragstrip a lot with only general maintenance.

I guess my point is any car you buy is the "luck of the draw". One minor problem can cause major headaches and it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. Sometimes crap happens. Do some manufactures have a better track record than others? Yes. Is that a guarantee your car will be perfect? No.

Sorry for the rant.....

oaktree
7th of August 2008 (Thu), 12:11
By unforeseen circumstances, we now have 2 GM cars: a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera and a 2003 Saturn Wagon. Before that we had a 1980 Toyota Celica and a 1989 Toyota Camry Wagon.

As the Celica went over 20 years old, my brother decided to move back to Hawaii and gave us his Olds. We sold the Celica to our neighbor's son. When the engine of our Camry started blowing smoke, we HAD to buy a Saturn because Toyota no longer built a Camry station wagon (2003). We needed a larger size wagon to move my mother-n-law and her wheel chair.

So far, both GM cars are doing very well. In fact, I've had less problems with the GM cars than with the 2 Toyotas. No major repairs for the GM cars so far, while the Celica needed a head gasket replacement at about 10 years old and the Camry's engine lasted only 13 years (150,000 miles).

The Olds is a wonder: No major problems, very smooth and powerful engine, should easily last over 20 years. Only has 90,000 miles on it for an 18 year old car. The paint is fading a bit, but so what. Great car! :)

LBaldwin
7th of August 2008 (Thu), 12:18
Not to start an arguement but your basing your opinion on owning one Chevy? I'm not saying the Toyota wouldn't last longer in the long run, but every vehicle is not created equal from the same manufacturer. Based on people I know that work in the car business more and more people either lease or trade up before they see 100,000 miles.

I've had great experience owning Chevy's one of which I sold this year. It was a 2000 Camaro with heads and cam that had over 400hp to the wheels and seen a lot of dragstrip time. It was on 78,000 miles and ran perfectly with general maintenance. A friend has a 92 Firebird with 150,000+ miles on the orginal motor and sees the dragstrip a lot with only general maintenance.

I guess my point is any car you buy is the "luck of the draw". One minor problem can cause major headaches and it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. Sometimes crap happens. Do some manufactures have a better track record than others? Yes. Is that a guarantee your car will be perfect? No.

Sorry for the rant.....

I don't disagree in the least. Basic maint is primary to getting high milage from any vehicle. Just an FYI we did not have just one Chevy. In our 6 primary family members we have had 3, chevys. I had a Citation that did OK til about 162000 or so. But NONE reached 300k. Chevy v8 are some of the best engines ever built. But get lousy milage, and the rest of the vehicle did not hold up all that well...

The USA taught the Japanese how to build world class products, but we soon forgot how to do it ourselves. If you look at car sales in general now, where do the US car makers rank?

rklepper
7th of August 2008 (Thu), 13:24
I like Toyotas. I had a 4-Runner that I had over 400,000 miles on. the metal holding the bolts that hold the rear end on rusted away and the rear end fell off. I put it in 4 wheel drive and drug it 4 miles home under its own power, sans the rear end. I still sold the 4-runner for $3,000.

LBaldwin
7th of August 2008 (Thu), 14:25
I like Toyotas. I had a 4-Runner that I had over 400,000 miles on. the metal holding the bolts that hold the rear end on rusted away and the rear end fell off. I put it in 4 wheel drive and drug it 4 miles home under its own power, sans the rear end. I still sold the 4-runner for $3,000.

DAYUMMM!! The only thing I really wanted on each of trucks was 4WD. I didn't get either time...

NickSimcheck
7th of August 2008 (Thu), 22:43
I'm a Honda and BMW man myself, BMW for quality and Honda for economy. They both are some of the best brands for holding resale, are very reliable, etc.

Toyotas from the mid-late 80's into 01' or 02' are very well made cars, but now I feel as if they are riding on people's expectations that they are reliable, when in fact they have had more recalls (overall) recently then Ford or GM. The 2004 Scion tC I had gave me soo many problems that I sold it before it even had 14K miles on it. However even the "new" Corolla seems to more consistant/reliable/well made then other Toyota models.

On the flipside GM has jumped leaps in the last couple of years, and may even be a tad better (not speaking for all their cars though) then the current Toyotas. Only time will tell though.

Another thing to remember is that domestic cars tend to depreciate harder then imports. For example two cars new that were 30K and 10 years later the import would sell for 7K, and the exact same domestic might be 4K.

I say Malibu, only because of the bean situation. Best of luck either way...

PhotoJourno
8th of August 2008 (Fri), 00:24
Well I just went Malibu.

Wow!. Incredible driving experience.

You may count me as one to buy American crap, but this crap is incredibly appealing. I like it a ton already.

Going to POTN meet tomorrow morning, so I will have the great chance to put some 500 miles during the weekend.

So far, very solid build, and very responsive powertrain. Smooth ride, quieter from outside noises than the Corolla.

Just based on my experience, as I am currently driving both.

More to come, if needed.

Thanks always for the great contributions.