PDA

View Full Version : river boat

les_au
21st of January 2005 (Fri), 21:06
been looking around this forum for a bit and though i would try out some of the artistic functions on my camera. it's a shame that the subject here has a modern engine not the old steam type. the boat that normally does this cruise is the real deal though

sparker1
23rd of January 2005 (Sun), 19:53
Why, that boat is going up hill!

les_au
23rd of January 2005 (Sun), 23:57
Why, that boat is going up hill!

it is not, i have noticed that too but it a case me going out for a "play" on the weekend and not setting up a tripod. silly photographer is not on flat ground.

Ed Rotberg
25th of January 2005 (Tue), 18:40
been looking around this forum for a bit and though i would try out some of the artistic functions on my camera. it's a shame that the subject here has a modern engine not the old steam type. the boat that normally does this cruise is the real deal though

There are only 5 river boats left in the US that still operate with authentic steam engines powering the paddles. One of them is the Julia Belle Swain which is now based out of La Corsse, WI, but Peoria was her home port back in the 70's when I lived back there. Many other riverboats that still run have been converted over to diesel power.

= Ed =

les_au
28th of January 2005 (Fri), 00:20
There are only 5 river boats left in the US that still operate with authentic steam engines powering the paddles. One of them is the Julia Belle Swain which is now based out of La Corsse, WI, but Peoria was her home port back in the 70's when I lived back there. Many other riverboats that still run have been converted over to diesel power.

= Ed =

This picture was take in Mildura, Australia, the boat that does this trip normally is the P.S melbourn and she is 100% steam powered. dunno how many more are still steam powered on the murray. it is run here as a bit of an attraction for the town

Ed Rotberg
28th of January 2005 (Fri), 00:27
This picture was take in Mildura, Australia, the boat that does this trip normally is the P.S melbourn and she is 100% steam powered. dunno how many more are still steam powered on the murray. it is run here as a bit of an attraction for the town

How cool! Didn't realize you were down under. I also didn't realize that you had steam powered river boats there.

Having stayed in the Grampians in '93 on our way from the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide, we came fairly close to Mildura. I thought the Grampians were incredibly beautiful, and we saw more wildlife there than any of the other places we visited in Australia.

= Ed =

les_au
28th of January 2005 (Fri), 18:44
yeah the grampians are a pretty nice part of the world, they are about 3.5 hours from there, spent a long weekend down there befor i bought the digital camera. will return at some stage