PDA

View Full Version : New to photography- need help!

robnights
25th of January 2005 (Tue), 11:59
Hey! This is my first post here, so forgive me for being naive and all new to photography.

Im at college at the moment and have relitavely little experience with photography. However, after college I am planning on going to Asia for 4 months and would love to take some really impressive photo's.

I am also thinking of becoming a freelance landscape photographer.

I just need to know the best type of camera for landscape photography, or at least the features that it should have. I also would prefer it to be digital due to the advantages of this technology.

And help will be great help!

Thanks!

Rob

poke
25th of January 2005 (Tue), 12:02
I guess you will need to know how big you want your landscapes to be blown up when printed... that will play a big part in how many mega pixels you need, which should give you some idea of where to start looking.

robnights
25th of January 2005 (Tue), 12:05
I'm not really looking at getting huge prints, so what sizes could these megapixels get upto while still being of a high quality?

Rob

poke
25th of January 2005 (Tue), 12:24
This thread may help...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32948

robnights
25th of January 2005 (Tue), 12:37
Ok, thankyou.

So, lets say, if I had 500 (i know, a small amount!) on a new digital camera, which would be used for landscapes, which camera would you choose?

poke
25th of January 2005 (Tue), 12:48
I would say a 300D rebel with some appropriate lenses... but I'm no expert... lets wait and see what some of the more seasoned photographers that hang around here have to say :)

tim
25th of January 2005 (Tue), 13:16
For 500 I think you'd have trouble getting even an entry level digital SLR like the 300D along with the other gear you need (memory cards, batteries, tripod, lenses). Double the budget and then you might be able to do something.

KevC
25th of January 2005 (Tue), 13:43
Methinks you should get an A95. Awesome camera!

tim
25th of January 2005 (Tue), 13:48
I have an A70, and it's a good P&S, but once you go DSLR you'll never go back. My A70 can print A4 size pics that look perfect, so the A95 should be able to go a little larger with no problems.

If I were buying a P&S now i'd probably get one of those small Canon ones, they might be called Ixus.

Caimin
26th of January 2005 (Wed), 10:52
If you're new to photography, you might want to consider starting with a less expensive camera (like the Canon A70) until you get the feel of things. You can get some great photos with a relatively simple camera. Buying a heavy duty camera straight away might mean a confusing and steep learning curve - one that deadens your intial enthusiasm.

lmelendez
26th of January 2005 (Wed), 12:27
Have you thought about a G2 or G3? They are P&S cameras (4MP) and they allow you to put the camera in manual mode (or Av/Tv). I had a G2 before my DSLR and it really helped me understanding some photography concepts (like DOF, aperture, focal length, etc).

I know you can get them very cheap now a days....

I would sell you my G2, but I still use it :)

Good luck!

tim
26th of January 2005 (Wed), 13:13
Travelling with a P&S would be much easier than travelling with a SLR and all the associated gear, but a SLR will give you better photos and/or more control, once you learn how to use it.

robertwgross
26th of January 2005 (Wed), 13:18
Anecdote:
There is a photographer I know who specializes in Yosemite National Park. He shoots mostly medium format film, and occasionally large format film. Last year he was attending some outdoor trade show in Chicago, and he was there as one of the representatives of a guide service, so he was helping to staff the exhibit booth. Around the booth, they had many of his posters of 30"x40" size. They had a lot of foot traffic in the booth, which is good. Right across the aisle, there was some South African safari company, and they did not have **** for traffic. They had one big wood carving sitting on an African carpet. Big deal. So, about halfway through the trade show, the safari manager comes over to ask questions about the guide service booth, and he wanted to know who was responsible for the outstanding photography which was the key to the booth appearance. The photographer explained that he was the photographer and explained something about his work. The safari manager was impressed, so he offered him a gig. Here was the deal: the photographer paid his own air ticket to South Africa. The safari guy furnished complimentary lodging and transportation for a month at his safari camps. The photographer went out with the staff and shot the guides in action, the lodging, the animals, the landscapes, the sunsets, etc., all in large format film. He turned over something like 200 of the best shots for an undisclosed price. Of course, the safari company had that made into their own posters, brochures, and post cards.

Wouldn't that make a nice gig?

---Bob Gross---

robnights
27th of January 2005 (Thu), 12:32
Thanks for your help. Ive been looking aroud like mad, and have seen the Kodak DX7590.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx7590-review/

Do you think this is any good for a beginner and will it give good quality photo's?

rob

Gus00
27th of January 2005 (Thu), 23:35
I highly, highly, highly, highly, highly recomend you take a photography class. I'm sure your college offers one though the art dept or journalism. If they offer both take the art.