PDA

View Full Version : Lowepro slingshot series - any experiences?

zetomenon
23rd of August 2008 (Sat), 13:25
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the Lowepro Slingshot 100AW.
The functions (as they appear on the video on the Lowepro site) suit the way I want to use a bag, as I want to be able to have it on my back, but easy to use.
I'm going for the small one because basically I only want to have a light kit with a body+lens and maybe two lenses with me (+batteries and cards) that can easily sit on my lap on public transport. I'll be leaving the charger and computer cables etc at home... Basically a tight compact way of getting round the city.

I've read a couple of reveiws that said it was good in design and function, but build quality was not good, mainly around the main shoulder strap and stitching.

I was wondering if anyone has used one?
Or if there are comparable bags that I could use instead (similar function and price)?;)

Lester Wareham
23rd of August 2008 (Sat), 14:41
I have the 200 and 300 and love them. You can take loads of stuff in the 300 because it has a load belt.

I can't speak about the 100 but the 200 and 300 seem as well made as any other of the lowepro bags I have.

It is difficult to advise you more without knowing what you intend to carry in it. For a body and two or three lenses a small shoulder bag would probably be enough. I sometimes use a Rizo 170 AW for a body and a couple of lenses; but it feels much heavier than twice as much or more in the SS200 does.

Some shots of my bags are here for you if that is any help http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/mybags.htm.

rral22
23rd of August 2008 (Sat), 14:45
I have one and use it.

It has proven to be exactly what it says it is, but it is just a little small at times. Not always, but ..... It seems solid, works in that you an swing it around and get access, but it is small, so I sometimes cram it full, and then it becomes a sort of "lump" on your back that is not great.

I use it mostly for things like a bike ride, or X-Country skiing where all I really want is to be able to carry a camera and lens, and maybe another lens. Then it works great. Good protection in some rough handling (including a couple of falls, skiing) and easy access if you want a shot.

But it's small. I think I would now have bought the 200.

bakatari
23rd of August 2008 (Sat), 14:57
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the Lowepro Slingshot 100AW.
The functions (as they appear on the video on the Lowepro site) suit the way I want to use a bag, as I want to be able to have it on my back, but easy to use.
I'm going for the small one because basically I only want to have a light kit with a body+lens and maybe two lenses with me (+batteries and cards) that can easily sit on my lap on public transport. I'll be leaving the charger and computer cables etc at home... Basically a tight compact way of getting round the city.

I've read a couple of reveiws that said it was good in design and function, but build quality was not good, mainly around the main shoulder strap and stitching.

I was wondering if anyone has used one?
Or if there are comparable bags that I could use instead (similar function and price)?;)

Will you have an opportunity to try it on in the store? The 100 is pretty small...not necessarily too small for the eqpt., but too small overall. I bought the 100 online, I returned it and got the 200. The 100 series held my eqpt. fine. It was was just too small for my body frame. It felt akward.

azpix
24th of August 2008 (Sun), 16:24
i've had the 100 and currently use the 200.
awesome bags.

I use it anytime i'm hiking or riding my quad.

ED-EX
24th of August 2008 (Sun), 18:33
I have the 100AW but wish I had purchased something a little bigger. It was my first bag and I love it but at times you need a little more. Looking for another one now also.

dfatty
25th of August 2008 (Mon), 00:02
I love my slingshot 100. I've only had it for about 6 weeks or so, but I haven't had any quality issues even though I've crammed it full of stuff. I usually carry the camera with a lens on it, and then 2 or 3 additional lenses.

Like others have said, I'm now considering the 200 for a little bigger size. But I plan to continue to use the 100 when I can, most of the time it's big enough.

Good luck on your choice.

Nick5
25th of August 2008 (Mon), 01:02
zeto.
I would suggest the 200 for the number of lenses you have currently.
You may add more equipment in the future. I also have the 200 and the 300 for additional space when needed.

bmwm3csl
25th of August 2008 (Mon), 01:30
I orginally purchased the 200 but returned it because it was too small for my tastes and have been using the 300 for over a year now.

ibdb
25th of August 2008 (Mon), 01:34
Which body and which lenses? It can make a significant difference.

I've had a 200 for more than 2 years, and for the most part, it's been great. I used it extensively with a 20D + 24-105 mounted, a 580EX, 70-200 f/4, and some combination of two other smaller lenses. That's probably more than I should carry in it, not for size, but for weight. After a long day of shooting and running around, the single shoulder strap can be uncomfortable. After a long weekend, it's particularly noticeable.

The Slingshot bags function best when they're not crammed full. You want to have room to access everything quickly, without a whole lot of juggling and shuffling other stuff around. Sure, you can cram more stuff into one, but then you lose the quick and easy convenience they provide.

I've looked at the 300 and, for me, that's too big for a bag of this style. The 200 seems about perfect, and the 100 could be a bit tight.

zetomenon
25th of August 2008 (Mon), 20:19
Thanks for your help, guys.

I'm probably going to go for the 100 to start because i need something light and compact to take on a plane, and my kit is small right now. Later when i need to (read: when I buy more lenses and toys) i'll get the larger one and have two bags to switch between depending on what I'm doing that day.

Cheers

ben_r_
25th of August 2008 (Mon), 20:54
I didnt really like them. Had the 300 and sold it. IMO is was too difficult to get the camera in and out "quickly" like they advertise. I perfer the Flipside backpacks more as I can access the entire bag contents without taking the bag off. I Currently have the flipside 400 AW but liked the 300 a lot too.

midnight_rider
25th of August 2008 (Mon), 21:13
I had the 200 and did not really like it. It was a great bag but I had to take it off to get to some of my lenses. I went to the lowepro flipside 300 and Love it.

Nick5
25th of August 2008 (Mon), 23:31
Midnight.
Don't you have to take off the Flipside to access the storage area?

ben_r_
25th of August 2008 (Mon), 23:54
Midnight.
Don't you have to take off the Flipside to access the storage area?
Nope, you just buckle the waist strap, rotate it around the to front of you, then you can easily unzip the back part of the bag and youre in with access to everything, not just one body and lens, but all your lenses in the bag.

This is the back of the bag (the part that touched your back while wearing it):

http://products.lowepro.com//CatalogImages/18-2083-IMG3L.jpeg

Lester Wareham
26th of August 2008 (Tue), 08:02
Nope, you just buckle the waist strap, rotate it around the to front of you, then you can easily unzip the back part of the bag and youre in with access to everything,...

I didn't know that, can't quite visualise how that works.

1. How do you get your arms out of the shoulder straps - loosen them?
2 How do you stop the whole thing flipping down - put your arms through the straps the wrong way round?

You got a picture of this in action.

zetomenon
26th of August 2008 (Tue), 09:40
Interesting... I might have a look at that. there are so many different concepts in bag design now days.

bakatari
26th of August 2008 (Tue), 09:45
I didn't know that, can't quite visualise how that works.

1. How do you get your arms out of the shoulder straps - loosen them?2 How do you stop the whole thing flipping down - put your arms through the straps the wrong way round?You got a picture of this in action.

http://vidego.productvideocast.com/player.php?p=yhauf73w

Lester Wareham
26th of August 2008 (Tue), 13:48
http://vidego.productvideocast.com/player.php?p=yhauf73w

Thanks. But I notice from the video they just show it being slid round on the belt, but then the video cuts to the bag on a table, so you never actually see the bag being accessed in that way.

No load belt I notice - that is a shame.

Hogster86
26th of August 2008 (Tue), 16:31
I had the 200 and did not really like it. It was a great bag but I had to take it off to get to some of my lenses. I went to the lowepro flipside 300 and Love it.
You took the words right out of my mouth! I had a Slingshot 200AW for a while but when I saw a fellow POTN'er using a Flipside 300 I was sold instantly! I absolutely love the Flipside, it's everything I want in a camera bag :)

Once you have rotated the bag around to your front, you unzip the back flap just as it was done in the video (when it was on the table). It's as if you've rested your bag on a table in front of you - it's great!

David :)

Katbird
26th of August 2008 (Tue), 17:12
I chose the 200 and I'm glad I did. Tis better to have a little extra room than not enough.
I also use the extra room as security for my wallet, cell phone,SD800 and other stuff us females usually tote around in our purses.

eelnoraa
26th of August 2008 (Tue), 21:09
I have had the 200 when it came out. At that time it sounds like a good idea. I used it for 6 monthes didn't like it. To me, it has some major design flaws:
1. You can only wear on right shoulder. This is major issue. It is only acceptable if the walk is short. Not a great bag for vacation or day-outting.
2. This bag is, relatively, bulky on the outside and SMALL on the inside. On the shoot, I carry 2 body with lens attached (30D+17-55IS, 40D+85f1.8), 2 flashes. This bag will NOT accomendate them while my stealth reporter 3 will) Not a good bag for the job.
3. Cannot fit xxD+70-200 mounted. You can force it, but it is not designed to fit this combo.
I sold this bag and use something else now.

Calicajun
27th of August 2008 (Wed), 02:43
I have a Slingshot 200AW look-a-like bag, it's my run around town and shoot bag. Doesn't carry as much as my Canon 200 backpack but is lighter and handier to carry around all day. Besides for a second bag from Sam's Club for only $40.00, it's nice to have a choice to match your bag to the shoot.

Lester Wareham
27th of August 2008 (Wed), 13:40
I have had the 200 when it came out. At that time it sounds like a good idea. I used it for 6 monthes didn't like it. To me, it has some major design flaws:
1. You can only wear on right shoulder. This is major issue. It is only acceptable if the walk is short. Not a great bag for vacation or day-outting.
2. This bag is, relatively, bulky on the outside and SMALL on the inside. On the shoot, I carry 2 body with lens attached (30D+17-55IS, 40D+85f1.8), 2 flashes. This bag will NOT accomendate them while my stealth reporter 3 will) Not a good bag for the job.
3. Cannot fit xxD+70-200 mounted. You can force it, but it is not designed to fit this combo.
I sold this bag and use something else now.

As I have said before the SS300 has a load belt which takes almost all of the weight, I can carry twice as much stuff in the 300 as the 200 and it feels lighter.

The fastpack looks interesting, but no load belt, I really don't want the weight on my shoulders.

Wonder what the chances are of a fastpack 350 with a load belt <rehtorical ?>