PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting flash strength on the Digital Rebel?

Booshanky
1st of February 2005 (Tue), 12:04
I've noticed that the built in flash on the digital rebel pretty much sucks ass. I'm not entirely sure whether it's just an insufficent flash or whether there's a way to adjust the strength of the flash like on the A series point n shoots.

If there's not, anyone know a way to get better exposed pictures using the onboard flash? I checked the flash sticky, but it didnt seem to have anything pertaining to the rebel.

Thanks

cmM
1st of February 2005 (Tue), 12:17
I've noticed that the built in flash on the digital rebel pretty much sucks ass.
LMAO!!!

You're right though, it's weak. Especially if you shoot wide angle, your built in flash won't be able to properly light up the entire frame in most cases.

I dont't know if you can set FEC on the built in flash with the hack, but if you do, that's a solution.... never tried though. I'd just get an external flash if I were you.

scottbergerphoto
1st of February 2005 (Tue), 12:54
The best work around is to buy a flash with its own controls like the 550EX or Sigma 500 DG Super.
Scott

kb244
1st of February 2005 (Tue), 15:12
Well if you get the hacked firmware on the digital rebel, you can hit the Jump button on the left to bring up FEC ( Flash Exposure Compensation ), to increase/decrease the flash intensity. FEC isnt provided on the Drebel from canon, gota get the hacked firmware.

But ya the onboard flash isnt very versitale, and usally best to have an external flash, preferably one that supports E-TTL.

Ogrt48
1st of February 2005 (Tue), 15:29
Cough hack rocks cough

tim
1st of February 2005 (Tue), 16:13
An external flash is a great investment, I highly recommend getting one.

leonid
1st of February 2005 (Tue), 16:31
I found Digital Rebel’s flash strength adequate. It has a guide number of 43 feet. If you are using your 50mm lens you can shot from up to 20 feet (7 meters) with f2.0 at ISO100.
The real problem is E-TTL, which often outsmarts itself by giving mostly underexposed shots. E-TTL “decides” about the strength of the flash based on the lightness of the tiny area in the middle of the frame. And there is no way you can manually set the flash strength like in A-series.
Try one of the following:
- Before taking a shot point the camera to a darker object and press FEL(Flash Exposure Lock) button (marked with *). Than recompose and take a shot. You can also use a palm of your hand to cover some light from the flash while pressing FEL button.
- Upgrade to the hacked firmware as it was suggested. You will get up to 2 f-stops up and down.

robertwgross
1st of February 2005 (Tue), 20:53
The best work around is to buy a flash with its own controls like the 550EX or Sigma 500 DG Super.

Agreed.

---Bob Gross---

robertwgross
1st of February 2005 (Tue), 20:58
I found Digital Rebel?s flash strength adequate. It has a guide number of 43 feet. If you are using your 50mm lens you can shot from up to 20 feet (7 meters) with f2.0 at ISO100.

The problem that a Guide Number of 13 is close to Zero when compared to a big external flash. Very few users of the Digital Rebel will ever have an f/2.0 aperture (with the possible exception of the f/1.8 50mm lens). So, as soon as we start talking about f/3.5 or worse, the flash range goes to hell.

---Bob Gross---

S230
2nd of February 2005 (Wed), 08:57
Install the HACK. After installing, I am now able to adjust the FEC and made a big difference. It was originally set at lowest setting and was awful. Now it's much better since I can adjust it.

pyterps
2nd of February 2005 (Wed), 09:24
What steps did you take to adjust the FEC?

DocFrankenstein
2nd of February 2005 (Wed), 11:10
What steps did you take to adjust the FEC?
1) Install hack
2) Pop up the flash
3) Press the "jump" button on the right
4) Rotate the wheel to adjust FEC from -2 to +2 stops.

Cheers

Mark_Cohran
2nd of February 2005 (Wed), 16:51
Even with the hack and FEC, you're still limited to the relatively low power output of the flash (and the lack of bounce and manual controls). You're really much better off acquiring a dedicated Speedlight flash such as the 420EX, 550EX or 580EX. (You'll need the EX series and not the EZ series for your digital camera).