PDA

View Full Version : Camera Clubs?

DerekRob
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 00:31
Hi everyone.

We have a camera club here in town but it's not actually what you would think it is.

Yeah they do deal with camera's but only on the software side.

And it was a bit boring.

My Question is How would I start a club that deals with camera's and on the hardware side?

Anke
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 00:50
You mean you just want to get together and talk about cameras or actually get out and take pictures?

Do you have some like-minded people in your neighbourhood?

DerekRob
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 00:53
You mean you just want to get together and talk about cameras or actually get out and take pictures?

Do you have some like-minded people in your neighbourhood?Yes that's pretty much it. and also willing to learn as they shoot like I'm doing now.

and even some field trips once everyone feels comfortable with each other of coarse.

FlyingPhotog
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 00:56
I'd be curious to know more about what you consider "the software side" Vs "the hardware side?"

Would you prefer a group that didn't shoot monthly themes or show prints?

JMO, but that's the fun of a photo group is to see how others interpret a common theme and to learn techniques and improve by seeing how others work.

I know my own abilities have improved immeasurably because I'm shooting subjects and trying techniques that I might otherwise never think to try.

As for starting a club of your own, just find two other folks who are of a similar mindset. I say two so that you have an odd number of members and don't get perpetual 50/50 splits when it comes to making decisions.

Good Luck...

Anke
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 00:56
There are lots of threads on POTN that cater for people local to you, have you tried jumping into your local one and asking about for one?
You don't say where you're from.

DerekRob
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:08
I'd be curious to know more about what you consider "the software side" Vs "the hardware side?"

Would you prefer a group that didn't shoot monthly themes or show prints?

JMO, but that's the fun of a photo group is to see how others interpret a common theme and to learn techniques and improve by seeing how others work.

I know my own abilities have improved immeasurably because I'm shooting subjects and trying techniques that I might otherwise never think to try.

As for starting a club of your own, just find two other folks who are of a similar mindset. I say two so that you have an odd number of members and don't get perpetual 50/50 splits when it comes to making decisions.

Good Luck...Software side means like adobe photoshop, jasco paint shop pro, adobe go live so and so on.

And what I mean by hardware side, Where members would play with other members camera's in a meeting "kind of like a show and tell" try before you buy type of thing, So that way you know what your kind of getting into when you go buy a lens and how well it performs before you buy it.

I went to 2 meetings and one gentleman was sleeping during the meeting and the others were talking amongst them self's when the main person was doing a photoshop demo.

The other meeting was shooting dogs and there was only 4 members who showed up including my self "it was fun for about 20 minutes" and then I got bored shooting dogs.

Also Anke, I live in Michigan and ""Potn"" seems to have a lot of mi members here which is pretty cool.

DerekRob
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 11:37
I would like to start a club where we would have weekly field trips and pick each members things he/she like to do.

Stocky
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 11:48
If you can't find anyone interested HERE (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80) then maybe you could try at a local camera shop. If they don't have something going already I am sure they would be happy to at least let you post fliers.

DerekRob
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 12:03
Stocky, Thanks for the Potn link

scorpio_e
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 15:58
Hi everyone.

We have a camera club here in town but it's not actually what you would think it is.

Yeah they do deal with camera's but only on the software side.

And it was a bit boring.

My Question is How would I start a club that deals with camera's and on the hardware side?

You can try setting up a meet up group at www.meetup.com

DerekRob
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 16:00
You can try setting up a meet up group at www.meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com)I've been in one of those meet up groups before and they were well let say we keep a clean tongue here and I'll never go to one of those groups again.

Lets say I want to stay with people who are intelligent and nice.

And I hope I'm not out of line here, if I am I apologize to anyone I offend.

scorpio_e
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 19:44
I've been in one of those meet up groups before and they were well let say we keep a clean tongue here and I'll never go to one of those groups again.

Lets say I want to stay with people who are intelligent and nice.

And I hope I'm not out of line here, if I am I apologize to anyone I offend.

I am sure there are good meet up groups and bad ones. I have never been to one just heard about them.

Personally I am not big on camera clubs. I think I might enjoy going to a monthly meetings but I shoot alone:) ...I am not into the group shooting at all..

Popular Photography is holding Digital Days..NYC is in October. I heard it is a great workshop.

DerekRob
5th of September 2008 (Fri), 20:40
I am sure there are good meet up groups and bad ones. I have never been to one just heard about them.

Personally I am not big on camera clubs. I think I might enjoy going to a monthly meetings but I shoot alone:) ...I am not into the group shooting at all..

Popular Photography is holding Digital Days..NYC is in October. I heard it is a great workshop.Thank you for the reply Scorpio but were going south for our vacation.