PDA

View Full Version : Question for Dell 2408 owners

jgrussell
10th of September 2008 (Wed), 11:23
With my old CRT monitor, I simply turned it off when I wasn't using it. Doing that with the new 2408 kills the USB ports and gives me a message about not properly exiting USB devices. How do you handle power management on your 2408? Is there a preferred method?

Specialized
18th of October 2008 (Sat), 21:54
Have you found a solution to this issue? I've now unplugged everything from my monitor and simply only use it for CF reads as it's too much of a hassle to have my keyboard plugged into it and wait for the monitor to boot and the computer to recognize the device and having to wait for everything to get ready before I can unlock/log in.

Pretty much the only bad thing about this monitor. Everything else is spectacular.

jgrussell
19th of October 2008 (Sun), 00:10
Have you found a solution to this issue? I've now unplugged everything from my monitor and simply only use it for CF reads as it's too much of a hassle to have my keyboard plugged into it and wait for the monitor to boot and the computer to recognize the device and having to wait for everything to get ready before I can unlock/log in. Pretty much the only bad thing about this monitor. Everything else is spectacular.Nope, no solution that I've found. So I just leave the thing on (letting it power down after a period of inactivity).

tbisaacs
19th of October 2008 (Sun), 12:49
Are you on Windows? I've never had this issue with my Mac (which is notorious for complaining about not properly ejecting removable discs).

jgrussell
19th of October 2008 (Sun), 13:56
Are you on Windows? I've never had this issue with my Mac (which is notorious for complaining about not properly ejecting removable discs).Yep, Windows.

OdiN1701
21st of October 2008 (Tue), 10:48
What version of windows?

Anything XP and beyond shouldn't give you that error message. And it should only do that if you have a data device plugged into the USB like an external drive or usb memory stick.

I turn off my Dell 3007WFP all the time and I never get any message.

jgrussell
21st of October 2008 (Tue), 23:06
What version of windows? Anything XP and beyond shouldn't give you that error message. And it should only do that if you have a data device plugged into the USB like an external drive or usb memory stick.
I turn off my Dell 3007WFP all the time and I never get any message.XP Pro, SP 3.

OdiN1701
22nd of October 2008 (Wed), 13:50
Do you have an old memory stick plugged in or something?

It's not the monitor causing this. It's something you have plugged into it.

Of course the power to the USB ports is going to go away if you turn off the power though - but it shouldn't cause any problems.

jgrussell
22nd of October 2008 (Wed), 17:12
The only thing I have plugged in is a Palm Pilot cradle, and that didn't cause these problems when I had it plugged into the computer.

OdiN1701
22nd of October 2008 (Wed), 17:18
The only thing I have plugged in is a Palm Pilot cradle, and that didn't cause these problems when I had it plugged into the computer.

That's because when you're turning off your monitor, your computer is still on, so of course the message wouldn't appear. And if you go into a sleep mode, there is some power still being applied to things like USB ports - else how will a USB mouse or keyboard wake up the computer?

It wouldn't surprise me if that cradle was the culprit - how old is that Palm? If it's pretty old it doesn't surprise me that it isn't up to the current USB standard.

stillresonance
22nd of October 2008 (Wed), 17:22
Just use power management to turn off the monitor after a certain period of inactivity. The monitor will go into sleep mode but doesn't cut power to the internal usb hub like it does when you manually power it off.

jgrussell
22nd of October 2008 (Wed), 17:22
Nope, nope. What I meant was, I didn't have to eject the cradle when it was connected to a USB port from the computer.

jgrussell
22nd of October 2008 (Wed), 17:23
Just use power management to turn off the monitor after a certain period of inactivity. The monitor will go into sleep mode but doesn't cut power to the internal usb hub like it does when you manually power it off.Thanks, that's what I figured and what I'm doing now.

OdiN1701
22nd of October 2008 (Wed), 20:12
Nope, nope. What I meant was, I didn't have to eject the cradle when it was connected to a USB port from the computer.

Right.

See previous post where I already explained why.