PDA

View Full Version : Google loves POTN!

tim
11th of September 2008 (Thu), 03:31
Check out this thread (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6284971). Someone asked a question about 540EZ cycle time, I replied 20 minutes later. About two hours after the original thread I googled "540EZ cycle time" and the thread came up, with the excerpt being the text I wrote.

Holy crap! Google must be constantly crawling POTN! And it likes me! :p

ofdphoto
11th of September 2008 (Thu), 05:29
At least somebody likes you, Tim.

:p

tim
11th of September 2008 (Thu), 05:40
Luke just bitter beacuse we got a divorce.

ofdphoto
11th of September 2008 (Thu), 05:42
Luke just bitter beacuse we got a divorce.
It was only because of the rum, which you're obviously still drinking, Timmy!

tim
11th of September 2008 (Thu), 05:51
Nope, haven't touched a drop of alcohol since last weekend.

Tommy
11th of September 2008 (Thu), 07:30
Are you sure google really likes you tim? I think maybe it's just putting up with you and your 28,000+ posts because it has to... lol! ;)

Bobster
11th of September 2008 (Thu), 07:40
Nope, haven't touched a drop of alcohol since last weekend.
explains why your so damn cranky! :p

Mark0159
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 03:58
your lagging in your post count there Tim :P

(talk about changing topics)

Mike-DT6
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 08:05
I've noticed that too. Google must index threads in here very quickly.

Mike

:-)

_aravena
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 22:26
Ask almost any camera question and Google dishes out tons of POTN threads. If people can't search here they certainly can on Google. SO NO MORE EXCUSES!!!

:D

MegaTron
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 02:23
Yea, funny, I was actually doing a search about an RSS plate, to see if the 20D and thd 30D one is the same one, and my FS thread actually came up as the first hit.

pradeep1
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 01:49
POTN seems to be a very definitive (read, highly linked) source of information regarding Canon digital photography. When a camera question pops up, I usually just search POTN and don't even bother with google unless the question extends to other equipment.

DunnoWhen
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 06:31
Ask almost any camera question and Google dishes out tons of POTN threads. If people can't search here they certainly can on Google. SO NO MORE EXCUSES!!!

:D

But what's the point of....
* doing a google search and finding nothing relevant
* raise a question here, without a successful resolution
* execute another google search only to have you own POTN question returned at the first item?:) :( :rolleyes:

Just give me a blank sheet of paper with "PTO" written in the bottom right hand corner of each side. It will keep me busy for hours.:confused:

tim
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 03:37
If you google "wedding workflow" a thread I wrote is third, and with the appropriate query my ACR FAQ is about 14th. You don't even want to know what happens when you google "enlargement faq" though ;)

cdifoto
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 03:39
Google works better for POTN searches than POTN Search does. :D

S-S
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 03:41
...Just give me a blank sheet of paper with "PTO" written in the bottom right hand corner of each side. It will keep me busy for hours.:confused:

here's one that will mess with you then: instead of PTO, write "the information on the other side of this page is incorrect" on both sides :p

Pekka
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 08:19
If you want to use Google to search POTN, use this format in Google:

duck portrait site:photography-on-the.net/forum

i.e.

KEYWORDS site:photography-on-the.net/forum

This limits results to pages found in POTN only.

To search phrases use quotes

"85 f/1.2" site:photography-on-the.net/forum

thomascanty
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 08:45
If you want to use Google to search POTN, use this format in Google:

duck portrait site:photography-on-the.net/forum

i.e.

KEYWORDS site:photography-on-the.net/forum

This limits results to pages found in POTN only.

The links Google provides point to the specific page the results were found on. If your control panel is not set to "Forum default", you won't find what you're looking for. If you have a custom number of posts per page defined via your Control Panel->Options page, before using Google to search POTN change the page size back to "Forum default". Now do the search. You can switch back to a custom page size after you've found what you're looking for.