PDA

View Full Version : Golden Fly

robonrome
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 06:41
Hi All,

I snapped this Golden Fly last weekend. I used a 580exII speedlite, but without any diffusing.

I've just got hold of a slip on diffuser so hopefully that will help take some of the sting out of my flash, at least till I get a proper softbox setup.:)

comments criticism welcome.

cheers,

rob

hobbes2112
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 13:44
Looks great, I don't think the "sharp" flash takes too much away from your shot. Maybe for the couple of spots on the thorax you could just soften it in photo software?

Desertraptor
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 14:14
Nice

robonrome
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 16:40
Thanks Guys:)

troypiggo
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 17:26
Welcome to POTN!

Great capture. Heaps of those flies near me (Brisbane). Where are you?

If you're looking for cheap and simple diffuser options, I've been using the Lumiquest Softbox[1] and it's very nice. What I like about it is it folds up flat to carry in bag, and with your 100mm lens you probably don't even need to have the flash off-camera - because the softbox is out in front of flash, it gets over the lens for close shots.

[1] Don't get the Softbox II - it's not meant for speedlights, even though the "II" makes it sound like it's a newer model of the Softbox.

robonrome
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 19:26
Welcome to POTN!

Great capture. Heaps of those flies near me (Brisbane). Where are you?

If you're looking for cheap and simple diffuser options, I've been using the Lumiquest Softbox[1] and it's very nice. What I like about it is it folds up flat to carry in bag, and with your 100mm lens you probably don't even need to have the flash off-camera - because the softbox is out in front of flash, it gets over the lens for close shots.

[1] Don't get the Softbox II - it's not meant for speedlights, even though the "II" makes it sound like it's a newer model of the Softbox.

Thanks Troy, small world, yes we've seen and no doubt shot the same flies. I'm from Bris-vegas too;)

Thanks for the tip on the Lumiquest Softbox. I'll definitely check that out.

cheers,

LordV
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 01:06
Good one :)
I recently did a test shot of a similar fly with and without diffuser- will post it later.
Brian V.