PDA

View Full Version : Some changes coming

Pages : [1] 2

Pekka
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 11:14
In imminent future POTN will have a forum structure change which should be status quo for next few years. That is why the changes are somewhat bigger than we have done in previous facelifts. Reason for these changes are honoring member needs and wishes, support specific photography genre discussion (which act as easy to find source of knowledge in that area), and in share forums to make it easier to find where to post.

Here's the new deal:

Lens forum will have a new sub-forum where all lens archive threads (member submitted demo photos) will be moved, and renamed so that you get an easy to find list of all EF/EF-S lenses.

Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Everything about lenses for Canon digital EOS system.
Sub-Forums: Lens Sample Photo Archive

News forum will be added. Rumors forums will be moved as sub-forum to that.

Photography Industry News
What is going on in world of photography. News and discussing the news.
Sub-Forums: Rumors

Talk About Photography forum will be made to a collection of topic forums, each share forum will have corresponding talk forum so that we'll get a nice collection of specialized info on specific shooting genres. The current "Talk About Photography" forum will be renamed to "General Photography Talk" and put with other sub-forums, so the new "Talk About Photography" will be only a forum container (not a forum per se).

Talk About Photography
Sub-Forums: General Photography Talk, People Talk, Kids & Pets Talk, Performing Arts Talk, Wedding and Other Family Events Talk, Glamour & Nude Talk, Sports Talk, Motorsports Talk, Birds Talk, Wildlife Talk, Nature & Landscapes Talk, Transportation Talk, Urban Life & Travel Talk, Astronomy & Celestial Talk, Macro Talk, Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk, Competitions Talk

HDR sub-forum will be added under "RAW, Post Processing and Printing" forum.

RAW, Post Processing and Printing
All that you do after you shoot the images. Share your knowledge and tips on how to process your digital negatives to the extreme and how to produce those great looking prints. Discuss color management, printers, inks and papers. Use this forum also for computer hardware and backup system discussions.
Sub-Forums: HDR

Digital Video forum will be added.

Digital Video
Digital video recording is integral part of digital cameras. How to make better videos, how to edit, fix and present them.

Photo Sharing -section will have some new forums that has been wished for a long time, and some forums are merged and moved to make it more clear for the members where to post that photo.

People
Kids & Pets
Performing Arts
Wedding and Other Family Events
Glamour & Nude
Sports
Motorsports
Birds
Wildlife
Nature & Landscapes
Transportation
Urban Life & Travel
Astronomy & Celestial
Macro
Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Competitions

Each forum above will have a virtual sub-forum to corresponding Talk forum, so that it is easy to jump there and find it.

Then we will have a forum for all the collected info you need how to use POTN, and most useful informative threads. This will be maintained by mods, so you can not post there.

Forum FAQ - READ HERE FIRST (read only)
What is this forum all about? How do I post, browse and make the most out of it?

Exhibit Engine section will not be visible on front page any more, it will be accessible only with direct URL http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93.

Also, order of main sections will be changed so that discussion forums are grouped closer together:

'Equipment Talk' section
'Sharing Knowhow' section
'Photo Sharing' section
'Marketplace' section
'Forum Feedback' section

We reserve the right to do changes to above plan :)

Pekka
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 12:28
up.

Jamie Holladay
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 13:15
exciting news.

shameless bump

DDA
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 13:21
Exciting news!

Will you put a link to EE forum in the FAQ section? (to allow people who forgot to bookmark the link to find it...)

TheGreatOg
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 13:22
Could you make this post a sticky until the changes occur Pekka? Everything sounds very exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all lays out. Thanks for all of your hard work and commitment to POTN's continued excellence.

Miniflash
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 13:22
Darn I was so hoping you would one day add a blk and white forum :)

Becky N
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 13:27
Good news, Pekka. Nice to know we can change as the community grows and new specializations emerge.

Pekka
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 13:36
Could you make this post a sticky until the changes occur Pekka? Everything sounds very exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all lays out. Thanks for all of your hard work and commitment to POTN's continued excellence.

I made it a global announcement (well, not global, but...). :)

Thanks!

sadatk
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 13:38
No Nikon subforum? :(

equetefue
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 13:41
Excellent !! can't wait

FocalPrincess
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 13:46
Those sound awesome! Thanks for doing all you've done to make this a great resource!

Pekka
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 13:56
No Nikon subforum? :(

There has been lot of internal discussion about adding other brand(s) to this forum, but the bottom line is there are tons of very good reasons against it. I can share the reasons later, but don't despair. There is another plan...

T.D.
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 14:40
There has been lot of internal discussion about adding other brand(s) to this forum, but the bottom line is there are tons of very good reasons against it. I can share the reasons later, but don't despair. There is another plan...

Ooooh, foreshadowing! Nice job, boss! :)

Tessa
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 14:45
Great news, thanks! :)

300Dplus
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 16:34
Nice structural and layout changes...anticipation feels good!
Keepping with the future and its vision for it is in the core of good leadership, and it is appreciated.
One more reason to have my daily dose of POTN for another 4 years:).

Thank you Pekka and Moderators.

masayako
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 17:29
Very good news.

BMS Studios
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 17:45
Looks great - - - -

tiktaalik
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 18:06
Kids and Pets? That's a bit of a strange grouping to me. If the wildlife section doesn't want pets then
I can understand putting in a separate pet section but to add kids into it kind of kills it for me.

:(

gary88
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 18:22
Sounds great!

Might I suggest a name change from General Chat to The POTN Lounge? (sounds classy;))

Jeff
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 18:51
Hooraay for the astro section...THANKS!

sixsixfour
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 18:54
Kids and Pets sounds like a Canon Powershot mode to me :D

nice!

Pekka
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 18:59
Kids and Pets? That's a bit of a strange grouping to me. If the wildlife section doesn't want pets then
I can understand putting in a separate pet section but to add kids into it kind of kills it for me.

"Kids and Pets" forum would be a source of satisfaction for those looking cuddly and cute vibes - don't you think kids and pets photos are both about maximum impact on cutieness (or whatever that word is)? :)

There was a thought of having "Family and Kids" forum, which would then be yet another one - if that + "Pets" is more suitable for members and more clear to all then that we will have. I think "People" forum and "Weddings and Other Family Events" should be ok for family photos, too - most of the complaints in People have been about kid photos and it seems to preferred to be more like a portrait forum.

Please give some opinions on this. Now is the time.

Pekka
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:00
Sounds great!

Might I suggest a name change from General Chat to The POTN Lounge? (sounds classy;))

Not a bad idea at all :)

tiktaalik
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:04
"Kids and Pets" forum would be a source of satisfaction for those looking cuddly and cute vibes - don't you think kids and pets photos are both about maximum impact on cutieness (or whatever that word is)? :)

Actually, I don't. Really. I like pet pictures but find kids about the bottom of the cuteness scale.

A thread with a title like "New family member" in a pets section would definitely mean puppy or kitten. In the kids section it would mean a new baby. But in a pets & kids section it could mean anything.

canonloader
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:04
Great, an HDR forum. Very good choice, as HDR is now spread all over the place. Thanks. :)

Pekka
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:07
Actually, I don't. Really. I like pet pictures but find kids about the bottom of the cuteness level.
:D:D

manutd101
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:09
Great news, it seems change is in the air, what with the 5D, 50D, and now POTN! I don't, however, understand the Kids + Pets grouping. Seems like it would make more sense to seperate those two...but I'm not sure.

Pekka
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:11
Great news, it seems change is in the air, what with the 5D, 50D, and now POTN! I don't, however, understand the Kids + Pets grouping. Seems like it would make more sense to seperate those two...but I'm not sure.

I start to feel the same way.. :p

tiktaalik
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:13
Pekka, please let those of us who get all gooshy over furry babies with tails and fangs have a place of our own away from those immature H. sapiens....

John_B
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:19
Count me in for a vote toward making the Kids and Pets separate.

Dusty
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:26
Thank you Pekka once again for the astronomy and celestial section.

This place is awesome.
:)

FlyingPhotog
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:34
Any chance of creating "sub groups" in the Buy/Sell Forums to divide by specifics:
- Bodies, Lenses, Accessories, Lighting, etc...?

manutd101
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:38
Any chance of creating "sub groups" in the Buy/Sell Forums to divide by specifics:
Not a bad idea that! :)

20droger
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 20:21
Sounds great!

And this general I know, Charles Chat, would appreciate it.

Tdragone
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 20:33
An HDR forum to learn how others are making these creations; and a celestial forum to oogle over pix made with equipment I don't have?

AWESOME

Thanks to ALL mods for their continued efforts in making this forum the community it is.

In2Photos
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 20:45
Should we be discussing this is the rumors section? ;) :lol:

CyberDyneSystems
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 20:46
These will be very nice changes! Can't wait :)

Mark0159
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 21:06
woohoo it sounds exciting. look forward to seeing the new layout

Pekka
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 21:26

When the traffic gets higher we might do that. But not now.

Splitting EOS Camera forum to specific models: I prefer to keep all EOS cameras in one place because they are quite similar and all share the know-how regardless of wallet size. If traffic gets higher we might need the split, but not in near future.

dave kadolph
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 21:34
Looking forward to the changes--and future growth!

Jim G
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 21:36
I like that the lens archives have their own spot now. Very helpful!

FlyingPhotog
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 21:38

Splitting EOS Camera forum to specific models: I prefer to keep all EOS cameras in one place because they are quite similar and all share the know-how regardless of wallet size. If traffic gets higher we might need the split, but not in near future.

Fair enough Boss...

Looking forward to the changes.

FP

zacker
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 21:42
awesome...

cant wait to see what shows up in the HDR section... maybe there wont be so much HDR trashing there as the haters wouldnt go there to look at stuff they know they will hate?

Boucher
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 21:58
I'm looking forward to the HDR forum even though I'm using it less and less these days. I am also subtly looking forward to the video section.

Love your works Mods!

LeesaB
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 23:22
This looks new and exciting. can't wait...

Anke
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 23:24
Brilliant news, Pekka. Thanks. Thanks for the Wildlife Forum especially, that will be fantastic!! :) :)

renderwerks
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 00:03
Thanks Pekka, especially the astro forum as I'm just getting into that.

Anke
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 00:54
When do these changes happen, or did I miss that?

SteveBrown
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:34
Can we have a general chat about anything and everything, kinda like a shooting the bull forum? We could post jokes, YouTube videos, and other miscellaneous stuff "not" associated with photography where we can just chit chat?

Lester Wareham
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 02:33

Makes sense to me, pets are part of the family imho. We take shots of most pets for similar reasons we take shots of kids, look cute, being silly, being exuberant.

One size never fit all, but it seems a more natural grouping than previously.

However if your pet is a tiger then I can see room for confusion. :)

S-S
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 02:37
another vote from me to separate kids & pets

i shoot both and love both but dont want to see them in the same place - they are very different, like houses & cars

DDA
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 02:46
I'd separate kids&pets as well...

Mark0159
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 03:26
good thing you 2 aren't running the show are you :p

weka2000
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:05
good thing you 2 aren't running the show are you :p
ROTFLMAO :lol:

So can we have a hint to the changes :rolleyes:

Pekka you getting in enough to keep this show on the road. Growth mean more Server gear and bandwith and money dont grow on trees ........ well not legally.

The title fairy could generate a lot ........buy your own title :)

::John::
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:07
Read the first post ;)

weka2000
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:10
Read the first post ;)

Woops was on page 3 :o
I just clicked Pekka's link :)

Anke
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 05:00
What happens to the threads currently in Nature and Landscapes for instance, how do they get split up into the new sections? Does someone have to go through and sort them?

Pekka
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 05:44
What happens to the threads currently in Nature and Landscapes for instance, how do they get split up into the new sections? Does someone have to go through and sort them?

Mods will gradually move them to correct places.

Michael
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 06:19
Changes sound good. Thanks for the continuing development Pekka!!

PiRho
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 06:28
OOOOOooooooo :D LOL gonna have to tell my Noink buddy about this.... errrr rumor :)

Should we be discussing this is the rumors section? ;) :lol:

well your wish is my command :)
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6356478#post6356478

Anke
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 06:29
Mods will gradually move them to correct places.

Ouch. That's a herculean task. Good luck Mods :)

::John::
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 06:43

;) Thanks

Franko515
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 07:00
Changes sounds great, sounds to be more orginized and eaisly navigated.

Does it have weather sealing though :confused: If not I may swith to the Nikon Cafe :p

tiktaalik
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 07:00
Makes sense to me, pets are part of the family imho. We take shots of most pets for similar reasons we take shots of kids, look cute, being silly, being exuberant.

To be blunt, I have no interest in wading through a bunch of kid photos in order to see the pet photos. I would not be surprised if (1) I'm not the only one and (2) there are those with similar opinions with respect to pet pictures. I'll probably avoid a "kids & pets" area as much as I do a "kids" or "people" area.

canonloader
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 07:21
Julie, I felt the same way about pet photos when visiting the Nature and Animals forum.

Any idea of a time frame for the changes? I can't wait to see the HDR forum blossom. :)

Also, I want to see what a subforum of another forum looks like. I don't believe there are any as yet, are there?

zacker
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 07:26
How about you add a few new words to the bad word filter.
Nikon
D3
D300
Vs.
D80
D200

;)

zacker
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 07:28
To be blunt, I have no interest in wading through a bunch of kid photos in order to see the pet photos. I would not be surprised if (1) I'm not the only one and (2) there are those with similar opinions with respect to pet pictures. I'll probably avoid a "kids & pets" area as much as I do a "kids" or "people" area.

I.... Um, feel the same way.:o

kevin_c
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 10:17
How about you add a few new words to the bad word filter.
Nikon
D3
D300
Vs.
D80
D200

;)

You missed out 'D700' ;)

Sounds like some good changes to me :D

Anke
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 10:45
Also, I want to see what a subforum of another forum looks like. I don't believe there are any as yet, are there?

Might it look a bit like the Rumours Section (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82)?

HarrisonClicks
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 12:03
I will throw this out there for consideration.... Would you consider an "Emergency Services" sub-forum for photo sharing, given the many threads for 'emergency services action photography' such as fires, accidents, etc. There are many threads on this subject and having them all grouped together would be a neat idea for consideration while on the topic of restructuring.

PiRho
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 12:05
I will throw this out there for consideration.... Would you consider an "Emergency Services" sub-forum for photo sharing, given the many threads for 'emergency services action photography' such as fires, accidents, etc. There are many threads on this subject and having them all grouped together would be a neat idea for consideration while on the topic of restructuring.

interesting... I had never seen a post on this before... now I have to go searching some up :) I have shot a couple wrecks... and I would be interested in seeing what others have done.

HarrisonClicks
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 12:59
interesting... I had never seen a post on this before... now I have to go searching some up :) I have shot a couple wrecks... and I would be interested in seeing what others have done.

Most of it is under Urban Life right now.

sevillafox
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 14:43
Cool beans. Now I don't have to search through all those pesky model pics to get to the kids. ;) (jk)

shannyD
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 14:46
what about the G&N section? have an amature side and a pro side? just a thought.

ben_r_
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 14:53
Very cool! Im liking the sound of those changes! Soooooo, with all those new sections, you guys gonna need a new mod?? Hint hint! ;)

In2Photos
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 15:07
Very cool! Im liking the sound of those changes! Soooooo, with all those new sections, you guys gonna need a new mod?? Hint hint! ;)
Nope. Pekka has also discovered how to clone mods in warp speed. They are behind the scenes reading up right now.

tonylong
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 15:16
Not meaning to start a debate:), but how about in the gear forum dedicated sections to third part lenses and, well, third party bodies? I may help those of use who are looking to discuss Canon gear avoid falling into the various Canon vs. the rest of the world traps!

PiRho
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 15:24
Nope. Pekka has also discovered how to clone mods in warp speed. They are behind the scenes reading up right now.

W00T! that is so cool! just make sure he doesn't clone the TF :confused: it was more fun when there were only a few custom titles! :(

DigitalSoCal
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 19:38
def. looking forward to the new layout, and the astro section especially

Pekka
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 20:38
W00T! that is so cool! just make sure he doesn't clone the TF :confused: it was more fun when there were only a few custom titles! :(

Don't despair. Cloning needs pint of blood and TF is just vapor with bad breath. :)

johnstoy
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 20:53
The *Wildlife* and *Nature & Landscapes* split, will be real interesting too... I'm looking forward to sharing several dozen new photos from this past summer... and hopefully, we'll see lots of participation and comments in both sections... Cheers to the newest format.

MDJAK
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 22:19
Ooooh, foreshadowing! Nice job, boss! :)

Sheesh, he becomes a mod and no longer speaks english. :lol:

Changes meet with my approval. ;)
me

Belmondo
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 22:24
Don't despair. Cloning needs pint of blood and TF is just vapor with bad breath. :)

I can attest to the bad breath.:rolleyes::lol:

In2Photos
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 22:38
Then why did I have to give a gallon? And to boot I got stuck 4 times with the needle! :(

T.D.
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 22:39
Sheesh, he becomes a mod and no longer speaks english. :lol:

Changes meet with my approval. ;)
me

The Doc's seal of approval. At last!! :D

:rolleyes::p

3Turner
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 22:41

I can attest to the bad breath.:rolleyes::lol:
:lol::lol: funny how the only two making fun of the TF...can...without consequence. :lol:

Oh, and Pekka....I like the forecoming changes....the kids and pets forum is okay with me....my pets are like kids to me. :D.

weka2000
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 22:57
:lol::lol: funny how the only two making fun of the TF...can...without consequence. :lol:.

Maybe they have something on the TF :lol:

3Turner
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 23:04
Maybe they have something on the TF :lol:
:lol: That can be the only explaination.

SacMac
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 03:27
The changes look great Pekka. Thanks to you and all involved for all your work to make this a great place to visit several times a day :D

The_Camera_Poser
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 05:54
The nature and landscapes section will be excellent. I have longed for one.

You guys really must put in amazing amount of effort with this forum. Thank you so much!

_aravena
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 12:15

Like FM should do. Man they are unorganized. These all look great! I can't wait!

Kiddo
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 12:25
That's great!! Can't wait to see all the new changes...

garryknight
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 15:27
I agree with separating the kids and pets section. I just want to see which section photos of young goats are posted to... :)

Pete
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 15:35

I'm ready for the job... Moving crap is what I'm good at... :D

12mnkys
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 15:49
looking forward to seeing the changes...this forum community ROCKS! Thanks all!

SoaringUSAEagle
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 15:54
Are any themes going to be added so we can spice up POTN a bit?

Mark0159
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 16:36

I wouldn't mind that myself.

PiRho
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 18:18

I wouldn't mind that myself.

I think that you will find, that if you post a whole lot of a certain theme which is not currently on POTN that the powers that be will make a specific place for that theme to exist. asking for a random theme where little interest has been already shown to exist is rather silly.

however if it is up to voting :) I would say a theme of 'random' would be at the top of my list :D

SlowBlink
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 18:27
Sounds good to me. Is my new title ready yet? :confused:

Mark0159
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 19:31
I think that you will find, that if you post a whole lot of a certain theme which is not currently on POTN that the powers that be will make a specific place for that theme to exist. asking for a random theme where little interest has been already shown to exist is rather silly.

however if it is up to voting :) I would say a theme of 'random' would be at the top of my list :D

I don't wont a random theme, but I wouldn't mind selecting a different colour. Say a black version. which can be helpful when editing photos.

tim
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 19:46
Sounds like more dilution of forums, but I guess it needs to be done when forums grow. Glad to see RAW, lighting, and pro forums are staying about the same (if I read correctly) as they're the ones I visit.

Optional themes would be ok, but remember many people browse at work so it's good to keep the default pretty inconspicuous.

Pekka
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 21:25
Sounds like more dilution of forums, but I guess it needs to be done when forums grow. Glad to see RAW, lighting, and pro forums are staying about the same (if I read correctly) as they're the ones I visit.

Optional themes would be ok, but remember many people browse at work so it's good to keep the default pretty inconspicuous.

I would prefer to give option to some additional themes, but without changing the default look too much. If you have suggestions I'm all ears and happy to see them, but please understand I can not guarantee anything is used online.

tim
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 21:40
I think the forum looks fine, no need to change anything.

weka2000
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 22:16

Seconded. It is clean easy to read as it is.

JWright
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 00:37
As long as you're making changes, how about creating a cars sub-forum in Transportation? The stuff that isn't cars seems to get lost in there...

Maureen Souza
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 00:43
I think we have enough spice around here..... I have to deal with In2Photos (Mike) TD (Chris) and Pete as it is. ;);)

S-S
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 01:26
oh, the spice girls :lol:

*gets banned*

martook
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 02:46
I agree with separating the kids and pets section. I just want to see which section photos of young goats are posted to... :)

OMG, what a sheep joke :rolleyes:

mods: please don't ban me!

curiousgeorge
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 05:15
Great idea to have a Wildlife forum finally.

PiRho
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 08:27
I don't wont a random theme, but I wouldn't mind selecting a different colour. Say a black version. which can be helpful when editing photos.
oh :oops: sorry I wasn't thinking of 'theme' as in selectable style sheets... LOL that would be fine, but I really don't see it as necissary! this forum is not for your gallery it is for C&C and some fun! the very usable unabtrusive colors that the forum already uses are fine with me.

ditto!

if folks need to see a pic on a black background then they can get permission from the copyright holder download it and put it on a black background!

just my two cents.

In2Photos
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 08:31
I think we have enough spice around here..... I have to deal with In2Photos (Mike) TD (Chris) and Pete as it is. ;);)
:evil:
Thanks Mo! I can't believe you would put me in the same category as those two!
oh, the spice girls :lol:

*gets banned*
<finger hovering above ban button>

Watch it missy! :evil:

</finger hovering above ban button>

canonloader
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 08:43
OMG, what a sheep joke :rolleyes:

mods: please don't ban me!
First thing that entered my mind also. ;)

tiktaalik
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 09:59
I see a separate Pets area without the kids - thanks so much :) :) :)

Thomas Hopkins
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:02
Wow. I don't get to post a lot but 99% of my time online is spent on POTN and the new changes are great! Thanks for making this a great place!

Mike
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:10
I'm lost :shock:

Gonna have to have an explore...looks good chaps and chapesses! :D

S.E.V.
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:11
Very nice I was wondering when this would arrive on this forum, already been using a layout like this on the vw forum for a while now. Nice addition, seperate and simplify things. Goos job.

Sevan

canonloader
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:11
Thanks all you mods and people who worked so hard for this. It's up and running, and even before I could ask when it would be up and running. :lol:

PiRho
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:13
W00T! Pekka and his minions errrr mods are the Greatest! I'm gonna have to donate to make sure this place stays! :D

M5Man
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:19
Pekka and the team the changes look good ;)

Thanks for making an excellent site even better :)

Keep up the good work Guys and Girls

_aravena
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:30
Wow, just noticed the changes! :lol: Nice!

There's so much more but somehow still retains, if not better, organization.

Mike
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:31
I like the change to the lens forum with all the archive threads in one place. Makes for easier reading.

tsw910
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:34
dig the new format !! great work

HoRnYTuRbO
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:40
looks good to me =)

Anke
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:44
I love the way the sections have a discuss sub-forum. Brilliant idea! :)

bacchanal
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:45
Pekka, I love the new forum structure. Thanks for continuing to maintain and improve POTN.

_aravena
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:48
Question: I guess all related threads to the new categories will remain where they are.

OdiN1701
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:57
I think it makes the views more cluttered.

Like clicking on the Sharing Knowhow forum lists not only the talk about photography but all the subforums in the list making it a mess.

GPR1
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:58
I like it, and I'm very grateful to Pekka and the mods for a great resource.

PhotosGuy
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 11:06
I don't, however, understand the Kids + Pets grouping. Seems like it would make more sense to separate those two...but I'm not sure. For some people, their pest take the place of kids, so I vote to keep them together.

Oh, http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/smilies/rotfl2.gif Freudian typo? "their pest take the place of kids"
(Leno would approve!)

I don't think I can get behind splitting up "Talk about photography" into subgroups. I know I won't be visiting all those subforums on a daily basis.

SoaringUSAEagle
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 11:13
The changes are going to take some time to get used to but it definitely looks good.

And as far as the themes go.... I didnt mean to change the default theme at all. I was just mentioning the addition of themes where users can select one they like - say 3-5 additional themes?

tiktaalik
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 11:14
For some people, their pest take the place of kids, so I vote to keep them together.

But a lot of us pet lovers don't want to wade through a bunch of kid photos in order to see the pets. ;)

I don't think I can get behind splitting up "Talk about photography" into subgroups. I know I won't be visiting all those subforums on a daily basis.
I agree. I think participation in those subforums will be low.

_aravena
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 11:43
^True but if people title their threads properly won't be too bad.

I wonder about the subgroups. They will be low but I guess it keeps the non picture threads out of picture forums. I noticed more and more people asking advice in the proper area of photos, yet those were suppose to be for photos. Navigating through "Talk About Photography" seemed a bit much. So even if it's not used much at least it's there to help.

Belmondo
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 12:08
^True but if people title their threads properly won't be too bad.

That is so true. It would resolve so much confusion if people add a word or two about the subject of their photo. Snappy titles are entertaining, but if they don't give a clue as to what is in the image, and a lot of people might just skip over it.

_aravena
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 12:09
^Doesn't matter, seems that Pekka already changed it.

Belmondo
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 12:14
That is so true. It would resolve so much confusion if people add a word or two about the subject of their photo. Snappy titles are entertaining, but if they don't give a clue as to what is in the image, and a lot of people might just skip over it.

Regardless of what Pekka does, it is always a good idea to give a thread a clear title that give at least a clue as to what's contained in it.

Mike
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 12:19
I always read the preview of a thread to get a jist of what it's about - the one you get when you hover your mouse over the thread title. It annoys me when I see the lines "I don't know if this is in the right place but..." in this snippet as I still don't know what the thread is about! :rolleyes:

AndreaBFS
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 15:04
As usual, I'm the only one on earth who dislikes change. Now I can't post in People anymore, where I've been posting for a year.. because my subjects are kids. I have to check 6 forums instead of 2. :( And I still don't understand why we have a General Photography Talk forum and a General Chat forum (Lounge) where all topics are photography related.

_aravena
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 15:07
That makes no sense considering there is a Kids and Family area. Last I check that equals 1 but maybe my math is off?

I agree on the later though but if you actually visit each one you can see the difference so explanation is obvious. Bringing us back to what are you complaining about?

gary88
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 15:20
Love the new changes :cool:

Destined evolution for POTN?

zeva
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 15:20
yay :)

AndreaBFS
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 15:24
That makes no sense considering there is a Kids and Family area. Last I check that equals 1 but maybe my math is off?

I agree on the later though but if you actually visit each one you can see the difference so explanation is obvious. Bringing us back to what are you complaining about?

Huh? Now I have to go to Kids and Family, People, Talk about Photography General, Talk about Photography People, Talk about Photography Kids and Family... OK. That's 5. I used to just check people and talk about photography to cover all of those. That doesn't even take into consideration all the other forums that have been split up, too. OUCH!

_aravena
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 15:28
You don't have to...

The idea is to break things down and yes there will be some more visiting, but I can understand. moving that mouse around gets annoying.

This is kind of the same thing where people complain they have to click on a thread only to find out it's not exactly what they want so they get pissed and want more specific titles. Heck, I think all posts should be reviewed now, I want my 2 mins back for reading about such a pointless complaint. :rolleyes: You have to click more...

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! STOP THE CLICKING!!!!!

Also...I love this part. You can't post in people anymore but yet you still have to view the People forum and the Talk About People forum although you CAN'T post in there anymore. Interesting. Because I never photograph motorsports, transportation, G&N, and a few others I can never go there. Seenow you have to go to 3 areas, Kids, talk about Kids, and General since you can't post in People anymore. Just trying to help! :D

Pekka
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 16:26
Even in the mall you have to walk between shops :)

Flo
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 16:27
I love the sub forums , cuts to the chase.super endeavor Mods.I know how much work it is...

Pekka
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 16:30
As usual, I'm the only one on earth who dislikes change. Now I can't post in People anymore, where I've been posting for a year.. because my subjects are kids. I have to check 6 forums instead of 2. :( And I still don't understand why we have a General Photography Talk forum and a General Chat forum (Lounge) where all topics are photography related.

Fell free to use tabs on your browser. Mouse clicks are cheap, too.

General Photography Talk is for photography talk (the serious stuff) - technique, methods, theory etc. Lounge is for chatting about in easy-going manner.

Woolburr
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 16:35
Wow...go on vacation and come home to a world of changes! Looks very good...Now all we need is a Fine Art section...:D

number six
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 17:28
I like the expansion! I've found some interesting threads that were buried before.

And I'm delighted to see the addition of the Astronomy and Celestial Talk section.

Uh, so what's there? Well, 83% of the posts are in a thread entitled "Paranormal photography". Yep, ghosts. :lol:

That thread has been lying dormant for a week - I think I'll revive it. I wanna get a picture of the Title Fairy!

:cool:

-js

Zipline
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 18:17
WOW! I missed this announcement thread about these changes, but when I logged in today I saw right off the bat that something was different. Doing some scanning, I found this thread.

Pekka (and the mods) you've done a great job with this. Being a website owner myself (nowhere near to this extent) I know how time consuming it can be. I can't imagine how much time you all spent planning and executing these new ideas, but it looks great and I thank you! :)

My personal favorite change is the new Wildlife forum. I love wildlife and looking at photos, but don't really care for floral photos that much. Now that they're in seperate forums it'll be a lot sweeter for me personally.

Again, thanks for all of your hard work. This is by far the best photography site out there. :)

AndreaBFS
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 18:24
Wait... what? I can still post kids and family in people, then?? I'm not sure why we split them up if we aren't required to post in the appropriate forums?

Pekka
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 18:33
Wait... what? I can still post kids and family in people, then?? I'm not sure why we split them up if we aren't required to post in the appropriate forums?

You have most excellent attitude! :)

Yes please try to post in appropriate forums.