PDA

View Full Version : 5D Mk II and Concerts

Zonieart
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 15:15
Just a concern I have. I shoot 2-3 concerts a year. These venues allow SLRs and L lenses with no problem. However, they all ban the use of recording equipment. My fear is now that Canon and Nikon have added video capability to some of their SLR products, we may lose the ability to take an SLR into these performances. Most promoters won't know the difference between models, so they won't be able to tell which SLRs have video and which don't. Your thoughts?

johnms88
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 16:34
Unlikely that event staff would be even remotely educated enough to know that the mk2 records video.

As long as photographers don't abuse the fact that it has video, there should not be a problem.

skifurthur
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 17:30
I'm not so sure about event staff not knowing the difference. I actually got a call yesterday asking about the new 5D and did it really shoot video. I said it did and they mentioned that they will have to figure out how to screen those bodies out. I suggested they let their publicity firm, which handles media credentials, let outlets know that certain bodies will not be allowed for use.

I'm sure many other acts don't have the ability to screen, but some will.

johnms88
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 18:08
"F/S: 5D logo sticker. Replaces the sticker on your mk2 so it will allow you into places that dont allow video. $100 plus shipping/paypal "

I can see it now..........

I'm not so sure about event staff not knowing the difference. I actually got a call yesterday asking about the new 5D and did it really shoot video. I said it did and they mentioned that they will have to figure out how to screen those bodies out. I suggested they let their publicity firm, which handles media credentials, let outlets know that certain bodies will not be allowed for use.

I'm sure many other acts don't have the ability to screen, but some will.

narlus
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 22:04
it would absolutely be ridiculous if people were not allowed to use a 5D mkII because it's got vid capabilities. i bring my 30D into shows that say no flash, but the pop-up flash can still work.

this camera (should) have the best low-light performance of any Canon body...to think it would be disallowed from use is insane.

and who would burn through one song to record video using manual focus???

skifurthur
27th of September 2008 (Sat), 06:31
I agree that it is somewhat ridiculous to screen for video capable cameras. I stated that to my associate. But then again, I saw the commotion that was caused by a major network film crew taking video when they weren't supposed to. It was as if an assasination attempt was unfolding.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Me, I'm going to just keep taking photos and forget about video capabilities.

narlus
27th of September 2008 (Sat), 09:09
i have no interest in taking videos, but a lot of interest in the 5D mk II

Zonieart
27th of September 2008 (Sat), 12:38
i have no interest in taking videos, but a lot of interest in the 5D mk II

I'd love to have the high ISO available during concert shoots. I'm really looking forward to seeing some sample shots at high ISO settings.

oaktree
29th of September 2008 (Mon), 11:19
I brought this up in connection with shooting NBA basketball. My local arena allows "non-professional" DSLR, but absolutely no video camcorders. But, they seem not to care about cell phones and P/S that can record video.

The "owners" of the NBA teams aren't dumb about photo equipment even though the people at the gates may be. So, my worry is that since very few workers at the gate know that my XTi has no video capability while the 5D mkII does, the NBA owners will just say no DSLRs :(

johnms88
29th of September 2008 (Mon), 13:02
I'm sure if I wanted to spend 3-5 grand i could find a super tiny video camera that I could sneak in and do the same thing.