PDA

View Full Version : What's your thought?

sj022698
11th of February 2005 (Fri), 20:21
I have the digital eos rebel with the standard EF-S 18-55 MM kit lens. I am wanting to take photos of concerts, sports, etc....... What is the difference between a zoom lens and a telephoto lens? How important is the image stablizer? I don't have much to spend. For this type of photo taking do I need to get a telephoto or a zoom lens. I want to be able to take a photo of the entire band and the backdrop without it blurring. Please help. Any suggestions of lenses are also welcomed.

Thanks,
Justin

cramski
11th of February 2005 (Fri), 21:24
I have the 28-135mm IS f/3.5-5.6 and it is a great lens. The IS does not help stablize the subject, if subject is moving, it will be blurred if your camera is not set right. But what it does do is enable you to shoot two stops down without a tripod, with is great. It is my everyday all-around lens, its wide enough for me and has enough reach also.

As far as a difference between tele and zoom, I dont think there is.?

A good lens with Image stablization, economical, good all-around focal length IMO would have to be the 70-300mm IS.

smudge
12th of February 2005 (Sat), 09:54
85mm 1.8 is not a zoom, i.e it doesn't ZOOM in or out, but it is considered a telephoto or medium long lens.

cactusclay
12th of February 2005 (Sat), 10:15
Well, Justin, it sounds like if you want the whole band and the backdrop in the same picture, in focus, then you need to get up close with a wide angle lens and probably use a flash. Or, you could get far enough back that you might be able to use a longer fast lens. I suggest you go to your local camera store and put some long lens on you camera and see which one might give you the composition you are looking for. In order to freeze the action you are going to need somthing like a 500th of a second shutter speed, which might be difficult in low lighting situations, hence the wide angle and flash option.