PDA

View Full Version : What You'll Need for Good Video on the 5D II.

gooble
29th of September 2008 (Mon), 20:25
Follow the links for pics of the kind of rig you'll need to get quality video out of the 5D II. What do you think? I kind of dig them.

http://prolost.blogspot.com/2008/09/dogs-and-cats-living-together.html
http://prolost.blogspot.com/2008/09/what-should-movie-camera-look-like.html

TheHoff
29th of September 2008 (Mon), 20:26
Oh that just rocks w/ the articulating screen and built in NDs. How did they get that together so quickly or what else was it meant for?

gooble
29th of September 2008 (Mon), 22:14
Oh that just rocks w/ the articulating screen and built in NDs. How did they get that together so quickly or what else was it meant for?

I think they're just standard video camera rigs and I seriously doubt the screen does anything (how could they get video out short of tethering to a laptop, which is theoretically possible but where would you put the laptop?).

FlyingPhotog
29th of September 2008 (Mon), 22:19
I was wondering when the video-gencia would pick up on this...

It does look like someone is having a bit of fun though. As was mentioned, getting the video out is problematic and there's no need/use for an Anton Bauer battery pack either...

The larger manual focus knob would be handy however and the dual grips/shoulder pad would certainly be a steadier way to shoot than holding it at arms length like a P&S.

gooble
29th of September 2008 (Mon), 22:27
I was wondering when the video-gencia would pick up on this...

It does look like someone is having a bit of fun though. As was mentioned, getting the video out is problematic and there's no need/use for an Anton Bauer battery pack either...

I agree but I've had the thought from the day the 5D II was announced that it ought to have it's own specially designed rig to allow stability while focusing and zooming and stability in general.

Video out is a real impediment though becuse if you're hand holding the camera you have to have it out in front of you so you can see the screen but that's the least stable way to hold it.

What's got me thinking now was that guy that connected a Nintendo DS to his 5D and was able to control it via the DS touchscreen however it had no video like you'd get with tethering it to a computer. Now though there has been a huge boom of these tiny laptops that are sometimes only a few hundred dollars. Surely it's possible to run the EOS utility on one of these barebones ultra portables running Windows XP (EOS utility won't run on Linux will it?). Maybe even disconnect the Screen from the computer and mount it like you would on a video rig somehow. I just know somebody's gonna do this.

bsaber
29th of September 2008 (Mon), 23:40
Just curious, does anyone know what the two grip and shoulder pad thing is called?

opus13
30th of September 2008 (Tue), 00:18
it's just a rail system. here's a pretty well described on on the red site (http://www.red.com/accessories)

bsaber
30th of September 2008 (Tue), 00:26
Ah, thanks.

gooble
30th of September 2008 (Tue), 07:48
I just listened to the TWIP podcast and Alex mentioned that he'd seen the 5D II doing video out to a display via HDMI. Why didn't I think of that. That's all you need to get a feed to a small monitor for video use.

Why has nobody mentioned this? Too obvious maybe?

FlyingPhotog
30th of September 2008 (Tue), 09:29
Forgot it had that...

bieber
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 10:11
This is what you need for good shoulder-mounted video on the 5DII. Slap it on a good pan/tilt head and you won't need all that crap.

gooble
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 12:42
This is what you need for good shoulder-mounted video on the 5DII. Slap it on a good pan/tilt head and you won't need all that crap.

You'll need a place to hold an xlr adapter, mic, monitor and the stuff to aid in focusing among other things. These rigs are useful no matter whether you're hand holding or have it on a tripod. They also let you distribute the parts around to balance the weight so when you have it on a tripod it's balanced and won't want to flop off to one side all the time.

bieber
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 13:40
You'll need a place to hold an xlr adapter, mic, monitor and the stuff to aid in focusing among other things. These rigs are useful no matter whether you're hand holding or have it on a tripod. They also let you distribute the parts around to balance the weight so when you have it on a tripod it's balanced and won't want to flop off to one side all the time.

Sure, it's all nice to have, but far from necessary (and very expensive). Considering that the 5DMkII isn't going to be particularly amazingly functional dedicated video camera anyways, I can't see anyone seriously investing that much in stuff to make it work better as one. Unless they already have it all, in which case, well, they probably already have a video camera too ;)

TheHoff
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 14:56
Sure, it's all nice to have, but far from necessary (and very expensive). Considering that the 5DMkII isn't going to be particularly amazingly functional dedicated video camera anyways, I can't see anyone seriously investing that much in stuff to make it work better as one. Unless they already have it all, in which case, well, they probably already have a video camera too ;)

Right. It seems like you're building a rig just to use the sensor when Canon, if they've solved the CMOS jiggle, really needs to put the sensor in a proper HD cam with good ergonomics and a similarly low price.

bieber
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 16:22
Right. It seems like you're building a rig just to use the sensor when Canon, if they've solved the CMOS jiggle, really needs to put the sensor in a proper HD cam with good ergonomics and a similarly low price.
This would be amazing, but probably not economical. Remember that shooting stills, we're only using that sensor for one frame every couple of minutes or seconds. Leaving it on all the time, I'm afraid, would introduce some whole new battery issues. That being said, there pretty much is a camera like you're talking about already: problem is that Red costs tens of thousands of dollars ;)

NickJushchyshyn
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 09:01
Here's the thing ... my wife and I shoot photography using our 1DmII and 1DmIII.
We also have a GL2 which only gets occasional use.
HDV cameras have been around for years now, and I've never been motivated to buy one, since I know I'd only use it occasionally (and I'm saying this being a feature film VFX artist).

At the 5DmII price point ... I'll get FAR more use from my investment having high-end HD video quality in a DSLR that I can use as a DSLR (especially for shooting portraits) than I would get from "just" an HD camera.

Bring on the 5D II !!!!!! (just give it 24p please. :) )

gooble
29th of October 2008 (Wed), 16:37
Here's an update to my original post.

The same folks, Redrock, that made the rigs in the images of my first post now have announced that they'll have DSLR rigs out November 1st. No pricing available. Here are some features:

-Rock-solid 15mm support system
-Follow focus for accurate and repeatable focusing
-Swing-away mattebox for light management and easy access to changing lenses
-Shoulder mount and handgrips for steady handheld use
-Support cage for enhanced stability and low angle shot

See their product page here: http://www.redrockmicro.com/redrock_dslr.html

I noticed that they're not offering a monitor. This should be fairly easy to implement and there are quite a few small monitors coming out in the market now like this Samsung http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SPF-85V-Wireless-Internet-Mini-PC/dp/B001E29N4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225316137&sr=8-1 . Unfortunately it's USB. We just need some that have composite or HDMI inputs.

osv
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 16:21
I noticed that they're not offering a monitor. This should be fairly easy to implement and there are quite a few small monitors coming out in the market now like this Samsung http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SPF-85V-Wireless-Internet-Mini-PC/dp/B001E29N4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225316137&sr=8-1 . Unfortunately it's USB. We just need some that have composite or HDMI inputs.

you can't do serious focus pulling with that $200 monitor... ideally, the monitor would display the full 1920x1080 native resolution, and have a portable power supply... you could easily spend as much or more than the camera itself cost.

gooble
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 18:58
you can't do serious focus pulling with that $200 monitor... ideally, the monitor would display the full 1920x1080 native resolution, and have a portable power supply... you could easily spend as much or more than the camera itself cost.

I wasn't suggesting that that monitor would be ideal just that there are many affordable little monitors coming out.

This company seems to have screens that appear to work with the 5D II http://zacuto.zenfolio.com/p408746338